Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport Capture Services ProgramMatterport Service ProvidersMSPs

Matterport Capture Service Program Creates Opportunity for MSPs14899

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport: Capture Services: Placing Your Order | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 13 May 2021

Video: Ordering Matterport Capture Services for Enterprise | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 12 May 2021

Video: Matterport ShopTalk #19 Webinar: Matterport Capture Services Program | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 7 April 2021

Matterport Capture Service Program Creates Opportunity for Matterport Service Providers

Hi All,

Whether you love - or hate - that Matterport Capture Service Program (MCSP) has expanded from offering Matterport as a Service (MaaS) for Enterprise to MaaS to anyone (presently in a limited number of markets, as of Monday, 17 May 2021), MCSP creates a new opportunity for Matterport Service Providers.

And, I am NOT talking about becoming a Matterport “Technician” … rather how you may be able to leverage MCSP with your trusted clients that have a need for Matterport digital twins in multiple markets by providing the following agency services:

1. Booking Matterport Service Providers via MCSP (and WGAN Find a Matterport Pro Map)
2. Value Add
3. Delivering
4. Hosting, Support and Maintenance

Value Add Might Include

1. Simply handling all the logistics in booking, delivering, hosting, supporting and maintaining
2. Enhancing Matterport digital twins using 3rd Party Solutions for Matterport tours such as floor plans, virtual staging and single property websites
3. Enhancing Matterport digital twins within the tour (MatterTags, turn off scans, trim)
4. Photos, video, drone, laser measurements (to help with Matterport MatterPak accuracy)

Pricing Strategies

1. Cost Plus – since you will be laying out cash to buy tours (and other services), consider charging your clients actual cost plus 20 percent.
2. Project Management Fee – In addition to cost plus 20 percent, consider adding a Project Management Fee based on the Scope of Work.
3. Hosting, Support and Maintenance – Even if you transfer spaces to a client’s Matterport Cloud account, it’s likely that you will still need to support and maintain the Matterport models (update MatterTags; update info panel).
4. Retainer – if your client has an ongoing need, you might consider a monthly retainer that may get revised up/down based on an ongoing assessment of the ebb/flow of work.
5. Flat Fee per Square Foot – It may be easier for a client to be invoiced a flat fee per square foot. If the fee is high enough, you can absorb the cost per square foot that you will be charged (based on market, size and kind (e.g. commercial, residential) of spaces and make it easier for the client to budget/scale.
6. Flat Fee per Tour – It may be easier for a client to be invoiced a flat fee per tour. If the fee is high enough, you can absorb the cost per square foot that you will be charged (based on market, size and kind (e.g. commercial, residential) of spaces and make it easier for the client to budget/scale.
7. Combo Pricing – such as Cost Plus and Per Matterport tour fee

Large companies are often willing to outsource to an expert rather than do the work in-house. So, just because Matterport is moving in the direction of enabling DIY MaaS via any Matterport Cloud account, doesn’t mean that every potential buyer of Matterport tours – as scale – wants to do this internally.

If you have a trusted relationship with a client – that has locations around America (or even around the world) – consider how you might add value to your client managing Matterport at scale and where you add value (versus the client doing the booking, adding value, hosting, support and maintenance themselves).

If you need encouragement that some of your clients may need your help with scaling, consider this post in this related WGAN Forum discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Meidansha
I still think my biggest client will not use this [Matterport Capture Services Program] as they want us to be directly answerable when there is an issue and keeping it consistent with specific requirements that they would want to refer and confer about directly with the scanner about.

Though they would be one of the clients spoken of in the interview (ie. a client that wants 50, 100, 200 scans in 50 cities).

My biggest issue is that by setting prices matterport would make it impossible to give the level of quality that my clients currently request at that rate. Also here in Japan no big company contracts directly for photographic services. They all contract out to big advertising agencies. The agencies in turn don’t like taking risks with new ideas so they let us handle the account side of things.

Specifically when I asked one to be a collaborator they said “No, that’s your job. We won’t take responsibility”. It’s a system that works well and ensures that we work hard and are paid a good rate.

And another thing I don’t like the way they refer to us as technicians. We are not their employees and I employee staff to do the business I do. It’s an insult. We are Matterport’s customers.

What are your thoughts? Does the Matterport Capture Services Program create an opportunity for you?

Best,

Dan

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Matterport Capture Services Program
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Dan,

I considered what you posted above after I wrote yesterday.

The customer I had in mind is really not likely to accept guys coming in on bicycles Uber Eats style onto their premises (keep in mind these guys will have bought a $3000 camera and had to take a $500 dollar insurance contract so they're going to be looking pretty desperate/homeless when they rock up at my client's door for calls that are likely to be few and far between and only pay $1000 dollars for 10,000sqft).

But you are right in that it does provide an opportunity as long as we can be sure that the random "technician" will do good enough a job without irritating the client's staff on the ground.

I think my concern is basically that what we do (whether on the ground or post scan) is not easily done on scale without a level of coordination that cannot be achieved by just calling in an Uber. For that reason I'm pretty sure this will all end in Matterport abandoning another attempt at manipulating the execution side of the business.

However it does put an enormous negative pressure on prices of execution.

You are 110% right when you say we have to value add. That I think is the only way we will be able to make enough to stay in business. I spoke with our local Matterport rep back in early March in Japan after a weird out of context anecdote in his office person's email (when I asked for a Japanese language version of the cloud contract) just before this came up. I was surprised that I couldn't change my MSP credentials and had question's. He warned me to "be ready for a time when you cannot make money scanning... (and) prepare by offering clients something extra".

Because of the effect on prices I hope that competition from other platforms will encourage Matterport to abandon this method. Imagine if Matterport had no one to execute so despite higher prices client's went for one of the other more (soon to be relatively) expensive major platforms because they weren't sure whether Matterport would provide?

I must note that I have noticed in Japan that lowering the price of what we do has next to no effect on a client's opinion. They are most concerned about whether a scan will help them do what they do. Most of our client's only make the move if they feel it will help their business (regardless of price).
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think my concern is basically that what we do (whether on the ground or post scan) is not easily done on scale without a level of coordination that cannot be achieved by just calling in an Uber. For that reason I'm pretty sure this will all end in Matterport abandoning another attempt at manipulating the execution side of the business.

Matterport Capture Services Program may not be for everyone, but Matterport is getting traction and is unlikely to kill the program.

Transcript: Matterport/Gores Holdings VI Biz Combo Announcement Call

We provide a variety of services, including in-app purchases and Capture Services. Capture Services is an offering by which enterprise customers hire us to subcontract the capture of their spaces in high volume, enabling them to get onto our platform more quickly and at scale.

We can do this around the world because we have built a large network of capture services partners. Services revenue is expected to be $7.4 million for 2020, up an exceptional 159% from 2019.

Yes, I agree that:

Quote:
However it does put an enormous negative pressure on prices of execution.

Matterport should not be controlling the price (ceiling) of Matterport digital twins, as I wrote four (4) years ago here:

Should Matterport be the Uber of 3D Spaces?

If Matterport is in the Uber of 3D Spaces business, it immediately kills us - Matterport Pros - by the manufacturer dictation our pricing. And, Matterport reduces - or eliminates - the likelihood of 3rd party agencies getting into the Uber of 3D Spaces business because Matterport can always under-cut them.

That's because Matterport controls the price of the limo (camera), gas (hosting and processing) and Extra Seats Upgrade to SUV (2D Floor plans, Google Street View, CoreVR).

Let us – Matterport Pros and real estate agents/brokers that offer Matterport as ancillary revenue - command a premium for our services - AND, decide if we want to take on Matterport gigs in our downtime from a 3rd part agency acting as Uber in our space.

Matterport should be our cheerleader for the highest prices we can command (here's why) AND foster 3rd party agencies for:

1. one order many markets (as I wrote on 26 October 2014)
2. Uber of 3D Spaces

That was very nice (and unexpected) note from your Matterport rep:

Quote:
He warned me to "be ready for a time when you cannot make money scanning... (and) prepare by offering clients something extra".

In the short term, Matterport will likely continue to do well with Matterport Capture Services Program. That said, I agree with you regarding:

Quote:
Imagine if Matterport had no one to execute so despite higher prices client's went for one of the other more (soon to be relatively) expensive major platforms because they weren't sure whether Matterport would provide?

I could imagine that new, potential Matterport Service Providers will think twice about adding Matterport because:

1. Matterport essentially sets maximum pricing for an MSP
2. Matterport competes with MSPs that don't join the Matterport Capture Services Program
3. Matterport likely pays Matterport Service Providers very little

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
101422 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?