Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidCGIGeariPad ProTablets

πŸ–²οΈπŸ’  Matterport Android Tablet specs ?17232

WGAN
Fan Club
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
skyload300 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,
Looks like I will have to buy an Android tablet because my iPad Pro (iOS) does not allow importing 360 photos (to create CGI tours).

What or which Android tablets brand/models do you recommend for Matterport?

Minimum and Recommend specs pls.

Thanks guys!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
Following.

I bought one on the spur of the moment but I found afterwards that the best ram with android was not with a tablet it was a smart phone. There are Sony Xperia models that rival iPad Pro in ram.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
@Meidansha problem with smart phones is the screen size!
I am on a Samsung S20+ who's is amazing but screen size is not optimal for scanning tours !
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@skyload300 I am following because I just started researching this also because I want a larger screen and want to build a tour. Please keep us updated on what you get and how does it work.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
@ron0987 I use iPad Pro 2021 which is doing a great job.
I highly recommend powerful iPad for Matterport.

But iOS does not support 360 imports (if you want to build CGI tours) and also does not support manually moving scan points to help minimize misalignment.

That's why I am researching Android based tablet.

Hisham
Post 5 IP   flag post
inmerso3D private msg quote post Address this user
It has to have 3 GB of ram or more. It is the most important thing, if it is missing it will not let you install the capture.

If, in addition to CGI, you want to use it to capture, it must have a gyroscope (something that almost all of them already have).

And already as a personal opinion, that it be with android 10 or higher, and the equipment with some recognized brand.

Regards
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
@inmerso3D thank you for the inputs,
Will take it into consideration.

iPad pro is really great for Capturing spaces.

To answer your question, I just want to use the Android tablet to import 360's to build CGI tours, but I guess it's all the same since (for capture app) it thinks we did an actual scan/scan points so the same workflow applies. (Unless you have a different answer).

Thank you for your inputs πŸ‘‹πŸ˜Š
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
It is possible that by the time you find and buy a good Android device to work with Capture Matterport adds the same features into their app for IOS. These features were made for testing on Android a few months ago so at some point they will be in IOS too.

I could move to Android from IOS for production but there is no BLK360 support on Android. So unless Matterport adds it to Android I will stay with IOS.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
@Wingman hey Wingman, been a while 😊

Yeah, I get you, but without Android we can not create any CGI (as far as I know).

I am currently using my Samsung S20+ to import the base model.. but of course you can imagine, markings, windows, trims are going to be a headache on a small screen!

Matterport did not release any teasers with regards to Android features moving to iOS (importing photos, moving scan points, groupong scan points..)

I sure hope we get it soon .

Good to hear from you.
Share with us one of your latest work on BLK360
😊
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
I’m using a Lenovo Yoga. It was the best ram for buck available in the store when I walked in. If I had time to wait I would have done more research.

Pros
1. Has a handle built in.
2. Has enough ram to handle the job (6gb I think).
3. Unusual shape (wide rectangle) that works well with what we do.

Cons
1. The shape at the back (curved to fit in your hand) makes it impossible get a cover so it’s risky taking it out.
2. Con of android in general: can’t do Leica..

Conclusion:
I bought it to use in my office to upload DSLR 360s anyway but it may be possible that I use it on site in the future with a pro 2 so if that happens I will have to be careful not to drop it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman @Meidansha this has always been an issue with Matterport. When I first started they said probably never have an android app, 8 years later now android. The catch is android allows the merging of 360 panoramic photos but iOS does not. I wish they would focus on one platform. I currently do use a IPad Pro primarily for Matterport. I want to experiment with doing a model and import DSLR 360 to compare them side by side in a processed model with a Pro 2 camera. Or better yet pull out the old Pro model and throw in a few DSLR 360 for use. Just having an issue throwing money into another tablet that may or may not be worth exploring.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyload300
@Wingman hey Wingman, been a while 😊

Yeah, I get you, but without Android we can not create any CGI (as far as I know).

You can if you do not focus on Matterport. I posted in another CGI thread an online platform where you can create interior in 3D and render them as flat images, 360 ones or a video. They also offer to create a virtual tour. They charge less than $10 for subscription and I have not seen anywhere they mention that you need to pay for a tour. So if your client is not insisting on making a Matterport tour from CGI I think it may be a better option to make tours that cost you only $10 to host with no limit on how many you host. I am sure you have seen it but just for others I post a link to it below

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/17189/page/1/how-to-build-a-full-cgi-matterport-tour/#22

Quote:

I am currently using my Samsung S20+ to import the base model.. but of course you can imagine, markings, windows, trims are going to be a headache on a small screen!

I am with you. A phone is easier to handle on a job due to its size but its small screen is usually why you do not want to use it. At some point I wanted to get Samsung Fold which has a 7 inch screen. However it was double I paid for Samsung Note 10+ and I was short on funds so I went with 10+
It is fast as it has 12GB of RAM.

But to be honest I am waiting more on manual alignment to come to IOS. 360 Import is great but ability to fix misaligned scans manually is way better.

Quote:

Good to hear from you.
Share with us one of your latest work on BLK360
😊

I have a job this Wednesday to do a child care centre. I have done two for the same client already and it includes extensive scanning with a BLK360 for their outdoor areas. I will share it here when it is ready.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
I want to experiment with doing a model and import DSLR 360 to compare them side by side in a processed model with a Pro 2 camera. Or better yet pull out the old Pro model and throw in a few DSLR 360 for use. Just having an issue throwing money into another tablet that may or may not be worth exploring.

I do not know if it is any help to you but you can compare these two. This tour has been generated from DSLR 360s in 72MP that I have captured for Google Maps.

And these are original 360s on google maps. I cannot say if resolution is the same but something happening with 360 images after import. They seem to be much brighter than original. And it is not just me, others are noticing it with their imported 360s

Post 13 IP   flag post
101425 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?