Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LargeMatterport BlogScanningSchools

Matterport Digital Twin of 215,000 SQ FT School; 1,464 Scans Over 4 Days14542

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport Digital Twin of School Center Ljubljana, Slovenija | Matterport Digital Twin by Studio DTS, Slovenija

Matterport Blog (29 March 2021) School Center Ljubljana and Studio DTS bring one of the oldest Slovenian education institutions into the modern age - We caught up with Andraz Pjras, CEO of Studio DTS, to learn more about how his team captured all 215,000 square feet of School Center Ljubljana.
Post 1 IP   flag post
VirtusRealis private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing !
Post 2 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised that they pulled this off without April Tags. It is very same same.

And it was their very first scan.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Well darn. I created a scan earlier this year that was 1,352 scan points. I can't share it yet because the client has not made it public but I had thought that I'd created the largest space!

As a note, you cannot create a space this big unless you use one of the latest iPads with six gigs of RAM. Capture will start to crash out on you and become unusable otherwise.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Actually, I'm counting 1,135 scans.

https://mpembed.com/show/?m=UyC6zxGpL4E&premium=1

Who said this was 1464?
Post 5 IP   flag post
andrazprajs private msg quote post Address this user
Hi to all. Andraz Prajs here Sorry for my late reply Dan and thanks for share. Metroplex360 you are correct of course and you win 1464 was (I guess mistakenly) taken out of the context by Matterport PR team (my original replies to Matterport questions below). We made 1464 scans in 4 days on location but divided in 3 digital twins as doll house consisting of 3 buildings would not be functional. Main building: 1149, Workshop A: 69 (https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=b1BLkYzkwPc), Workshop B: 246 (https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=cXg28g2u7kg).

This was sincerely our very first job. iPad Pro 12.9" 4th Gen (yes Metroplex360 - 6 gigs). Crashed twice (but after reset - smoothly). No April tags. Backups with iExplore every evening. We actually moved model from one iPad (4 crashes) to antoher after first day of scanning

We thought this is quite normal at first (> 1.000 scans) but started to worry a bit after 2nd day scanning when we came upon some content on internet describing possible problems with large models (> 200 scans. We were just consistent, precise, focused and totally not afraid of failure. It worked.

Therefore (if anybody is interested) I am attaching non-edited interview:

Q: What inspired the 3D capture of the Media Center at School Center Ljubljana?
We were asked to provide solution for open days during complete lock-down in the country. School Center Ljubljana is one of the biggest and oldest educational institutions in the country, located in country’s capital city Ljubljana. Director of school wanted something new and different.

Q: How have school faculty, parents and children been able to use the 3D models of the school?
Matterport model (actually 3 models, school + workshops) is available on their websites (1+5). Each of 5 schools is presented in highligh reel which functions as shortcut to specific school. Contents like videos of students and headmasters, pictures and hyperlinks were Mattertagged. Workshops are deeplinked to largest model.

Q: What are the “must-sees” you want visitors to explore and why?
School Center is one of the biggest buildings in the city offering education since 1911. 215.000 square feet of floor space was challenging enough, especially as it was our first Matterport project. Dollhouse came out great. Purpose was to offer visitors a glance to grandness of space, halls, classrooms and workshops. Adding videos to specific machinery in workshops is work in progress. Students can therefore see machines they will use during their education in action.

Q: What’s the one thing you want visitors to take away after exploring the school?
“I want to study here and nowhere else!”

Q: Did you run into any difficulties scanning the area?
We were thrown in the deep end. School Center Ljubljana was our client for years (providing website and design services for them) and therefore their expectations were high. On the other hand this was our very first Matterport project with no prior 3D scanning experience at all.
Halls are extremely long, two separate large stairways span over 10 floors. We scanned the building for 4 consecutive days, Monday to Thursday 8AM-4PM, team of 2; 1.464 scans were made. We scanned every day till 4PM, headed back to studio, made backup and logged into support.matterport.com and watched tutorials till 10PM. Groundhog day for entire week I guess. After first scanning day on Monday we noticed that iPad Pro we used crashed 4 times and knowing we are on 25% of project we stopped by Apple Store and bought brand new iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB with pen. In studio we moved existing model to new iPad. Continuing scanning on existing model Tuesday morning worked out perfectly. On Thursday morning we even received Matterport Case 6600 purchased from MSP-Shop and ended the project the way we should start it anyway - as pros We had more than 1.400 scans and prior to uploading the model we read on Matterport Forum that anything above 200 scans is considered large space. What? Where does that put our model? We were extremely worried how this will come out.

Q: Anything else you would like to add?
We ordered Pro2 3D camera on Dec 28th 2020, received camera on Jan 11th 2021 (New Year holidays / Covid period / Europe) and started scanning on Jan 18th 2021. No prior experience. Three scanned models: 1st model - 1.150 scans, 2nd model - 250 scans, 3rd model - 70 scans. We tapped upload on Thursday Jan 21st 5PM and crossed our fingers. We did not sleep well and expected to be processed over the weekend Next day on Friday Jan 22nd we received an email from Matterport that our model is live. Woohooo! In less than 24 hours. Model came out perfectly. Halls were straight as an arrow (without use of April Tags), both stairways were connected perfectly! Thank you Matterport - Rolls Royce of 3D photography.

It is March now and we are booked till May. 3 retail shops, 1 BMW Saloon, 2 Kindergartens...

We need to add this service to our website asap I guess
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Thank you for your reply :-) I wasn't trying to gun at you guys and honestly if your tour had been bigger than mine I would have just been jealous :-)

It sounds like you guys had very similar problems to what I experienced in the field. The capture app truly becomes volatile after you pass a thousand scans!

The showroom floor itself was over 100,000 ft², and there was really only one logical place that one could divide the model into two and so for the one that I did, there were actually two models created. I asked matterport if they'd be willing to stitch the two together, but they said that the model exceeds the size that they are willing to work with as part of their policy. There was a former matterport employee involved with the commissioning of this tour which I truly thought might have some weight, however unfortunately nope.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Just so impressed that you guys did this with no previous experience. And "howdy" to @metroplex360, a true pro and someone we admire greatly.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101646 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?