Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Business PlanHelp WantedVirtual Reality

new horizons for virtual tours16895

eduandresc private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone,

I know this might be an uncomfortable topic, but I deeply believe that virtual tours and their related technology will move into new industries and new use cases as time goes on.

On this way, I am currently working with a partner who works for several prosecutors' offices, trying to develop a solution to immortalise crime scenes in order to be able to review the scene before the respective expertise takes place. This will make it possible to recheck if anything is missing after the investigation or to be able to check if anything new needs to be taken into account.

Do you know which platforms are suitable for this purpose? I think the most important criterion is to have the information on a protected platform with restricted access and a platform that allows to have this kind of sensitive material on the site.

Thanks!

Eduardo
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Depending on the country, most law enforcements would need the images hosted locally (not on the cloud), or if it is on the cloud, stored in the same country.

If you are looking for a walk through tour (matterport, etc) then you would need to account for the time on site, speed required and all the other limitations that go along with that. You would also need to consider what impact you and your equipment being on site would have in the crime scene (think your tripod moves a knife or bullet casing) and could this contaminate the scene and jeopardize a case.

We did some work similar to this before for the local police (not crime related, but prevention) and it involved many hoops relating to data security. If it is an active crime scene I could only imaging the additional challenges that come with that.

You would need to weigh the risks v rewards on this. You would need to carry some additional liability insurance I would assume, but if you think there is a business model there with this, go for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@eduandresc I agree and see that unfolding before my eyes with some of my current clients, as I introduce them to possibilities that 360 scans can provide. There is a litany of useful cases depending on the industry The we get around forum is one of the most important places for me to acquire valuable information relating to us virtual tour professionals. Here's the bottom line, the applications are endless, and we're only limited to how much time we have in each day, and what our imaginations create.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen some video recently produced by a Leica total station owner who is using it for exactly the same. Matterport is greatin resolution but as like @Jamie mentioned they need to be private and not accessible to any public. Plus they most likely want some precision than Matterport can deliver.

I will see if I can find that YouTube video in my history and publish it here.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Here it is

Moreover Leica itself has videos pushing these user cases into people's head so no surprise it is being used. Just search youtube for "crime Leica" and you will find plenty of videos produced by Leica.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@eduandresc there are several platforms that do this, Both Faro and Leica have 3d scanners that have been used for quiet awhile. Both have capabilities of self registration and self hosting. Faro has a program called Webshare which takes the end product and allow anybody view it take measurements but not manipulate it. Leica has an equivalent. But the scanner is expensive and it will probably require a long term relation ship with your law enforcement to trust you to come in and document the scene. Depending on how big a scene your talking about there is a new app just released this week that fits your criteria that uses an iPhone 12 or 13 with LiDAR. The app is called recon3d. The app designer is a Canadian engineer that has been doing this for about 20 years. Last but not least there are several photogrammetry programs that will do this, software not as expensive as a scanner but has a few limitations. Depending on budget photogrammetry a good choice, if your talking smaller scenes the the Recon 3d excellent choice. Not only do you got to get law enforcement on board you need to get prosecutors on board. One last idean is use a Theta z1 or any one shot 360 and use vista 3d where you put it together and no need process it that can be local host. But because that one easy to do they may want to do it themselves.
Post 6 IP   flag post
eduandresc private msg quote post Address this user
Guys, thank you so much.

After reading your comments I think that the solution will probably take the way of a camera/scanner + software pack that could met both local hosting regulation and data security.

My partner now is consulting to a judge and a prosecutor in order to get more info about local legislation.

If we make it to get to a prototype or any kind of pilot I will be sharing my experience here.

Thanks again!
Post 7 IP   flag post
101641 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?