Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
PhotogrammetryQuestionsSketchFabTrim

How to export to Sketchfab or 3D software to trim model?17199

ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Over the years I have dabbled in photogrammetry and creating models from photos. After years of looking at several software's and trying them out this is what I found.
1. Price of software for photogrammetry has come down and is very reasonable.
2. Software is way easier to use and has become more automated.
3. Final product way better that I have ever expected.
4. Workflow from start to finish easier.
5. Output or export product file is very extensive and more compatible with other software.

Response to above in same order.

1. Sample project see attached photo below, that only cost me $1.93.
2. I found two in-expensive software products and I am highlighting one that Dan posted on awhile back. Reality Capture.
3. Judge for yourself on final product.
4. Workflow start to finish about 1.5 hours. On site about 30 min to take 105 photos. I will say I found the better the camera and lens the better the outcome. I used a Nikon D600, Sigma 12-24 Art lens. Reality Capture software about an hour on the computer. But have use smartphone to take photos and process them with success. A majority of my computer time was trying to figure out how to pay for model. I had been using the free pay per use. Which I got to say is a fantastic way to go because software produces model for free and if you don't like it you move on or adjust it or ad more photos. I did see not all my photos were used but a majority of them were. These photos were all taken at ground level and did great on this three story building. If I would have taken the time to elevate the camera or use a drone the upper levels would have been more complete.
5. Can be exported in several file formats point cloud or mesh.

I would like to export to Sketchfab or 3D software to trim model and complete a four-sided model. I just don't know enough on that software to do that.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Saulius private msg quote post Address this user
Youtube/realityCapture/Tutorials
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Usually photogrammetry software provides a few trimming tools that help to remove unwanted mesh/point cloud. if yours does not have it and you only need to trim CloudCompare can do it and it is free.

Here is a video

Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Saulius @Wingman thank you for the input, the trim function I am familiar with. The thing that I am not familiar with is after you trim it is to complete the model. In this case the building was attached to a second less attractive building. I would like to trim that business and recreate the back wall and side wall that is missing to create a four-sided 3D model. Being able to either create these walls with an old brick texture or clone parts of the existing walls and build it from that.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101636 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?