Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AC AdapterBatteriesPro3Pro3 ProblemsProblemsUSB Tester

Matterport Pro3 - included AC adapter problems?17558

RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone else who have received their Pro3 had any issues with the included AC adapter for the battery dock/charger? With the charger connected to the dock via the USB C to DC header cable provided, it is not registering battery at all when seated, no lights, nothing.

Testing the power supply at the DC end I found that it is flapping in and out, giving only between 1-5V, then 0V, over and over using either of the C ports on the adapter.

The charger dock specs call for 20V, so beyond flapping to 0V every other second, it's not anywhere near the right voltage.

Tested the cable on another AC USB C power adapter and found consistent voltage delivered to the tip, ruling out the cable as the problem. Luckily I have a variable/universal AC adapter that supplies the correct voltage as a workaround - but I am mostly curious if this is a wide spread issue, or if I'm just the lucky one! :p

On the good side I have confirmed that there is at least a workaround should anyone else have the issue and also not be able to wait for a replacement from MP.

I do have a ticket in with MP as well, and will update this thread with what they say about it, and what they ultimately do about it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
One small update - I was a bit surprised to find that when I connected the charger THROUGH my USB tester it suddenly is passing proper current.

The low amperage is likely because the battery is already fully charged (via my other adapter).

I'll see what happens after the battery has been discharged enough to need charging, but very very strange..

I now wonder if it's the base unit not properly registering the need for current from the AC adapter, vs. the AC adapter not responding.. Either way, it's still defective, and still needs to be replaced.. but figured I would update for anyone to nerd out on should they feel like it.

Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @RichardStanton
I do have a ticket in with MP as well, and will update this thread with what they say about it, and what they ultimately do about it.

@RichardStanton

Please do let us know what Matterport Support says. Perhaps what you have identified is the reason for delayed shipments?

Best,

Dan

@MatterFix any thoughts on @RichardStanton discussion above?
Post 3 IP   flag post
IFTI/PROvision
Solutions
Director of
Operations
Concord, California
everly private msg quote post Address this user
For the record, the charger for the Pro3 that I received has the exact same issue
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by everly
For the record, the charger for the Pro3 that I received has the exact same issue

@everly

Oh! That's not good.

@RichardStanton

Did you hear back from Matterport Support about the Pro3 charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardStanton
On the good side I have confirmed that there is at least a workaround should anyone else have the issue and also not be able to wait for a replacement from MP.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Greetings all, apologies that it has been a while since my post on this, however I now have some information to share.

1. When I contacted MP support, after a few back and forth basic triage questions it was deemed to replace the full charging lineup (adapter, cable, battery cradle).
2. The only shipped a replacement cable, and once realized I submitted a query asking what happened to the other items, and if this was now a known issue to be with the cable itself. (at the time I had pretty much assumed that the adapter had to be at fault, I've never seen a cable alone cause that kind of fluctuation before, even when damaged.
3. Cable was received prior to the new adapter, decided to test it anyway... and it worked, much to my surprise.
4. Once the new adapter was in hand as well, decided to make the best of it and do a bank of tests to solidify the findings on the cable being the root cause, and submitted to MP (they seemed unsurprised, which I had been expecting at this point anyway)

Tests done:
Criteria for PASS in the first 4 tests = Battery inserted into cradle under the given test conditions. Cradle LEDs go through a startup cycle. Battery charges
Criteria for FAIL in the first 4 tests = No LED startup cycle, no battery charge, no response
Criteria for PASS in the last 4 tests = Stable 20V delivery
Criteria for FAIL in the last 4 tests = No stable 20V delivery

* Tested the new cable with the old adapter: PASS
* Tested the new cable with the new adapter: PASS
* Tested the old cable with the old adapter: FAIL
* Tested the old cable with the new adapter: FAIL
* Measured the output of the hot end of the old cable / old adapter : 1-5V fluctuation, bouncing to 0V at a steady cadence: FAIL
* Measured the output of the hot end of the old cable / new adapter : 1-5V fluctuation, bouncing to 0V on a steady cadence: FAIL
* Measured the output of the hot end of the new cable / old adapter : 20V Steady at the hot end: PASS
* Measured the output of the hot end of the new cable / new adapter: 20V Steady at the hot end: PASS

@Everly I would be curious to see if you end up with the same results, so please do let us know. From what I can infer from this whole thing, however, is that it's most likely a very known issue, and that the cable is also most likely the root cause in said cases.

The workaround of a universal AC adapter that can supply the proper 20V DC at at LEAST 1.5A is a solid stand-in while working to get things righted. Just remember the rules of power adapters. NEVER EVER play around with the Voltage requirements, too little or too much voltage can damage your device. Amps, however, you have more flexibility - Amps are fed on demand, so a 20V 3amp adapter can feed a device that needs 20V and 1.5amps with no issues, the device only gets as much power as it needs. This remains true as long as the amp requirement is less than or equal to the capability of the adapter's output. Do NOT go below the required amps, however, or you also risk damaging your device by starving it for power. e.g., powering a 20V 1.5A device with a 20V 1.0A adapter = Don't do it, powering a 20V 1.5A device with a 20V 1.5A or higher Adapter = OK) I would also suggest avoiding no-name Ali-Express type adapters unless you have the equipment to test the output yourself first to ensure it's stable, and that it is delivering what is advertised.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab: Matterport Pro3 Batteries ($154.99) ordered today (20 December 2023) are scheduled to arrive 5-9 January 2023 via Amazon

Matterport Pro3 Batteries Ordered Today (20 December 2022) Scheduled to Arrive 5-9 Jan. 2023 via Amazon

Hi All,

I (just) noticed that Matterport Pro3 Batteries ($154.99) ordered today (20 December 2023) are scheduled to arrive 5-9 January 2023 via Amazon.

Select "See All Buying Options" in the top right.

Buy an extra Pro3 battery charger ($129.99) for your home (and keep one with your Matterport Pro3 Camera)?

Happy holidays,

Dan
3:50 pm ET Tuesday, 20 December 2022
Post 7 IP   flag post
101428 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?