Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
How toMatterport AxisNewbiesTripodVideo

How to set the Matterport Axis tripod base for the most stability?16419

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport Axis: Unboxing, Setup and Calibration with Amir Frank | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 8 February 2022 | Part 1 of 2

Video: Matterport Axis - Motorized Mount for 3D Scanning | Hands On Overview | Video courtesy of Adorama | Tuesday, 8 February 2022

How to set the Matterport Axis tripod base for the most stability?

Hi All,

Which is the correct way to set the Matterport Axis Tripod Base:

1. As shown in the Matterport produced video (top) at 02:18 to 09:46, or

... as far as the base is concerned. What a lot of people are going to do is put this all the way out, something like this, that gives them a really nice slide foot.

However, it's not quite that simple. This is actually not going to be the most stable position. Not only that, this is a little bit wide for pretty much every staircase that I've ever been on. It's not an ideal position to bring this is wide as possible, instead, what I'm going to do is bring this up and have it right about here.

I wanted about an inch, two inch and a half below this bottom clamp and then I can go ahead and tighten it. I want to definitely make sure that this little bottom unit right here, this thing is not touching the table, of course are the floor and your case.

That's about it, and the reason why this is going to be a lot more stable is because this point right here where the three legs come together is much higher up. That's going to make the center post be a lot more stable.

That's it, this is how you want it, just remember that the three legs come up to about an inch two inch and a half below the bottom clamp. Tighten that down, make sure it's tight so it doesn't move and the three bottom sections are fully extended. This is going to give you a tripod that is about 4.5 to maybe 5 feet high when the cameras placed on top.

2. As show in the Adorama produced video (bottom) at 00:29 to 00:30.

Your thoughts?

Dan

P.S. Tripod height is a different question!
Post 1 IP   flag post
3DPhoto private msg quote post Address this user
Is the tripod worth buying for $10? It's so cheap, is it functional? I have a dozen light stands and numerous tripods, including carbon fiber travel models. I also have a video monopod with legs. Last thing I need is a cheap stand that can't be used for other purposes. Seems a regular tripod with adjustable legs will be better on stairs. I have a Manfrotto Nanopole stand designed for that as well. Has anyone found the Matterport stand is faster or more stable than what you already own?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV: Matterport Axis Motorized Mount Smartphone Rotator: 1st Impressions | Guests: Gilroy, California-based Dave Avilla, Real Estate Photography and Coldwell Banker Realty Agent | www.CBnorCAL.com | CalDRE # 01075392 and Jeff Nitschke, Owner, CaptureNW covering North Idaho and Eastern Washington State | www.CAPTUREnw.com | Episode #141 | Thursday, 14 April 2022

WGAN Forum Podcast #90

@3DPhoto

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @3DPhoto
Is the tripod worth buying for $10? It's so cheap, is it functional? I have a dozen light stands and numerous tripods, including carbon fiber travel models. I also have a video monopod with legs. Last thing I need is a cheap stand that can't be used for other purposes. Seems a regular tripod with adjustable legs will be better on stairs. I have a Manfrotto Nanopole stand designed for that as well. Has anyone found the Matterport stand is faster or more stable than what you already own?

The tripod that ships with the Matterport Axis is NOT the tripod that is in the two Matterport videos at the beginning of this WGAN Forum discussion. The tripod changed.

On WGAN-TV Live at 5 on Thursday (14 April 2022) (above), we discuss the quality of the $10 Add On Matterport tripod at 32:03 into the show.

Does that help?

Plus, you can see examples of Matterport tours - shot with the Matterport Axis - in this WGAN Forum discussion:

Matterport Axis first impressions

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
3DPhoto private msg quote post Address this user
Perfect, thank you. Pros: Indoors it is fine, OK for the price, or someone just getting started. Cons: Fisher Price, entry level and indoors-only.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101438 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?