Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Buy CameraLeica BLK360Pro3Versus

Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner versus Leica BLK360 Scanner/Camera17382

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner ($5,995 or $7,995)
versus
Leica BLK360 Scanner/Camera (2nd Generation) (Starting at $22,400)

For many Matterport clients that use - or planning to buy - Leica BLK360 Scanner/Cameras, I could imagine that the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner is a price breakthrough (provided that the Matterport + Matterport Pro3 accomplishes the same thing as Matterport + Leica BLK360).

Plus, I could imagine that the Matterport can afford to make its money on services (rather than hardware):

1. Matterport Cloud accounts
2. Matterport Add On such as: MatterPak | E57 File | BIM File
3. Matterport Matterport Capture Services On Demand

For those using a Leica BLK360 (and/or Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera, I am curious about what are the advantages of the Leica BLK360 (if you are only using it with Matterport) versus Matterport + Matterport Pro3 LiDar Camera/Scanner?

Seems like Matterport may have made buying a Leica BLK360 Camera/Scanner - specifically to use with Matterport only - irrelevant.

Even if the BLK360 is "better" the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner is likely "good enough" AND a business could buy three (3) Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanners for less than one Leica BLK360.

That's amazing!

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan.

I think the other thread brought up a big point for BLK360 + Classic plan users.
And that is the Pro3 only accepts new professional plans, and cannot transfer to classic plans.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Australian price which I have mentioned in this thread is very close to what I have paid for my BLK360

I am glad that a retail price in USD for USA is less than $6000 not $8000 as was assumed before. However a pro3 from an Australian reseller is AU$13000 which is almost US$9000

I could see a potential switch from a BLK360 to a Pro3 since I use the BLK360 with Matterport only. However I cannot see it is happening at an Australian retail price.

Plus so far I can keep a model with BLK360 scans on a classic account but with a Pro3 I cannot. If you own just a Pro3 then a classic account is pointless to keep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
a little off topic but how would you market it? who to? new markets you would go after? are you going to sell hosting more or get agents to get their own hosting?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, a little disappointing Classic plans like mine, do not qualify for the MP3. A bummer. This camera is great for including the entire outdoors to the model.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennTremain
a little off topic but how would you market it? who to? new markets you would go after? are you going to sell hosting more or get agents to get their own hosting?

If you are asking me I use a BLk360 for matterport on every 2nd/3rd job. So if it is replaced with a Pro3 it is pretty much fits in already.

If an Australian distributor is really happy to rent it for $253/month($230+10% sales tax) I will rent it first to see what I am getting compared to using a BLk360 instead. If it is similar but much faster I will be looking to swap. I hope by that time Materport may decide changing their decision and lets at least transferring it to classic. If not I am not sure I will swap at all.

Most of the time I use my BLK360 where a lot of outdoor scanning involved. It can be my own clients from business/realestate or from a couple of contracts I have for venue places.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
I HATE the blk

it's so finicky and always crashes.. of course I'm speaking of the first generation one.. haven't tried the new one. I rented one recently for a batch of jobs and had to return it immediately after over 30 failed scans. Went through the expense of shipping it to get a. replacement and now having same issues. If the camera gets hot in the sun, forget it. And I firmly believe that living at altitude affects this camera. After speaking to someone who used the exact camera I am using at sea level, they had very few crashes. I get them constantly. I will NOT be using the blk ANYMORE!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Aeronautica3D private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my hesitation on buying either

1. After I looked more into the Iguide, it appeared that there was less accuracy than expected (based on some videos of people testing accuracy); also I am assuming (and could be wrong) that the lidar on the MP3 will be similar to the Iguide. In a 9 foot square room, you could be out as much as 1/2 in or more?
In some cases this may be okay, but suppose you have a client requesting best accuracy possible, would you tell them the MP3 is just as good?....

2. wow leasing at 250/mon is fantastic.

3. My hope was that maybe the MP3 would be cheaper to repair...so still checking on this. Blk repair turn around times are 8-12 weeks. Also need to check on repair costs and times for the Iguide.

4. If MP3 lidar similar to accuracy of Iguide, I would go Iguide. Some videos showed the user okay with the accuracy for their use. They claim better floor plan dimensions.

So today I'm supposed to apply for credit to buy a bunch of used blks. But I'm having second and third thoughts.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Sorry guys I got it wrong but I was commenting on the way it was advertised by Scann3D.

So the price from Scann3D for a Pro3 is for Matterport Pro3 acceleration pack which they have not mentioned on their website. So it is not really that huge price difference between a price in USA and in Australia. That's great as I do not like buying professional equipment as a grey import.

And rent of AU$251.90 is not a rent rate it is a monthly payment under their leasing programme if you go for 5 years lease. And you can choose from 2 to 5 years. For two years it is about AU$630/month
Not bad but I will still be looking for test driving it and only go for just a camera bundle without all these extras included.. plus may be 2 extra batteries.

I got it all from their reply to my request about "renting" it. I asked back if I could just get a cheapest Pro3 bundle under the same lease and explained that I would like to test it first and waiting for their reply.

Actually leasing it is the most interesting option for me as I do not need to get rid of my BLK360 and possibly a Pro2 just to fund paying for a pro3 in full straight away.

Scann3D has mentioned Pro3 cameras are coming to them at the end of this month.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Matterport PRO3 and BLK360 Comparison - Outdoor - Direct Sunlight | Video courtesy of MeloDrone Media YouTube Channel | 5 October 2022
Post 10 IP   flag post
EMILIANO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Video: Matterport PRO3 and BLK360 Comparison - Outdoor - Direct Sunlight | Video courtesy of MeloDrone Media YouTube Channel | 5 October 2022

Hi DAN,

after watching this video, I didn't buy the Leica BLK360 (used but in excellent condition at €14,000) and I decided to buy the PRO3 (I occasionally work with real estate agencies to create VIRTUAL TOURS) but I mainly use it to take measurements with LIDAR.

E.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILIANO
Hi DAN,

after watching this video, I didn't buy the Leica BLK360 (used but in excellent condition at €14,000) and I decided to buy the PRO3 (I occasionally work with real estate agencies to create VIRTUAL TOURS) but I mainly use it to take measurements with LIDAR.

E.

EMILIANO

I am glad that the video was helpful. Because you use the Pro3 for measurement and LiDAR, this WGAN-TV Podcast episode may be helpful:

166-WGAN-TV | Matterport MatterPak and E57 File and Matterport Pro3 Camera versus Pro2/Leica BLK360

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
EMILIANO private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I had seen and listened very carefully to your 166-WGAN-TV podcast, it was very useful for me to decide which product to invest in between BLK360 G1 and PRO3, and even if the accuracy is 5 times lower, taking due precautions when scanning (taking measurements with a laser disto for framing) I can assure you that you reduce this accuracy gap to measurements that become only slight "smears".

I start by saying that my surveys are mainly on historic buildings that are more than 200/300 years old and even more, therefore very irregular and on more recent buildings with construction tolerances ranging from 3 to 5/8%.

I'll give you an example: on a survey carried out with PRO3 (which I had previously measured with a total station) on a scanned area of 900m2 (about 9700ft)... on average hit point measurements with a total station at 30 /35ml (100/ 115ft) I have an error of about 3.5cm (0.110/0.120ft) with a tolerance of 0.2% on the measure.

It took me 32/33 minutes to detect the batch (with a battery change and restart including the PRO3, while with the total station it took me about an hour and 45 minutes... I can be happy or sorry if I have the 0, 2% error and takes less than a third of the time?

Everything can be improved, but now for me it's already maybe beyond my expectations.

E.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@EMILIANO The new BLK, scans at around 30 seconds, depending on your output quality. It also outperforms the Pro3 for precision measurements and also is way better for BIM and construction progress work VS Matterport on big projects.

For hitting that tolerance how many extra scans had you have to do? For outdoor scans, I will use the RTC360 or P90, maybe Pro3 or Pro2 for outdoors if it is like a home, I see this as a solution for the Matterport hobbyist MSP trying to score a quick buck.

Use Matterport for visuals only, or homes, offices, and small fit-outs. Makes sense why Matterport is not supporting the new BLK, as it knows it outperforms it.

Use the right tool for the job, don't be Mcguyever, and try and make a plastic knife into a swiss army knife.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Aeronautica3D private msg quote post Address this user
How are you presenting high precision data to your customer (from BLK360,RTC360,P90), if not in the matterport environment? Which method are you using to allow the client to view the pointcloud to get measurements on a browser? Trueview? etc... Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
101729 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?