Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MTTRNewsQuestion of the DayVHT Studios

Question of the Day: Your thoughts about Matterport Acquiring VHT Studios?17088

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN Question of the Day (All)

WGAN Forum Podcast | #115

Question of the Day: Your thoughts about Matterport Acquiring VHT Studios?

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Thursday, 7 July 2022:

Your thoughts about Matterport Acquiring VHT Studios?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Chapter 1,489 of the book "The Race to the Bottom"

As the saying goes:

Fast
Good
Cheap

Pick Two!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Another step to push out some of the independent shooters. This could get some traction in larger markets but, once you get out into some of the more challenging geo-locations like the Pacific Northwest where I live and operate out of these pricing models start to break down quickly.

I have turned down several opportunities to shoot for some of these "national networks" as the jobs simply do not pencil for the time and effort and what they would like to pay out.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch

Couldn’t agree more. They are going to attract “kiddies with cameras” to do this kind of work - kiddies who will jump ship to the next greatest opportunity. Our real estate community here hasn’t generally latched on to those nationwide services anyway. I actually see fewer of them around and doing work compared to a few years back.

Wish MP would stick to their core competency and quit trying to vertically integrate their product/ service. As Kevin so aptly put it, they are on another race to the bottom.

Keith
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@Chemistrydoc

I am partially to blame for scan services. I had had a round table meeting down in Sunnyvale a few years back talking about how Matterport really needed to qualify shooter’s if they were wanting to get any traction with real estate brokerages at the time I was imbedded within a 1,000 agent company that had 3 different national brand’s C21, Coldwell Banker, & Sotheby’s international realty
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hopscotch private msg quote post Address this user
My initial thoughts on the acquisition.

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Home3D
@lilnitsch
@Chemistrydoc
@Hopscotch

I mention each of you in my commentary and analysis:

=> Matterport Acquisition of VHT Studios: 9 Reasons This is a Bad Strategy

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
New York City
Jonathan_Klein private msg quote post Address this user
VHT should have acquired GeoCV and defended the IP similar to that of which they did successfully against Zillow!

Matterport may be one of the hottest startups in Silicon Valley right now, but its growth strategy is anything but unique.

In fact, it seems to be following the well-worn path of many tech companies before it: rapid expansion through acquired technologies and customer bases.

This strategy can be highly effective, but it also comes with some risks. For one thing, it can make a company reliant on a small number of large acquisitions for continued growth.

This was certainly the case with Yahoo, which made a string of large acquisitions in the late 1990s and early 2000s in an attempt to maintain its momentum. However, these acquisitions didn't always produce the desired results, and Yahoo ultimately stumbled as a result.

Another risk is that acquired companies may not always fit well with the acquirer's existing business. This can lead to internal strife and conflict, as was the case when Google acquired Motorola in 2012.

While Matterport's growth strategy may not be groundbreaking, it has so far been successful. Only time will tell whether it will be able to continue this success in the long run.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Matterport's acquisition of VHT Studios | Video courtesy of Showcase University YouTube Channel | 11 July 2022

(I suggest that you start watching at 4:15 into the 19:06 video.)
Post 9 IP   flag post
101729 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?