Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360BLK360 G2Leica BLK360News

New Leica BLK360 G2 released today [Tuesday, 21 June 2022]17013

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
This is from Leica BLK360 group.

"BLK360 G2 Released today - $23,400 USD No Mission Kit Extras.
Unit has VIS like RTC360, Records Data on Internal HD and has RTC or RTC360 LT workflow where CF 360 alignments are pushed to the Hard Drive: Share data to HxDR directly from the field - High Speed HDR 45m range 50mm to 6mm @10 m Density
Been a great Hexagon Week here in Vegas!"

Youtube video can be found
Post 1 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.....

I was in the market for a BLK360, but my leica rep didnt tell me of this impending launch!
I could have sunk in money for a obsolete unit.

In the end, I didnt go with the BLK360 because testing out the scanned data, as well as other sample data, i found that the 'error' (or noise or whatever its called... eg the 'thickness' of a point cloud wall) was quite coarse. But the deal breaker was its sensitivity to black.
It couldnt capture even a matte black table just next to it.

Anyone know if this G2 has better scanning / point cloud fidelity?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman I also see scanning time is now down to 30 seconds - but that might be just for laser scanning and not the imaging. As with the normal BLK you can select between 4 settings depending on the quality of the mesh you want. So scans can take from 3 - 6 min per point. So the workflow is a pain.

Also shooting outdoors, the camera starts to overheat and you will have to let it cool down, and it eats batteries.

But can be a great replacement for Matterport, but for the guys charging $99.00 for any size space, this will not suit their cheapskate business.

I was in contact with Leica today and will get their demo unit for a couple of days to play with as we are buying some units for upcoming projects and the timing could not be better.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Thank you for being first in the WGAN Forum to share this (big) news!

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
I was in contact with Leica today and will get their demo unit for a couple of days to play with as we are buying some units for upcoming projects and the timing could not be better.

@Gerhard

Please do share your hands-on experience with the Leica BLK360 second generation scanner.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: On-site with the new BLK360 | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 22 June 2022
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialpixels
Wow.....

I was in the market for a BLK360, but my leica rep didnt tell me of this impending launch!
I could have sunk in money for a obsolete unit.

I wanted to assume Leica did not tell anything to their distributors. However at the same time how they are going to sell something new when they know about only a new release public announcement at the same time as their customers. Probably the rep kept it a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialpixels

Anyone know if this G2 has better scanning / point cloud fidelity?

Sorry, I do not think anyone got any extra info about it by now so we all know only what Leica says on the product page is available.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
@Wingman I also see scanning time is now down to 30 seconds - but that might be just for laser scanning and not the imaging. As with the normal BLK you can select between 4 settings depending on the quality of the mesh you want. So scans can take from 3 - 6 min per point. So the workflow is a pain.
Leica says it is 20 seconds in the video description. Not sure at this point what it is about.

Quote:

Also shooting outdoors, the camera starts to overheat and you will have to let it cool down, and it eats batteries.

Now I can confirm it is a problem as at first I did not run into it but then it started happening. I was doing a childcare outdoor area in direct sunlight and it lasted 30 minutes, then suddenly the scanner turned off. I though it was a battery but tried at least 3 fully charged and it was not turning on at all. Leica may have a warning about it if using their original Cyclone360 software but Matterport has nothing to say about it. But I must say an iPad is not better. When I was doing a Golf course business to promote their venues in full sunlight both turned off but at least Ipad software warned me about overheating. And since it happened after the child care job I new the reason the BLK360 shut down.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@Wingman

Thank you for being first in the WGAN Forum to share this (big) news!

Dan

I was kind of surprised I was the first to let WGAN members know about it. I just came from a job doing almost the whole old pub in Brisbane called Regatta Hotel. Not sure why they are called hotels as I have done at least 6 of them(more than 30 at least are coming) and never seen any hotel rooms in them.
Started at 6AM and finished at 2:15PM, got ack quick as it was just 10 mins drive from me. Then checked new posts in a few professional groups on Facebook and found this news.

It is great Leica has this new improved model of BLK360 and it may drop significantly an asking price for used BLK360 G1. so people who do not mind the first model and cannot afford to buy a new unit they can get them cheaper now. However for those who own the first model it may be a very sad news because it may be a huge flood of old models offered for sale from people wanting to switch and now they have to drop their price and they are going to loose too in its value.

But what is unclear for now whether Leica has some improvement in wireless connection range & stability. Let's just be honest for $18 000 that the first model is sold for it is totally inadequate.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Wingman, yes you hit the nail on the head.

The new BLK will have 4 settings for your point cloud density. if you read the manuals, you will see it has its limits outdoors also.

People only using BLK for Matterport is missing the point of the scanner, its a bigger revenue model than Matterport.

Some Stats:

3D point accuracy: 4 mm at 10 m, 8 mm at 20 m

Scanning Limits:

Dense+ and HDR >300 setups

Fast+ and LDR >1500 setups

180Gig Internal Memory

Point density mode / Resolution[mm @ 10m] / Estimated scan duration [MM:SS] for a full dome scan

Fast+ / 50 / 00:07
Fast / 25 / 00:13
Dense / 12 / 00:30
Dense+ / 6 / 01:15

Image capturing time:

LDR 00:08
HDR 00:20
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Actually I have just discovered through the same group that the first version has a coverage of 60m(radius)while the next one is only 45m. I actually thought the first one has 30m radius and the new one is 45m. That's wrong.

So in terms of how far the new model can see it is downgrade by 25%. In resolution of 360s it is the other way around.

I do not think these extra 15m is important if it is going to be used it with Matterport only.

2Gerhard: you are right, using it just with Matterport only it is like using it only to a small percentage of what it can do. It's just subscription cost to Cyclone is quite pricey.

I have downloaded some sample BLK360 data registered from Leica website. It is e57 format so I cannot get it into Blender 3D. However I could load it in Zephyr 3D Flow. I'll need to make it structured and create mesh before I can export it into Blender. Looking for ways to do it as I cannot find any "Make structured" command in Zephyr like somebody told others a few years ago about similar unstructured point cloud.

It looks very great considering there are only 23 scans

If you want to play with it you can download it from here

Post 11 IP   flag post
101640 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?