Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AutosCarCar DealerCar ShowroomDollhouse ViewPro2

Car showroom with Pro2 - Dollhouse view looks like car wrecks!16461

ChrisTaylor private msg quote post Address this user
I did a Matterport for a local car showroom today using the Pro2 and am really disappointed with the results I just got back from Matterport. In Dollhouse view all the cars look like they've been in car wrecks, it's not a good look at all.

I saw in an old post on here someone shared a space of a showroom they had done and that has the same issue but no one has mentioned it. I've not finished tweaking my one from today yet so the example I mentioned which has the exact same issue is here: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=hwU8zmzmDTC

Is there a solution to this?

I have just tried marking all the car windows as mirrors & kicked off a new upload to see if that will make any difference but I'm clutching at straws tbh. Seems this technology still has a very long way to go.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
You'd need to get a lot higher to have the top of the vehicles scanned... otherwise the data isn't there to have the entire vehicle in the dollhouse view.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps offer the client the option to have dollhouse turned off altogether?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you, I did do a number of shots on a much higher tripod to get the tops of the cars but it's just got the windows all wrong and one of the cars seems to be pretty much see through - my scan from today is at the link below, it's just so full of errors I'm embarrassed to show it to my client but I can't see what I could have done differently?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=PdqnBaZUM9b
Post 4 IP   flag post
And as for adding 360 images of the interiors...arggh, there has to be a better way that Matterport can make for adding these. The way it randomly decides where to place the clickable links to see the 360 images and then get back to the normal view, even when you try to move it around and it just finds sticky points around the outside of the space and you have to choose the least crap position of one of those, drives me nuts.

The rotate function is also horrible and complete luck - I would really like to be able to place the link to allow the user to get into the 360 shot and then place the link to get out of it separately and with accuracy. To be able to choose the starting view of the 360 would also be useful rather than based on the rotate tool as I don't think the two should be inextricably linked. The current system is so shonky, I'm feeling really disappointed in Matterport, especially considering how much we have to pay to have our spaces hosted there every year.

I really thought getting the Pro2 would get faultless results but it's just so full of issues I'm losing faith. I'm fairly sure there is nothing more I could have done differently. Went through the whole space with it at chest height and then did a selection if it above head height to get the tops of the cars, hid those points from the tour as they were just to try & get a good dollhouse view.

And to think I got up at 5:30am to ensure an empty showroom for this!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Perhaps offer the client the option to have dollhouse turned off altogether?
I could but the novelty of the dollhouse view is what sold the whole idea to the owner.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Did you mark the windows of the car as mirrors? That might help? Or I wonder about using the Cortex function to take a 360 image and convert it to 3D? That might help as well.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
Did you mark the windows of the car as mirrors? That might help? Or I wonder about using the Cortex function to take a 360 image and convert it to 3D? That might help as well.

Thank you, I did wonder if that might help so marked them as mirrors and kicked off the upload about an hour ago, will post on here if it helps.

Not heard of the cortex function, will Google it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Queen_City_3D Have found some info about Cortex on Google but can't work out how to access it myself, do you have any info on it please?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cortex is the conversion of 360 sweeps to 3D.

This can be useful for filling in sun spots on a scan or filling in water for swimming pool, etc.

Here's a tutorial:

https://support.matterport.com/s/article/How-to-Convert-a-360-View-to-a-3D-Scan?language=en_US&ardId=kA05d000001DX0zCAG
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
Cortex is the conversion of 360 sweeps to 3D.

This can be useful for filling in sun spots on a scan or filling in water for swimming pool, etc.

Here's a tutorial:

https://support.matterport.com/s/article/How-to-Convert-a-360-View-to-a-3D-Scan?language=en_US&ardId=kA05d000001DX0zCAG

Fantastic, thank you so much
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D Has all the answers I would suggest. Incomplete scan job at this point. using these ideas can get you a much better product.

Post 12 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
Car dealerships are indeed a nightmare. It's all the light and reflections. Matterport hates shiny black cars in particular. If you start entering Mattertags you hit a whole other level of problem too as they can be seen "through" the cars. That can be solved using trim around every car.
Yes I had to switch off the dollhouse and the dollhouse in the open mode.
I did regular 360 scan inside the cars with small tripod, mainly worked.
But the dealer still gets a lot of views 18 months on.
Good luck.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTaylor
Is there a solution to this?

I do not think you can do anything with Matterport here as you are trying to scan objects with metallic paint that are highly reflective for light colours or absorbing light if they are in dark colour.

I have not done a car showroom but I have done a restaurant with a demo car packed near by. The car was not a part of a restaurant and belonged to a Mercedes dealership that was just behind a wall. But I did not know it at first and since the owner was German, the restaurant name was in German I thought they were just promoting a German brand for somebody else. So I scanned it all the way around and event did it from high points to get a roof 3D data. It still did not work. Have a look

As you can see it is as bad as yours even with a lot of visible scans around. There are even more scans as some of them have been hidden.

Matterport cameras have not been designed for scanning objects in great 3D details. I would still bet you can scan a fabric couch or any big piece of furniture with none reflective surfaces if you scan frequently around and changing a camera height. But with cars it is just not possible because of their specific paint.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTaylor
Not heard of the cortex function, will Google it.

WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Cortex
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I was the digital marketing director for car dealerships for 20 plus years so, I would suggest turning on the interior lights and infotainment system, and do a 360 scan directly in front of the audio screen. And also try a few scans with the camera above the roofline of the vehicles.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
What could you have done to fix all this? I'm guessing the only hope would be to use the BLK360 camera on high detail mode. You would have to wait about 5 mins between scans...but it would probably work...and of course scan high above the rooflines too. The matterport pro3 can't get here soon enough. So many issues with Pro2 lately.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
McLaren Mexico City | Matterport Digital Twin by 3DPlace.mx Owner Manuel de Sevilla

Matterport Blog (24 February 2022) Take your time choosing your favorite McLaren sports car in this virtual showroom
Virtually visit Mexico City to jump in the driver’s seat of every amazing vehicle
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Matterport Digital Twin of Lamborghini Mexico City presented by 3DPlace Owner Manuel de Sevilla

Matterport Blog (20 September 2021) Virtually visit a dealership in Mexico City and get behind the wheel of a Lamborghini - Explore these iconic Italian luxury sports cars from anywhere in the world thanks to 3DPlace
Post 19 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Nice dealerships but horrible dollhouses and floorplans again. Black or blue cars are even worse. I think the only answer is to switch them off and do a good drone video perhaps as an alternative.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
5StarScans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelray
What could you have done to fix all this? I'm guessing the only hope would be to use the BLK360 camera on high detail mode. You would have to wait about 5 mins between scans...but it would probably work...and of course scan high above the rooflines too. The matterport pro3 can't get here soon enough. So many issues with Pro2 lately.

If only we knew when that Pro3 was getting released....
Post 21 IP   flag post
@5StarScans how do you think Pro3 could help with this issue?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
I don't know when, even if there is a Pro 3 coming. We just purchased my first Pro2 camera at Adorama in NYC this past week. The rep told me that Matterport told them the Pro3 would be released in the fall of 2020....seems to have never materialized.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@5StarScans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StarScans
I don't know when, even if there is a Pro 3 coming. We just purchased my first Pro2 camera at Adorama in NYC this past week. The rep told me that Matterport told them the Pro3 would be released in the fall of 2020....seems to have never materialized.

Here's my prediction:

==> Why Matterport will Build/Sell a Leica BLK360 Clone for Less Than $7,500

WGAN-TV Forum Podcast

Dan
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod after digging into more details about their performance of the Leica blk360 I was a little disappointed that one scan takes several minutes.

So does that mean that you can complete a matterport model with less scans or is it just going to take two to three times longer if not more to produce the same model?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
@DanSmigrod after digging into more details about their performance of the Leica blk360 I was a little disappointed that one scan takes several minutes.

The Leica BLK360 captures at a higher dimensional accurate tolerance. If you are doing scans for AEC that convert it to BIM models in the AutoCad type conversion programs, the Pro2 doesn't capture down to that level of accuracy. That may be why it takes longer.

From what I read, the Pro 2 is accurate to a 2mm level across a space while the BLK360 is accurate to 0.02mm across the same space...that small difference will generate a compounding error that is not acceptable in point capturing a space to convert over to a 3d model. If just scanning the space for visuals, seems they would be the same and yea, the longer time might not be worth...but maybe a newer model/clone will address that...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesHH
@DanSmigrod Nice dealerships but horrible dollhouses and floorplans again. Black or blue cars are even worse. I think the only answer is to switch them off and do a good drone video perhaps as an alternative.

Do you think at some point there will be a drone mounted camera that will scan like the Pro2...just set a height for it to shoot at and a path around the space and let it rip...

That would be really cool...don't see why its not do able with enough resources put behind it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: xCar Showroom Ice Hotel Matterport VR Tour Demonstration | Video courtesy of Things To Do in YouTube Channel | 29 June 2023
Post 28 IP   flag post
101436 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?