Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,023 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 45 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3DF ZEPHYRAerialQuestion of the DayScanningSkydioVideo

(See Video) Question of the Day: Your Thoughts About Skydio 3D Scan?15020

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Introducing Skydio 3D Scan™ | Video courtesy of Skydio YouTube Channel | 2 June 2021

Video: Introducing Skydio X2™ | Video courtesy of Skydio YouTube Channel | 2 June 2021

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Wednesday, 2 June 2021:

Your Thoughts About Skydio 3D Scan?

Best,

Dan

Save $50 with this WGAN affiliate link for Drone Pilot Ground School and WGAN Coupon Code: WGAN50
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Excited!

Skydio 3D scan would be my 1st go-to solution, if drone flight was not so heavily restricted in urban areas.

I would like to see indoor 3D scan examples, if available.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
Excited!

Skydio 3D scan Would be my 1st go-to solution, but unfortunately drone flight is heavily restricted in urban areas.

I would like to see indoor 3D scan examples, if available.

@MeshImages

I (just) emailed Skydio Media Relations to ask for video - and CAD examples - of indoor 3D scanning of commercial/residential real estate.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Skydio 3D Scan™ Keynote - The New Era of Autonomous Inspection | Video courtesy of Skydio YouTube Channel | Wednesday, 2 June 2021

From the Skydio YouTube Channel

Skydio 3D Scan™ is first-of-its-kind adaptive scanning software built on top of Skydio Autonomy, the autonomous flight engine behind every Skydio drone. 3D Scan builds a real-time model of the scene, allowing the drone to automate the data capture process needed to generate 3D models with comprehensive coverage and ultra-high resolution.

Read more here:

Introducing Skydio 3D Scan™: The Era of Autonomous Drone Inspection is Here

Interested in purchasing Skydio 3D Scan for your drone program? Contact us here: https://pages.skydio.com/Contact.html

0:00 Introduction
2:09 Skydio's Mission
2:40 Why We Need 3D Scan
4:42 How 3D Scan Solves The Problem
6:55 3D Scan Demo
12:19 Technology Deep Dive
15:45 3D Scan Results
17:25 Customer Spotlight
21:54 Conclusion

About Skydio

Skydio is the leading U.S. drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight technology.

Skydio leverages breakthrough AI technology to create the world’s most intelligent flying machines for consumers, enterprises, defense and civilian agencies. Founded in 2014, Skydio built a world class R&D team with leading experts in AI, robotics, cameras, and electric vehicles from top companies, research labs, and universities.

Headquartered in Redwood City, CA, Skydio designs, assembles, and supports its products in the U.S. to offer higher standards of supply chain and manufacturing security.

Skydio is trusted by leading enterprises across a wide range of industry sectors and is backed by top investors and strategic partners including Andreeson Horowitz, IVP, Playground, Next47, Levitate Capital, NTT DOCOMO, NVIDIA.

Source: From the Skydio YouTube Channel

---

@MeshImages

This video (above) includes indoor commercial space.

This is AMAZING. Granted. This is a LARGE indoor space: not a residence. Plus, they are using Skydio 3D Scan to scan a BIG OBJECT rather than the space itself. BUT, I could imagine that it works the same way for scanning smaller indoor spaces (like a house or condo for sale, lease or rent).

Dan

Skydio Launch Partners: Screen Grab from Skydio video (above)
Post 4 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing!

Now we need a player, that integrates these 3d exterior models into our presentations.

So sad, that GeoCV is not an option anymore.

I hope, that 3DVista will be coming up with something like depthmaps or a handy obj/pointcloud player module.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
The desire to push the limits continue to morph our ever increasing opportunities as creators into an expanding universe. Neat stuff.
Post 6 IP   flag post
remaxvictory private msg quote post Address this user
Is anyone using sketchfab for hosting? Would love to add the skydio workflow to create something like this and hosting seems reasonable, but not sure what all entailed with creating this type of model: https://skfb.ly/6ZSwv
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Interview with Skydio Executives about Skydio 3D Scan(TM) | Video courtesy of Commercial UAV Expo | 9 June 2021

From the Commercial UAV Expo YouTube Channel

Commercial UAV News connected with Alden Jones, VP of Customer Success, and Hayk Martiros, VP of Autonomy at Skydio to talk about their future plans and everything 3D Scan from how it works to how it provides efficiencies across the drone data capture workflow.

Source: Commercial UAV Expo YouTube Channel
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by remaxvictory
Is anyone using sketchfab for hosting? Would love to add the skydio workflow to create something like this and hosting seems reasonable, but not sure what all entailed with creating this type of model: https://skfb.ly/6ZSwv

I would wait till somebody shows an example and describe an experience of creating a 3D model for a property. It is one thing to capture a back of a rocket in a huge warehouse and it is totally another thing to fly automatically in a property with furniture, hung from celling objects, beams and complex designs. A drone for sure is the best to climb steps but do not expect it to be easy. When I look at my house it is too much work to deploy something like skydio even one a ground floor due to its design.

Plus I have been playing with photogrammetry for more than a year and it does not seem anybody has created a workable solution for images captured for photogrammetry inside. Plus even with my 50mp Canon I cannot get a high quality result that any client will accept. It seems to be only good & sometimes even perfect for objects you can go around. In interior capturing cases it is like looking on Matterport render of any 3D tour. No clear material representation, all blurred & smudged because of it. If Matterport had not had a camera for 360 views nobody would have even cared to look at them as property walk throughs.

However I believe we have seen at least one interior example and it has been shown here on WGAN. The result is quite good. I do not remember details but it has been on some big well know USA newspaper website(NY Times may be) about some book writer room. May be Dan remembers it and can find it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
BTW, try 3DF ZEPHYR.

It is is the photogrammetry software and they allow you to do 50 photos projects for free. They even claim it can work with 360 photos and 360 videos. You just need to run them trough their built in tool for 360 before processing them into a 3D Model. It fails for me for an interior though either it is 360 video/photo or flat and that why I am saying there seem to be no solution so far. At east with flat photos and videos you will gee interior created as a 3D model but 360 video/photos for some reasons creates a model of a spot where it has been captured.

There are totally free Meshroom that has no limits but it seems to be less capable than 3DF ZEPHYR

I think if you want a really great quality and resolution 3D model of a property even with 50MP camera you need to capture about 40-50cm from walls and objects and if it is less resolution sensor I am not sure you can make anything pleasing in terms of visual.

So imagine how much work involved doing just walls from 50cm with about 70% overlap with a 50mp sensor.
I will try to do a test today and see if I can publish it online so people can see problems with photogrammetry for interiors.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Just tried but this time I have captured really close in my laundry but hit a limit of 50 photos only capturing the corner at the top. To capture it at full resolution it would be close to 1000 photos.

Processing was really slow for 50mp jpegs and took about 1 hour. This time I selected high res texture and in fact I got a model where I can almost read 5mm text on a box. I have just tried to upload it to sketchfab on a free account and I could not. The limit for free account is 50mp and my cloud point file(mtl format) is almost 1 GB.

Since I cannot upload it anywhere for free here is a screenshot

I have a fast machine with 32GB of ram and old but good GPU. At some points I could not use my desktop because computing was taking a lot of memory and processing power

If skydio system can create this resolution and compute such a complicated task on a drone processor or on its controller that is really impressive. Just remember it is only 45 images at 50 mp showing well much less than 1% of all surfaces that would be require to capture my property. If at rough estimation it is less than 0.5m3 it is 1/800 of all space.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
However I believe we have seen at least one interior example and it has been shown here on WGAN. The result is quite good. I do not remember details but it has been on some big well know USA newspaper website(NY Times may be) about some book writer room. May be Dan remembers it and can find it.

Was it a GeoCV tour that mashed up 3D aerial with 3D interior?

For example, in from this WGAN Forum discussion:

Aerial 3D Models with Drone Deploy for GeoCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360

I have been working with Landon Homes, a local builder in North Texas, for almost a decade in providing them with photography and 3D Tours.

They are extremely excited to see how their model homes look with an aerial 3D Model as a part of their 3D Tour. I am too! I've scanned this home with the GeoCV System, which I received from the WGAN Loaner Program, and have captured the aerial 3D Model using Drone Deploy.

Using Drone Deploy and a DJI Mavic Pro 2, I captured the model at 120ft. I then captured additional imagery with the camera facing downward descending from 120ft to about 60ft. I finished by capturing imagery around the sides from a manual flight with the camera angled downward so as to avoid the sky for better photogrammetry results.

By using Drone Deploy, I created a strong image set that is currently being reviewed by GeoCV. In addition, Drone Deploy's 15-day trial will allow you to render your own 3D Model and export an OBJ file.

One challenge that I did face was accurately trimming the area that I wanted to generate my 3D model from. As this is a new development, Google's satellite imagery did not show the house itself and I needed to carefully use imperfections in the ground as well as vehicles that happened to be parked there at the time of Google's last imagery refresh. It took 4 uploads, but I think I nailed it!

See the Drone Deploy Project

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Nearly two weeks ago I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
I (just) emailed Skydio Media Relations to ask for video - and CAD examples - of indoor 3D scanning of commercial/residential real estate.

I have not heard back from Skydio Media Relations yet.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Was it a GeoCV tour that mashed up 3D aerial with 3D interior?

No, it is this one. I have found it by searching "nytimes" on the forum.

https://rd.nytimes.com/projects/reconstructing-journalistic-scenes-in-3d

The quality we will probably need for what we do is there but it is very slow on a pc with just 8GB of memory and an old GPU. I bet it is quite big in size and this is just one room. So for a whole property it can be very huge.
Post 14 IP   flag post
remaxvictory private msg quote post Address this user
I emailed Skydio 4 times asking for an example of an interior scan or a 24 hour trial and finally got this response:

We still do not have a trial period for 3D Scan however I'm happy to connect you with a rep. who can walk you through the purchasing process! Check out our Sketchfab page here! The examples aren't houses per say but do give you an idea of 3D Scan's ability. Let me know your thoughts and I'd be happy to help!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Dear Skydio rep.

It is Per se.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Faster, Better, Safer. Supercharging Construction with Skydio 3D Scan | Video courtesy of AUVSI YouTube Channel | 24 June 2021
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN-TV
Training U
Perth AUS
schaferu private msg quote post Address this user
Hehe, if one buys into Moore's law of computing, imo we can be assured that in the not too distant future, interior autonomous capture compatible with MP cloud will become a reality, whether we like it our not.

And again, an industry game changer which will require rethinking of sales models, even for MP.

Once the outcome of such a capture provides reliable quality every single time, we have reached mainstream.

2 years max I feel.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101271 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?