Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECBIM 360ConstructionConstruction DocumentationCUPIXCupixWorksPlanGridProcoreTranscriptVersusWGANTV Live at 5

Transcript: WGAN-TV CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport for Construction (AEC)15134

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
107-WGAN-TV: WGAN-TV: CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport for Construction Professionals with Cupix Product Manager Gannon Wilder (@Gannon_Cupix) | Thursday, 17 June 2021

Video of CupixWorks SiteView Demo
CupixWorks 2.0 Compare Side-by-Side of Weekly Construction Documentation

Video of CupixWorks BIM Compare
CupixWorks 2.0 Compare Side-by-Side of BIM to Weekly Construction Documentation

Transcript: WGAN-TV CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport for Construction Professionals (AEC)

Hi All,

Transcript below ...

WGAN-TV CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport for Construction Professionals (above) with Cupix Product Manager Gannon Wilder (@Gannon_Cupix) that aired today, Thursday, 17 June 2021.

This WGAN-TV show is for:

1. Architects
2. Engineers
3. General Contractors (large projects)
4. Building Owners
5. Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) teams
6. BIM teams
7. Construction Professionals

This show discusses how CupixWorks 2.0 compares to Matterport for:

1. Reducing Site Visits
2. Reduce Reworks
3. Track Progress
4. Prevent Disputes

Cupix Product Manager Gannon Wilder @Gannon_Cupix) also discusses CupixWorks 2.0 integrations, including:

1. Procore Integration
2. BIM 360
3. PlanGrid Integration

If you researching Matterport and potential competitors in the AEC space, this WGAN-TV show is for you!

I asked Gannon to show and tell us about the CupixWorks 2.0 3D tour viewing experience (compared to Matterport) and how CupixWorks compares to Matterport for:

1. creating as-builts (including exporting to CAD)
2. Side-by-Side: weekly construction documentation
3. Side-by-Side: construction documentation versus BIM model
4. large spaces
5. collaboration (including real-time)
6. site view examples
6. reducing rework
7. dispute resolution among project stakeholders
8. annotation
9. issue tracking
10. field reports
11. building's lifecycle: design, field Operations and handover
12. tight spaces, crowded spaces and dark areas
13. Side-by-Side: Aerial 360 within a Cupix 3D Tour?
14. Side-by-Side: comparison on aerial 360 to BIM?
15. BIM overlay (example) BCF (BIM Collaboration Format) | IFC (Issued for Construction)
16. BIM and point cloud deviation analysis (coming soon)
17. AutoDesk Construction Cloud Integration | AutoDesk Build | AutoDesk Take Off | AutoDesk BIM Collaborate
18. Procore Integration
19. PlanGrid Integration
20. How are RIFs handled? (Requests for Information)
21. 3D measurement
22. 3D annotations
23. CupixWorks Getting Started Hardware Kits
24. LiDAR support

I also asked about:

1. shooting (including time to capture; outdoors and which cameras) [single Shot, Multi-Shot, Video]
2. processing
3. hosting
4. viewing
5. backup/storage
6. pricing
7. 3rd party integrations

Among my questions:

I am the general contractor for a 25-story, 500,000 SQ FT office building renovation.

I am considering CupixWorks and Matterport to shoot weekly construction documentation (as-built digital twin).

1. How long does it take to scan this building weekly for CupixWorks? (how)?
2. Using CupixWorks, how does our team compare: BIM to actual weekly construction documentation?
3. Using CupixWorks, how does our team compare: week-to-week construction documentation?

Thanks to Gannon Wilder (@Gannon_Cupix) for being on the show today. I hope to have Gannon back to give us a tour of the Cupix backend content management system.

Thanks to Gannon Wilder (@Gannon_Cupix) for being on the show today. I hope to have Gannon back to give us a tour of the Cupix backend content management system.

Best,

Dan

Cupix Links

Cupix Website
CupixWorks 2.0 Landing Page
Cupix LinkedIn Profile
Cupix Facebook Page

Image courtesy of CupixWorks Website

Image courtesy of CupixWorks Website

Transcript (video above)

- Hi All. I'm Dan Smigrod, Founder of the We Get Around Network Forum. Today is Thursday, June 17th, 2021. And you're watching WGAN-TV Live at 5.

We have an awesome show for you today: CupixWorks 2.O versus Matterport for Construction Professionals. And here to talk to us about it is Gannon Wilder, Product Manager for Cupix. Hey Gannon, good to see.

- Hey Dan, thanks for having me.

- Gannon, how about we jump in immediately with a demo that shows CupixWorks BIM versus actual.

- Yeah, well essentially what Cupix does is, we enable you to take the small 360 cameras, walk around in a variety of different modes to capture a site. So we have a lot of unique algorithms of how we're capturing and processing the data.

- Awesome, Gannon, let's cover that. But let's first do the show so we can see what it actually looks like and then we'll talk about how you capture it and the magic.

Cupix got so much magic just on this one screen of being able to show a BIM model versus a Google Street View-like experience that I think that's the place for us to begin. And then we'll talk about how you do this magic.

- Yeah, okay then, we have a lot of stuff to show today, but one of the powerful features we built within CupixWorks is the ability to align your virtual floor within a BIM environment. And so this is a fully navigable space. It's not just a rendering of the model.

You actually have the entire live model built in. So as you navigate the space you can see the overlay of duck work and built walls. Just like in BIM, you have a variety of layers turned on.

So this one I think is actually without the interior wall layer, but this essentially lets you compare as-built documentations at a certain point in time with the design model.

- Anything that you can do in a BIM model can be turned on and off? So if you want to look at Mechanical, Electrical Plumbing , you can do that in your BIM model within the CupixWorks player.

- Yes. So you're going to upload it -- an entire full BIM model -- and then as you are going to turn on or off layers to be able to see specific areas you're interested in.

- Okay, and then what we're looking at on the left side is the actual 3D tour. So if you're actually walking through this space that's been captured in a point in time.

- Exactly and you're able to capture by video by walking through the site or in more traditional methods of where you stop, take a 360 panorama and move forward and we're able to track the position within it.

- Okay, could we walk a little bit more through the space? And it just automatically syncs to the BIM?

- Yeah, as you can see we're just moving through the facility.

- Awesome! Talk to me about the map that we're looking at, the floor plan, the 2D floor plan in the bottom left, please.

- Yes. Within CupixWorks the viewer is built for managing any variety of projects. So we actually can filter by layers and the specific project, we have just a single layer but if you have a multi-floor building, this drops down and you can actually see multiple levels.

So you can easily pop between different levels of your plan and then also easily track your position within that layer.

- So can I walk through this space by clicking on the floor plan on the bottom left?

- Yes. As you see, I can click and navigate in completely different areas as you're moving around. Every single 360 panorama is oriented within full six degrees of freedom within the 3D space. So within the 2D model or 2D plan and also like the BIM model.

- So you can click anywhere there was a 360 Panorama that was shot or just click on the actual space to walk through it.

- Correct.

- Okay. I think I see some annotations in the space. Can you point out what we're looking at on the left side?

- Yes. I can just turn on that view to see more detail of it. Yes. You're able to track issues, RFI tasks within the space and they're all tracked.

You can see I'm spatially on the map with you. So you can see where different areas are tagged and you can go, actually navigate to that specific area.

You can also see it from the list view and navigate from the list. And just while we're here, we can note that we do have several integrations with Procore, PlanGrid and BIM 360. So you can also pull data or push data from these systems and track it spatially where it's located on a 2D map.

- So, there's a seamless integration with, I think I heard PlanGrid, Procore. Was there another one?

- PlanGrid, Procore and then BIM 360.

- And BIM 360. So if the architects, engineers, general contractors building owners -- if they're using any of those existing platforms -- they seamlessly integrate with CupixWorks?

- Correct and really, the power that we enable is, we're not primarily an issue tracking system. We give you the ability to spatially contextualize these issues on your site.

So instead of only just looking at a 2D map floor plan, or just a static image, you can go to the issue, click on the issue, open it up, navigate fully around that environment to understand this issue. And we also give the capability to track what's been going on with this issue over time, because people are typically scanning -- maybe on a weekly basis -- maybe every two weeks or once a month. We have a list of multiple times this site is captured.

If I can't quite figure out what's going on in this photo, I can maybe go to the month before and automatically notice the transition was not in the same spot exactly. It's maybe five feet away from each other, but we automatically can detect the nearest pano to your location.

- A pano being a panorama 360 photo.

- Correct, yes, 360 imagery.

- So, could you give us a comparison of weekly construction documentation? In my mind, I'm thinking about a 25-story, 500,000 SQ FT office building that needs renovation.

We're doing --- a potential client is considering either CupixWorks or Matterport to shoot weekly construction documentation and take advantage of the platform's features. Could we look at a weekly construction documentation comparison?

- Yeah, definitely. So beyond being able to just navigate within a single view to different points within the timeline to see progress.

You can actually see them compared side-by-side. And as I mentioned before, we automatically find and detect where the nearest imagery is.

So the capture locations may not -- you don't have to manually sync them between dates. You just capture the entire floor on one day, capture the entire floor on the second date and others are able to sync together.

- Okay. So it may be hard for our viewers to see the label in the bottom/middle but that is a date of when the CupixWorks 3D tour was taken and then another date of the same space.

So this would be an example of maybe either comparing weekly construction or monthly construction documentation?

- Correct and it enables you to track progress of a specific location throughout your entire site and it gives you that archival and contextual awareness throughout the entire project.

- Okay, awesome. So forgive me, I interrupted you at the beginning of the show. You were starting to talk about how imagery is captured for this.

I think this is the context to be able to see BIM compared to actual or actual compared to actual in terms of progress. How do you actually create the imagery that's used in the CupixWorks platform?

- Yes. One of the big strengths of CupixWorks is, we have actually a variety of methods for being able to capture a site.

They all start with just the simple 360 camera. So we work with [many of] the different 360 [cameras]. You can see our list [www.Cupix.com] but essentially, walk around this iOS app on a -- most of the time an iPhone. You can use an iPad as well to capture a site. Now you essentially have --

- So for clarification, you're using either an iPhone or an iPad in order to run the camera but it's actually the camera that's capturing the image?

- Yes. So we only -- our algorithms specifically only deal with 360 imagery and our app enables you to capture it a couple of different ways.

So we have like high resolution HDR methods, where you stop, stand still, take a capture and then move around and then we're able to stitch each location together.

And that's a similar concept to what a lot of Matterport users do, that there'll be familiar with: different tripod locations going around, except this can be handheld -- held in really in any orientation, even if you stick it out to the side, stick it through a window or stick it through a shaft, an elevator core.

We're still able to orient the navigation and each image so that you're looking at it -- correctly.

- Okay, let me go a little bit slower with you. As capture is really an important feature of CupixWorks. So it's device agnostic. So any 360 camera can be used to capture imagery for CupixWorks.

- Several. Many 360 cameras can be used.

- Many? Is that because the Cupix app that works on iOS only works with certain 360 cameras?

- The behind the scenes of why working with different cameras. It's always calibration issues and things that ... So you have to do a lot of work to add a new 360 camera.

- Well give us the short list. What's the short list of under thousand dollars, 360 cameras that are compatible with CupixWorks?

- The primary cameras we work with are the Ricoh Theta line of cameras.

- Okay Ricoh Theta V, Ricoh Theta Z1, Ricoh Theta SC2.

- We specifically work with V and Z1.

- Ricoh Theta V and Ricoh Theta Z1. Okay.

- And then another one that we really enjoy using is the MADV 360 camera. It's not as well known but it works really well for our purpose. And our entire camera kit with the [MADV] is just like $300 to get started.

- Okay, we'll come to pricing later but any additional 360 cameras presently supported by Cupix?

- When we also work with Insta360.

- Okay so, Insta360 ONE X2, Insta360 ONE X. Insta360 ONE R.

- The ONE R and the ONE X: those two.

- Okay and, but not the X2.

- Correct.

- As of today.

- As of today.

- As of today, Thursday, June 17th, 2021. Okay, great then, and I believe you can use other cameras, but really, in terms of a fast, efficient workflow, these are the cameras we're really talking about.

- In terms of, I don't think we really allow integration with other cameras. So primarily just that list of four cameras.

- Okay and let's take the Ricoh Theta Z1E: a thousand dollar camera. three ways to use it or four ways?

- Essentially, there are four ways to use it. And I have just a quick little video just showing people.

- That'd be great.

- I can pull that up for you. And essentially there's a couple methods. First, there's the single shot. That's where, for every capture you have a floor plan on your phone. You just select where on the floor plan you are.

And then it just takes a static image and actually, through different capture modes, we also have different ways to hold the camera. You can, as in this video, use a monopod or some kind of pole like that.

You can use just a handheld selfie stick to hold it. Many people have a camera mount on their helmets. I think this one actually shows it. So here you can see you have a camera; the camera attached to your helmet.

And this is primarily used in video mode where it's easy -- you don't even have to hold anything in your hands. You can just click, go with the video and walk through the site. And just recently we did start supporting a different method to capture.

Lots of our customers were using this way on our site. So we're starting to make this a little bit more public now but actually allowing you to capture via a drone. So mount the camera on the drone and fly it, which is good for getting different perspectives of your site and for exterior views of the building.

- On the drone, do you still need to maintain connectivity with an iOS device?

- Drone workflow is a little bit different: so no, you do not. You capture the data separately, and then we have a different way to upload the data into our servers.

- Awesome! And that 4th method, I see Cluster Shot. Can you explain that?

- Cluster Shot is what would be most familiar to Matterport users. It's where you take a series of individual shots and then it's a different type of algorithm than a video where you're walking fluidly.

This -- you could essentially -- have the camera in any angle, around any variety of pieces of equipment and things like that, and take high resolution captures that way. So typically, most of our users do some combination of video shot and Cluster Shot on their projects.

- So, I imagine there's some trade offs and reasons. When do I want to use a single shot? Perhaps I am just moving a tripod or I'm just holding up a selfie stick with the camera, versus having a video captured.

- People like video and Cluster Shot because these are automatic processes. It allows them to just quickly place, capture throughout a site and move quickly.

Single Shot could be for people who want a lot more control and where their images are taken and they're maybe not taking as high volume number of captures. So perhaps you're happy just having a single shot in each room and you just want to place one imagery location in each room in the floor plan.

So you can go in there; snap one and then walk out. Whereas if you do a Cluster Shot or video, you're frequently capturing probably multiple shot images as you're walking into the room and then walk back out.

- Is there a trade off of the quality of the imagery of doing single shot versus video?

- The highest quality imagery relates to using single shot and also Cluster Shot. Each of those, you're taking a single frame from the camera and we also have HDR modes. So you can do the HDR modes that are built in with these devices.

With video, it's captured as a time-lapse video. So two frames every second and those videos do come in at a little bit more image blur; a little bit more exposure setting issues. So the videos are not as clear as single and Cluster Shots.

- So I imagine that if I am interested in speed of capture, particularly with weekly construction documentation, if I'm talking about a 25-story, 500,000 SQ FT office building under renovation, I probably want to be in video mode.

And I likely don't really care as much about the image quality. And so the speed of capture. Does that sound like when I would want to be on video mode?

- Yeah, and we really find people like a hybrid of both methods. So whether many times for large areas or areas where you don't necessarily have or need as high resolution then, you do the video shot because you can capture it so much faster.

But then for maybe key locations, really complicated areas where you want to get a lot of detail, then you switch over to Cluster Shot to be able to capture those key locations.

- Okay and the single shot might be, oh, the building's ready to be delivered. It's got all these nice finishes. You really care about photography.

Then you might move to HDR single shot in order to capture the space towards the conclusion of the project.

- Correct, yeah. So yes if you want more control over the site or you just want just a more simple method, yep, single shot, you're able to capture it that way.

- Do you have any estimates on how long it takes to do a capture? Ah, look at this, great.

- Yeah and you can see the difference is about 20X, depending on the environment. So everyone's familiar with site capture, but the complexity in the environment is always a huge factor.

So here we're comparing open warehouse space or maybe an outdoor location compared to an environment, maybe like an office building or complex industrial facility or factory that has lots of rooms or lots of equipment you have to move around.

So the fastest method is the video shot and we have customers doing a multi-hundred SQ FT facility on a weekly basis. So they do a lot of video, just put on the helmet, walk around and we've seen about 750,000 SQ FT an hour.

And that's just walking at a steady pace and video shot. Many times we say you walk like you have a hot cup of coffee; so you never want to be too abrupt in your movements but just a smooth and steady pace.

- So I am literally tingling looking at this slide because I'm either in amazement or disbelief. So I need your help. I need to understand a little bit more. Let's stay on this slide just for a moment: on open warehouse space using video, 750,000 SQ FT.

Can I even walk that fast? I mean, is that, and I'm thinking I, when I do rows of walking that kind of have the imagery connected, I probably can't be more than what, five to seven feet away or? Help me understand.

So if I was doing Matterport for example, which Matterport officially supports up to 10,000 SQ FT, officially supports up to 200 scans. I think they would probably push back and say, well, we have a way we can do a hundred thousand or 200 or 300, 400,000 SQ FT, but it probably max is out there and you may or may not be successful actually completing your scan.

So these CupixWorks numbers are really incredible, in terms of capture. I just want to see how best we can make it apples-to-apples comparison. So if I'm doing 750,000 SQ FT, is that based on the fact that I'm walking briskly and I'm doing a row every five to seven feet to my left.

- So it works a little differently in that, you don't necessarily have to have the spacing, parallel, between parallel lanes. If you're zigzagging, doing a little lawnmower pattern through a facility, you don't have to stay within five feet or 10 feet of each lane.

Typically, I'm looking back and actually I can show an example in a little bit. I think they're doing one in each bay. So it might be 20, 30 feet for each path but we're tracking the linear path that the person is walking.

- And will that still create a three-dimensional model that I can walk from, let's call it scan-to-scan-to-scan: scan-to-scan? Even though I was in lane one, I now can walk to lane two even though it was shot some distance away.

- Yes. So you're able to navigate or pull a 3D virtual space. If you have a model - a 3D model -- uploaded to your project, it's automatically located within that. If not, we're just automatically located within a floor plan.

- So looking at this slide, I can't overemphasize this, because this really just blows me away looking at it. Even if we go to many small rooms using video and capturing 35,000 SQ FT, I would say maybe a Matterport photographer could do 35,000 SQ FT, maybe 2,000 SQ FT an hour. So, essentially this is saying it's at least [17 Times] the speed of Matterport.

And I think if I was in the AEC space, one of the questions I'd want to ask Matterport is, "Hey, officially, how many scans do you support?" "Officially, how many SQ FT does Matterport support?"

So that you get that in writing, because, every time in the We Get Around Network Forum somebody who runs into a problem doing Matterport to do large space, it's because eventually Matterport comes back and says, "well, we don't actually support tours that are bigger than 10,000 SQ FT ... and, 200 scans," even though their salespeople will tell you, "[Matterport] can shoot 300,000 SQ FT, 400,000 SQ FT without a problem."

So get it in writing. That would be a great question to ask. So even doing 35,000 SQ FT for Matterport, even if it was possible, do 2,000 SQ FT an hour, that's still about 17 hours compared to one hour. Am I making this up here?

- ... That's one of the huge aspects, is most of the people on site -- many times they're not even capturing for a full hour each week. They might go walk around for 30 minutes, capture their site, come back to the office and they're done for the week.

- Yes. We've spent a lot of time on this slide because it is absolutely that important. If you are an architect. You are an engineer or you are a general contractor, you probably understand that the most expensive part of capture is actually the [time of the] person who's doing the capture.

So if you can capture in an hour with CupixWorks versus Matterport -- that might take 17 hours and struggle to actually process the model -- that's crazy!

- Yes. That's not the only aspect: the speed of capture is one and also the scale of a site is another. We don't have any limits on the number of images or number of captures we have on a site or even square footage. We have some facilities that are very massive.

I don't know the numbers but just these massive developments going on -- and we're able to load them all up and render them. It's pretty exciting!

- And in terms of capture -- so let's say we are talking about a million SQ FT. We'll go back to my example, a half a million SQ FT: 25 stories and a half a million SQ FT.

Does that have to be captured by one person or could five people all take a floor or take five floors of that building?

- Yes. It is possible to merge captures from multiple devices or multiple people together and then have them all synthesized in our viewer. So you could have, if you want to break up the work a certain way, you could have people --

- With a 25-story building, five people each doing five floors. But I think what I'm even hearing is 500,000 SQ FT for CupixWorks is not really a big deal for someone to walk the entire space every day or every week or every month, whatever's needed in terms of construction documentation.

But I asked because with Matterport, you can't merge floors from different cameras. You can use a different camera.

You can switch from a Leica BLK 360 to a Matterport Pro2 to a Ricoh Theta Z1 in the same shoot. But it must be one model that's shot. So you don't have the ability to have five different people all work on the same space in order to get the documentation done sooner.

Maybe we're talking about a space that has people and you're limited by certain hours and therefore you need to have multiple people do the data collection so you're not capturing during office hours or mall hours, for example.

- Yes. And that is a benefit of CupixWorks, is if you have multiple people; different cameras. Typically what we see is -- maybe you have one person tasked with -- "Hey. You need to capture every week at a specific time."

And you can go and capture the video; just walking around the site. And then other people that -- as issues come up or as key locations need to be tracked; "Hey. We have these three spots that we really want high resolution images. Can you go and do that?

And, so they might use a different camera; or a different method; video method versus Cluster Shots method but essentially you're able to merge all of it together into our viewer.

- I think when you were describing Cluster Shots, the interesting thing there is -- if you needed closeups of mechanical or plumbing, electrical, it's up in the ceiling.

You literally can! Or, around the boiler in order to capture depth data. You can just move that camera anywhere. That's really not possible with Matterport. You can't, in a practical sense, put the Matterport camera up into the ceiling, let alone tilted at some angle.

So that seems like a tremendous advantage of CupixWorks, when you've got odd spaces that need to be captured, particularly mechanical, electrical, plumbing related spaces. How about outdoors or any issues with capture outdoors?

- No limitations with outdoors because we're primarily only using it, it's just a standard 360 camera. We're not dealing with the infrared type of depth sensor, like Matterport has. So there's no limitations based on the infrared light.

- So if you were interested in doing, let's say the top floor that's under construction and there's no ceiling and the sun is pouring in, doesn't affect CupixWorks capture in any way.

For Matterport, I guess if you're in the AEC space, the question to ask Matterport is, "Help me understand the difference of a 360 View and the 360 Scan and help me understand what's the difference of the walk-around experiences and help me understand what I can measure and can't measure.

Because there's -- I think what Matterport would probably say is, "Oh! No! You can shoot outdoors. That's not a problem, you just use a 360 View; but again that doesn't allow the measurement I'm going to -- I could imagine with CupixWorks, no matter how you capture the data, you still can measure three dimensionally within the model.

- Yeah, that's correct. With Cupix: two aspects. So with the lighting, the only effect that the lighting has is similar to all cameras; just making sure that exposure is right. If you are going between a really dark place or a really bright space, just make sure -- just in video mode, it doesn't adjust as well as an individual shot mode does.

- Okay. All right. So I've come out. I completed my 360 photography. Let's say I did my video: 25-stories, 500,000 SQ FT. So an office building. Okay, how do I get it into the CupixWorks platform?

- It's similar to the traditional process people are familiar with for Matterport. You just simply upload the images; upload the scans to our servers, our cloud processes it. Our turnaround time is, at max 24 hours.

So typically, if people scan their construction project one day, they get it the following morning. Yes. And then from there you have it in your viewer and you can sort by dates, sort by levels and navigate your entire project.

- Okay. So I'm hearing 24 hours but I think I heard something else too. If it's by the end of the day, maybe I'm done on my job site, it's 6 or 8 PM.

Is there a reasonable expectation that I might wake up in the morning, be in the office 8 or 9 AM -- be on the site 8 or 9 AM -- and it's ready? So is the commitment level 24 hours but typically, it's still ready overnight for most of us in the United States.

- Correct. Yes. So max time that we kind of guarantee you and promise is that 24 hours, average times are much faster than that.

- Okay. So what I just suggest for our audience who might be thinking, "Oh. I'm looking at Matterport, but I heard of CupixWorks.

And I'm trying to understand the difference. Again, I would ask the Matterport rep, "if you have a model of 500,000 SQ FT?" The short answer is -- it's just not possible with Matterport -- but let's say it was a 100,000 SQ FT that you broke up the building into 25 models. You now have maybe 50,000 SQ FT or a 100,000 SQ FT. Ask the question, "how long does that take to process?"

---
(Continued below ...)
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
(Continued from above ...)
---

Because you might be surprised that it doesn't come back in 24 hours and it might take two days or three days, but there's certainly no commitment level that I'm aware of. Matterport to say we guarantee that we will process your model within 24 hours of that size.

- And one aspect that we also provide to our customers is after all the algorithms are done processing, we always have our customer success rep look at each model to QA it and to make sure that we're delivering a good result back to you.

And so we have people -- our customer support team actively working with our customers and making sure that they are able to capture their projects.

- So this is interesting, Because Matterport just processes the model automatically and sends it back. I think I'm hearing something slightly different here: our process is automated.

But that said, if there is an issue, we actually have a QA quality control person that's actually looking at it before it gets delivered in case there needs to be some cleanup or adjustments.

- Exactly. And there's -- because you're dealing with people; with a camera on their helmet, they're walking around a site.

Sometimes they just walk too fast or whip around corners, things like that. And so that's a situation where there are four frames where you ran around this corner, they kind of broke and they're not oriented the correct way.

So we'll fix it for you and then we get the feedback, but next time try not to do that again. And so that's the benefit, is we're able to work with our people to have success on every project.

- Awesome, okay. So the model has been processed. Talk about hosting. Cloud hosted. And is it ... can I host it on my own server or does it need to be cloud hosted? And if so, what's the security?

- That's definitely one of the benefits of CupixWorks, is we give you a lot more flexibility, in terms of data ownership, owning your data, in terms of where it's hosted, if you use AWS. If you have high security constraints, you can use private AWS servers.

There are government approved AWS servers. So there are a lot of options for you to own the data. Download the data or control it at the end of a project or make sure it's on approved locations during the project.

- And is there offline hosting as well?

- There's no offline hosting but there is an aspect for our enterprise level customers. Many times, the site documentation needs to be preserved for many years after a project. You are allowed to download the data to keep it in a secure file for archival.

And then we do have an offline viewer to be able to access it. But if you ever need to spin up that project again, say for example, we have many people using us through the pre-construction, during construction and the handover. So I guess more to facility management and over the entire life cycle of the building, if you're using it more from a facility management perspective, then you need to use the hosted version online.

- Okay, so let me see if I can break this down a little bit. So a typical client understands AWS, Amazon Cloud. Totally happy: know that it's reliable, secure and it's accessible.

But if I'm a super-large client and I have my own Amazon Cloud and I want the data hosted in my Amazon Cloud, that's okay with Cupix?

- Correct, yeah. We can set that up for enterprise level customers.

- Okay. So Matterport doesn't do that. So if you are looking at Matterport, ask your rep every which way to Sunday, "I have my own Amazon Cloud. I want it hosted in my cloud.

And if you get an answer, "Yes. Please get back to us in the We Get Around Network Forum because as far as we know, that's never, ever happened. Second, in terms of ownership and use of the data. So does Cupix take any ownership in the data? Does it use the data for any other purpose?

- So that is another aspect of this industry: people want to control their data. People want to control their projects. There is a huge liability; these huge projects online.

So we have it that customers do control their data and completely own their data. When they shut down a project or remove it, we don't have access to it anymore. So we do require them to save an offline copy.

- And does Cupix create derivative works from the data?

- There is an option that customers can opt into to allow us to use their data for R&D purposes. Much of that is our research related to all the algorithms, which is doing the processing.

- But that's an option if customers want.

- Yes. You can opt in. So if, if you are in the AEC space and you're comparing Matterport and CupixWorks, one of the questions you want to ask your Matterport rep is, "I understand that the user agreement allows Matterport to create derivative works from the models that we upload to the platform." And probe on that and if they say, "that's not the case."

Get that in writing. Because Matterport does create derivative works from Matterport tours and uses that in other ways and sells it in other ways and is likely to use it in APIs. So something to ask. It's likely that you'll get the answer that you own the copyright in your work, but the fact is, the copyright, your work can only be displayed within Matterport.

There's no offline hosting. So something to probe is ownership of data. Let's talk a little bit about password control and access. I think I want to ask this a little bit differently. It's an open-ended question. Tell me about the CupixWorks collaboration.

- Yes. We understand that on an active project, you have many different levels of people operating at many different locations or areas within the project. So we actually have a very detailed hierarchy of permissions in terms of groups of types of people that are allowed to view it. How much access they have. Whether it's view only. Whether it's view and comment.

Or whether it's editing the project as well. For example, we have owners who want to have access to the entire project, but if you're a general contractor and perhaps you're using this tool for your coordination meetings, you can give out access to CupixWorks to all of your individual subcontractors. But perhaps limit that by a specific level.

So only a single floor of a building. You could even limit access by specific dates. So only give them a date window in which they're allowed to view.

So there's many different options for controlling the levels of how much detail they can see; what they're allowed to do with that information; and then who can use it. So we have a very robust system specifically designed for the AEC industry.

- So what I would suggest anyone that's interested in just thinking about Matterport versus CupixWorks, ask your Matterport rep about collaboration because [Matterport] collaboration is super-limited in terms of the admin of it or I've given someone access to annotate and unless something's changed recently, that's about it.

So all the different granular descriptions, Gannon, that you've described for CupixWorks is just not even an option with Matterport collaboration, access and permissions. I think CupixWorks has some collaboration features in terms of real-time and annotation. And maybe, could you talk a little bit about that for CupixWorks?

- Yes. The annotation feature -- we showed a little bit of that earlier -- The big aspect that we enable is, in many ways, just a standard issue tracking. Standard logging of questions, tasks, RFIs, but what really makes it unique is that spatial component.

Being able to navigate it within a 2D model, within a 3D model, knowing exactly where these issues are, go and jump in and look around.

And the one other benefit is, we do have a lot of deep BIM integrations. So depending on which, we have active integrations directly with BIM 360, PlanGrid and Procore.

But if you're working with say, some facility management software or some other system, we can actually export all this data in what's called the BCF format, which is a new BIM specific industry format for maintaining all the metadata of the information, as well as the spatial location. So you can move it in and out of our system.

- BCF, BIM Collaboration Format.

- Correct.

- So it sounds like -- if you're trying to make a decision between Matterport and CupixWorks, one of the things to ask your internal team is which platforms are important to us.

So if PlanGrid, Procore and BIM 360 and perhaps yet other BIM related solutions that can integrate with BCF, is to ask Matterport, what integrations they have. Because, when I look at CupixWorks, one of the things that strikes me; it's a living three-dimensional model that allows for annotation by any trade to document problems, challenges and to easily pinpoint it within a three-dimensional model as opposed to, "Oh. I've taken a photo and I've emailed it off to someone."

Do you want to talk any more about how that annotation fits into reducing site visits or reducing rework or tracking progress or preventing disputes?

- Yes. I mean, the biggest thing is really just providing all the information in one place. So having a single hub that can act as, like you said, your living, breathing, as-built documentation. Another popular term is the digital twin.

So really documenting the history of all these issues within the space. You have the timeline of issues over time, of the photos over time. A couple other things that I'll mention. We also have, when you bring up the concepts of a BIM, we essentially understand the site at like three different levels. We understand it on the level: what floor are you on at time.

What point in time are you looking at? And you can also look at the concept of rooms, which is an area or a grouping of information.

So on a large project, you can have a table of, if you have a BIM model and you import your Revit model, it can automatically extract the names and an area of different rooms. So this is another way for you to manage or quickly navigate to specific areas. "Hey. I want to go to this classroom and see what is happening here and separately..."

- Gannon, forgive me, the print is so small. I am having trouble with it. Could you just, in a big picture, describe the columns and the rows.

- Yes. Here on the left is the list of rooms. So, this is the same concept in your BIM model or floor plan. You have different room names. I think if I make this map bigger, we can see that in a second. And then to the right is, this is the time-lapse aspect. So overtime, a capture on June 4th, a capture on July 19th on September 13th. So you can go to a specific date and time and a specific level.

- And how hard is it to find that annotation in a specific room on a specific date?

- If you know the name of a space, you can just type it in and query and it'll just find it right here. So we even have a search bar. So if you know you're looking for specifically mechanical room 105 -- or anything -- you just type in MEP 105 and you can find that; query it.

See what dates you have captured. In this case, we have all dates captured. It's possible you might have a capture; a couple of times but not every time.

- Yes, so when you called up that specific room, it called up the 3D tour and BIM models for that room. And now I imagine with those, either those tabs at the bottom, the labels at the bottom of each 3D tour, that you can change the date or in your information panel at the right, select one of those markers by date to take you there. So it looks like you have two ways to get there.

- Yes. You have many ways to get there. You can search by the name in the search bar. Go to a specific room. You can pick a date in the table view. Pick a date in the main view. So it really depends on -- even how you like to think. You're in a project and you're just thinking, "I want to get to this area." We make it easy to navigate that section.

- And can you just take us through the annotation and either point out if that's PlanGrid or if that's that part of the Cupix native platform for annotation?

- Yes. So within the native application for annotations, we have the ability to even create templates or groups.

So depending on the type of projects you're on, you can even have preset forms. So if you need to go through a facility to do an inspection, you have a preset form of questions.

So you can set that up within your template. So you can go through an area, select one of those questions, fill it out and do that quickly.

And really in terms of how it syncs, whether using Procore or PlanGrid, it kind of all syncs the same way as you add the annotation, it tracks a location. And let's say that you're able to take those notes.

- And so those notes, I think at the highest level, are about reducing site visits: Inspect. Measure. Annotate. I think we'll take a look at that in a second, reducing rework. Tracking progress. Preventing disputes at the highest level. That's what this level of detail is about.

- Yeah, it's true, however, you're really managing your project. It gives you that option to do it that way.

- Before we take it off screen share, I just want to pause for a moment.

So again, if you're in the AEC space and you're trying to make a decision, you've heard about Matterport, kind of the gorilla in this space, more investment perhaps but nevertheless, you've discovered CupixWorks and you're trying to compare CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport. What Gannon is showing us here is side-by-side, either side-by-side weekly, monthly, daily construction progress or side-by-side with BIM.

Ask your Matterport rep, "if you can do that." Short answer: No, you can't. There's no side-by-side comparison in Matterport of anything like this.

And if you find that little mini-map on the left side helpful for navigation, Matterport does not offer that solution for navigation. Now that said, there's something called the Highlight Reel in Matterport. Does CupixWorks have thumbnails within the tour to jump from place-to-place?

- There are concepts that are very popular; like construction tools like Navisworks that are called viewpoints. So we don't have viewpoints in that way, where you can curate a list of views.

Though, typically when people do that it is just when you share a model, you can share and create a new link. So whenever you create a new share link, it actually saves that view. So if you want to send a specific view to someone, you can do it that way or potentially through an RFI, through annotation.

- Okay, and in the collaboration, is there anything like Skype or excuse me, Zoom? Is there anything like Zoom meets CupixWorks built into the platform?

- No video conferencing aspect. The main aspect is for asynchronous communication. Going back and forth between comments and annotations.

You can see who's actively in a model to get multiple people in a model at a time. You can see that. But for the most part, the purpose is to share and communicate about an issue.

- Okay so, the safety person may annotate a model overnight. Asynchronously give direction about things on the job site that needs to be dealt with now.

- Yes. That's definitely a viable use case.

- And you mentioned a couple of things earlier in terms of unique captures -- or ways. And I think you just mentioned can you go above the ceiling? And this is really just a perennial problem or challenges. It's very hard to document these complex spaces and in typically healthcare facilities, you're only allowed to access things.

It has to be very secure and sealed, through something like this to prevent dust and contaminants from getting into these sensitive labs. And so in this capture, you can see the entire floor plan recapture the entire wing of a facility, but in this one specific room, they wanted to develop a ceiling. So we actually had that as a layer.

So we're able to capture the floor plan and then come up through here. And where's the hole at the bottom? Oh there it is, there.

So you can see, you're in this sealed barrier and with a long extension pole, essentially be able to stick the camera in different angles and see the space. So you can see there's not even much room around here. And there's a corner right here. Just to illustrate this a little bit more.

And this is what we say when we have it in 3D, is we actually have the exact orientation of each panorama photo of this above ceiling space. So each 360 photo is tied into the exact location.

- So is there a layer that I can say, "Show me anything above seven feet?"

- Typically how this is oriented is just the level of feature. So you can go to the below ceiling or the above ceiling level.

- Great, okay. That's amazing itself, certainly Matterport does not offer that.

- Yes. And documenting environments like this are near impossible.

- Yes. I would say you could probably do this in a Matterport tour using a 360 camera and set it on a 360 View, but good luck in terms of having it show up in the right place and having to deal with manually moving the location of that 360 to actually be in the right place.

- Correct. And that's what enables this type of capture, is that Cluster Shot, where you can take a series of individual shots and then it's a unique algorithm that we do, where we can fit them all together in the correct position.

- Okay. I did ask you about the Highlight Reel and you answered about how you could just share a specific link.

But I think that what I think of as a mini-map, the 2D schematic floor plan on the left, I would imagine everyone in AEC in the construction space is just used to reading floor plans.

And that's probably the most natural way in the AEC space to navigate the space and quickly go to a specific place, and I'm guessing on this little mini-map in the bottom left, gives me a choice of floors, is that I could say, I want to be on floor two, floor three ...

So, or maybe that's what I'm changing; the floor for the tour. The mini-map is automatically changing as well.

- Correct, so whenever you switch, you can see we're at the entire hospital floor now, once I switched onto the bottom floor versus when I switched to the above ceiling, you just see that reflected ceiling plan. So we actually can.

Projects have dozens and dozens of floor plans. So you can upload multiple floor plans, multiple construction documents, multiple 3D models to the site and cycle between them as needed.

- And does the 360 panorama, each one of those dots representing the 360 panorama? Does it show up on this floor plan automatically? Or does somebody actually have to put the 360s in the right place?

- Yes. And so as this magical love of the algorithm, is we have it set. It requires a floor plan to start with. So you start with the floor plan, but once you have that, we're able to --

- So where does that floor plan come from? That comes from the client who has a floor plan and just simply uploads it. And then is this the algorithm or is this the quality control person or a little bit of both?

- The very first time you start a project. So the very first time you have to start up the floor plan and when you import it, there's a couple of steps in a wizard, just to import it. But once you have that set up, then the algorithm automatically locates it within the floor plan.

So just while you're capturing, you say I'm on floor one, I'm on floor two. And then if they are able to fit its location within that map.

- So how does the camera or the Cupix iOS app know where it is in the floor plan? Are you telling it when you capture to say, "Hey. This is where I am on the floor plan.

- There's a couple of quick questions; a manual input that we request. For example, if you're doing a video walk through a floor plan, you say, "This is where I started," just to give it an initial constraint but then after that, it's completely automatic.

- That's awesome. Gannon, what I love about you showing this piece to me right now is -- "Well, of course, this is how it works."

But anyone who's trying to make a decision about Matterport and CupixWorks, should take those shots from this show and say, "Hey. Look Matterport sales rep. I'd like to see your mini-map of the 2D schematic floor plan showing where I am within the space." And the short answer is Matterport does not offer that.

- Yeah, and that's one of the aspects of -- from the beginning and we built this from the ground up for AEC users to be used in construction and the design process.

And ours is less of a highly polished marketing tool. Instead, it's a very robust and functional tool that integrates with a lot of BIM software; construction software.

- Let me go back for a moment to the hosting. We talked about that there's an offline storage version and there is a viewer. So it sounds like with CupixWorks, if you needed to have the model offline, do you still get the full viewing, robust experience?

- So the offline model is primarily a kind of archival and compliance capability. So, it's not as much for active projects. It has limited functionality.

So the offline viewer is able to save the floor plans and all the imagery. So you can still navigate, move around but none of the other functionality works. So it's primarily just reviewing once a project is complete but that's more of a niche use case.

- That's fine and then would I still use that offline archive to upload again to Cupix if I needed to restore that model for use?

- Yes. If you ever wanted to restore it and turn it into an active project again, you can reactivate a new license of Cupix and yes, upload it.

- Okay and then talk to me a little bit about backup. So it's in the Amazon Cloud. Is it, if I needed, if I needed to add to a model I can add to a model.

- Yes. It's all the redundancies and backups and capabilities I would expect from a cloud software. So there's multiple safety layers.

- So someone who's particularly interested in backups and security and privacy. Obviously as CupixWorks more on that topic. I think that the questions to ask with Matterport is to say, "please explain the backup process with Matterport."

Because I would tell you that there really is no practical backup process. Matterport will explain how you can save files on your iPad through a very convoluted process but one would think you would just upload it to the Matterport cloud.

And if you ever needed to download it, you could. And the short answer is, no Matterport doesn't offer that. And there is no practical Matterport backup or offline with the exception, as Matterport enables the downloading of a model to an iPad.

But once it's down on the iPad, you don't have any way to actually share it or do anything with it. And I think the other piece to probe with Matterport would be offline archive because there isn't, you can, and there isn't any practical way to store stuff.

And there isn't any practical way unless you literally save your iPads. And every time you shoot a project, once you fill up an iPad is to go buy another iPad.

Or I could explain to you, in fact, I'll just simply send people to the, We Get Around Network Forum: WGANForum.com and use the search box for "Warning Will Robinson" or "backup" or "restore" And that'll take you to a lot of discussions on this crazy topic of Matterport backup and restore: really just horrible.

And they know it, it's something that the We Get Around Network Forum Community has documented probably for seven and a half years of what's the backup and restore process should be. Happy to hear with CupixWorks, at least you can archive it and have it and then you have all these methods for backup in the cloud.

In terms of, on your website, www.Cupix.com www.Cupix.com there's a discussion about cameras and kits. Can you tell me a little bit about CupixWorks kits?

- Yeah, essentially we allow, as I mentioned before, a variety of capture methods. And it's all just to provide ultimate flexibility.

- Do I buy my own Ricoh Theta Z1 or Cupix to load me up with the gear that I need based on the project that I'm about to begin doing?

- If you have a camera and a selfie stick, essentially, you could use that and that is fine. Most of our customers don't have to think about that or go find things on the market. So we provide pre-bundled packages depending on their needs.

So we have a variety of cameras available, bundled along with things like external battery, external lighting for unique, low light environments. Different options are, there's the helmet mount, if you want to do the walkthrough quickly.

Sometimes there is an extended pole that can go up to 15 feet. If you're trying to get high up, maybe above ceiling, maybe above tall equipment, what else? Yes. Those are the main options. So essentially short selfie-stick. Long pole. Helmet. Drone mounts. Those are some of the options that we give people.

- Okay. So I think what I'm hearing is a little bit different than Matterport. Matterport will tell you what cameras are compatible, go buy it.

And if you're in the AEC space and you're looking at CupixWorks and you define what the project is, Cupix will put together the kit for you of the gear that's necessary to shoot it. So you don't have to think about "well what is it that I need?" It all comes in a kit.

- Yes. And we have some guides to be able to let you know which kit items you need. And really, we're built around flexibility: whether you want to put on a drone; whether you want to walk around with the video; your individual shots.

So we have people documenting shipping containers or submarines to just standard construction sites office spaces. So now running the gamut really.

- Which kind of, it diverts me a little bit, but it's such an interesting question. So on a submarine, I could imagine there's a lot of security issues. When the imagery gets uploaded to Cupix. Do you have any access to see what's being processed?

Do your customer support people? Can they see the tour? You mentioned that there are quality assurance people that are -- sound like they're looking at the tour to do something. But I imagine that some clients don't want anybody looking at anything. Period. End of story. Could you talk about that?

- Yes. So the default for our users is to let our customer success manager view each model and to help provide feedback and guidance and be that second set of eyes as a QA.

So you don't have to worry about that kind of thing, but we do have the option to opt-out of that and make it so it is a secure pipeline, so we can't see it. So you can opt-out of that QA process. So it's only the algorithms processing it and then you get the information directly.

- So it's possible to say, I don't want anybody to see this. And does that meet some level of security by people who think about that kind of stuff?

- Yes. So that typically kind of falls within this enterprise level of customer that needs intense security or privacy requirements. And so this is typically bundled with things like their own private cloud servers that they're using for data storage, controlling who has access to it.

So we essentially built this platform to be very enterprise friendly. So whatever your requirements are, we have an option for you.

- Okay, LiDAR support.

- Yeah, so primarily, Cupix is -- in terms of the type of processing that we do -- is we use 360 cameras to document a space. And like we mentioned, however you hold it; there's the helmet; or a drone walking around.

That's fine. But beyond that, our viewer is very robust and can hold all your project data; so we can have your floor plans, your BIM models, your 360 imagery data and also LiDAR data. So whether you're using terrestrial scanning or have I mobile mapping LiDAR, you can upload that onto our servers to be able to host it all together.

So similar to how you have compared to the BIM model, that you can also view point cloud data; take measurements from it. If you want to house all this data in one location.

- Okay, awesome. How about in terms of exporting data? At the top of the show I mentioned a 25-story, 500,000 SQ FT office building going through renovation. That's really at the beginning; there are no construction documents that exist for this old building.

We really do need an as-built. Okay. We go create this three-dimensional CupixWorks model. Other features for exporting in order to bring it into a BIM model to begin, whether it's Revit or SketchUp or other CAD programs to begin with the as-built?

- At this time we do not provide any deliverables like that, like a 3D point cloud or a 3D mesh from our model. So there are no outputs you can download directly from our captures. So we primarily use, if it's more like a sparse map. So we know the position/location of each image within it. And so we build a map that way and it's scaled and dimensioned correctly.

And that's what enables some measurements as well. But it's basically all behind the scenes. It's nothing that you can download or view directly.

- A bigger question: can I use Cupix for creating an as-built?

- Not for creating a floor plan. So if you need to create a floor plan, there are a variety of methods that you can use.

- Okay, but there's no export in a three-dimensional CAD file today with Cupix?

- No. You typically recommend the best practice is that you already have a floor plan that you can use, even if it's outdated. So something that's similar; that is ideal.

Occasionally you can come in with no floor plan and still create a capture. But the outputs that we create do not allow you to create a floor plan from it.

- Okay so score one for Matterport. We've been visiting for an hour and 15 minutes. This is actually the -- I think the first time that we've hit something that Matterport has something today better than CupixWorks, which is you can export a MatterPak.

You can order a Matterport MatterPak: The point cloud files and a variety of other files that can then be converted to CAD programs. This is actually the first time I think we've actually hit on something that Matterport is actually better though, if we're talking about a 500,000 SQ FT space trying to create an as-built with Matterport, good luck.

Because you probably have to break it into 50,000 to 100,000 SQ FT spaces and shoot multiple models. And maybe you can do the math faster than I can. If it takes two hours to shoot. It takes an hour to shoot 2,000 SQ FT with Matterport and it's 500,000 SQ FT building. How many hours?

- I wasn't, I didn't catch the numbers thrown out.

- Hey Siri, 500,000 divided by 2,000.

- [Siri] 500,000 divide.

- It's 250 hours. So it would take 250 hours, I should ask Siri how many days that is. It's too massive a project to even think about it. Okay, again, and we've covered a lot of ground. Before we sign off, is there anything that we didn't cover today about "Building Smart" with Cupix?

- Yes. There's one more kind of visually interesting thing I could show, related to that drone capture. Like we mentioned, we keep talking about flexibility, flexibility, flexibility, how you capture, types of spaces you capture.

So our algorithm is able to work in a variety of environments, even in the air mounted on a drone flying around. So this was a 250,000 SQ FT facility that did a nine minute drone flight on. And we have the same -- some of the same capabilities that related to having -- having it synced with your BIM. So if you're trying to understand what is documented on the roof lines, the equipment is installed in the correct location. You can look at that.

So it's just one more option that we kind of give you. CupixWorks handles the whole spectrum of needs your project might have.

So I just wanted to bring that up. And I think earlier you did mention too, like warehouses and what type of patterns you walk in a warehouse.

So, here you can see, this is the floor plans. So you can just see the whole lawnmower pattern of just zigzag walking around the space and you can see how it's going to be built out in the future. So here, it's actually in the wall.

- Yeah, this is an interesting space because if you had to do this space with Matterport -- again, if you're in the AEC space -- you're trying to make a decision between Matterport and CupixWorks. Ask your Matterport rep specifically, "how that empty warehouse space gets shot?" And asking them for some type of guarantee regarding success.

Because I bought my Matterport camera in July of 2014. And I can tell you, and I'm the Founder of a Community of a ton of Matterport Service Providers. I think our knowledge base I'm looking at is 84,000 posts among 14,000 topics.

And a lot of the discussion is about large spaces. A lot of the discussion is about large open spaces. And this is exactly the kind of space that is super-challenging for Matterport to capture because Matterport infrared is looking, is trying to map the space and the whole space looks the same.

If you're far away from those posts, then you have a shiny floor and the ceilings too far for Matterport camera to know where it is.

This is a really super-difficult space to do with a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera. Yes. You could use a Ricoh Theta Z1 and there'll be a crazy workflow around how to use that.

But the short answer is, if you have spaces, open spaces like this, super-hard, probably almost impossible really to do with Matterport. I guess you could do it using some AprilTags -- things that look like QR codes -- but again, super-super-super hard.

And it's super-large, which then creates this challenge for processing. I'm sorry, Gannon, you were showing us that space but I just had to add that commentary to it.

- Yes. So that's the benefit of a tripod sensor. With a depth-sensor -- and the right environment -- you have better quality, like measurement capabilities, but it's also relying on that depth-sensor. So in a lot of environments, it can fail. Whereas Cupix is a lot more flexible in a variety of environment types, where they're flying in the air in a large space.

And of course ...warehouses: we've actually been doing them a lot. So they work really well. Probably one of the challenging environments is always low light. If the lighting is bad, just the sensor doesn't work very well, just use the camera. Also, lots of the repeating patterns, is a chronic kind of challenge in computer vision applications. But we have ways to address that.

- Before we sign off. Is there anything else about CupixWorks 2.0 versus Matterport for Construction Professionals you feel we didn't cover today?

- Just another aspect is the pricing component. The tune we've been hitting on all day is flexibility and customization; depending on your project needs.

The same goes with our pricing model. It's not a one size fits all. So depending on the size of your project, the number of captures you're going to be doing, pricing can scale to that level. So it really makes it flexible for users depending on the type of projects they're working on.

- Awesome! Gannon, thanks for being my guest on the show today.

- Yeah, I really appreciate talking. --

- We've been visiting with Gannon Wilder. Gannon is Product Manager at Cupix, he's based in Denver, though Cupix is actually headquartered in San Jose, California.

I'm Dan Smigrod, Founder of the We Get Around Network Forum and you've been watching WGAN-TV Live at 5.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: CupixWorks SiteView Overview | Video courtesy of Cupix YouTube Channel | 28 July 2021

From the Cupix YouTube Channel

Overview of major features in CupixWorks SiteView

- Time Compare
- 3D Mode
- BIM Compare
- Transport BIM Objects
- Make Measurements
- Outdoor Captures
- Technical Rooms

Source: Cupix YouTube Channel
Post 3 IP   flag post
kigilido private msg quote post Address this user
What is Cupix response to custom integration. And API or SDK ?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Cupix. Build Smart. | Video courtesy of Cupix YouTube Channel | 19 August 2021
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: CupixWorks Feature: Timeline Compare | Video courtesy of Cupix YouTube Channel | 25 October 2021
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Feature: Point Cloud Processing | Video courtesy of Cupix YouTube Channel | 29 November 2021
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
WGAN Forum (13 April 2022) Cupix Announces Launch of CupixWorks X 3D Digital Twin Platform
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Video Capture Mode - Basic Capture Course | Video courtesy of Cupix YouTube Channel | 2 August 2022
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?