Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBusiness PlanBuyNewbiesPro2Pro3Ricoh Theta Z1

Should I buy Matterport Pro 2 camera?13623

TakingArt private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone

Im just starting out with real estate photography/tours and already own a Canon 5d Mk iii with lenses, but am looking at getting into 3d tours, and a local agent asked if I could do matterport for them, so I started looking into it properly.

Things Ive seen that make me unsure to buy or not....

1) Only about 7% of business in this sector are 3d tours?
2) Matterport 3 will be coming out soon in 2021
3) I dont need one yet, and could maybe do with a cheaper option Insta 360x2 or Ricoh Theta Z1 etc. (would this do for real estate agents?)
4) Facebook group posts stating Matterport customer service and reliability is a question mark.

Many thanks

Jason
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
The Z1 is a good device to have for a variety of reasons, so you won’t go wrong having one. It would also enable you to begin with Matterport although I’d suggest it is limited to fairly simple indoor spaces for dependability. But starting out, it may be just fine. Z1 is also a great tool if you delve into 360° tours using systems like 3DVista, EyeSpy and others.

My recommendation is: if you can, wait for the Pro 3 which will have Lidar instead of infrared as depth sensor. Cost will be higher than a Pro 2, but (my guess is that) it will be worth it. Downside is we’ll never know exactly when it will show up.

As for the concerns, Matterport customer support is slow, however their hardware has been quite dependable in my experience, so support isn’t needed often.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@TakingArt

Welcome to the WGAN Forum and thanks for your post.

@Home3D has great insight.

I would add:

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @TakingArt
a local agent asked if I could do matterport for them, so I started looking into it properly.

Is your client asking for Matterport brand tours or just using Matterport to describe the category? (Kleenex versus facial tissue. Most people that ask for Kleenex are likely happy with any tissue.)

If your options are still open, this WGAN Forum discussion might be helpful:

Free WGAN Cheat Sheet: Which Virtual Tour Platform is Best (for Me)?

Is it possible to get a pre-payment for X tours from your client that has expressed interest? That might give you confidence that you have your first tour client rather than (just) an expression of interest.

If you do get a Ricoh Theta Z1, you likely can use it with an platform that you might consider. So, it's a great way to keep your options open.

Since you are just starting out in real estate photography/virtual tours, I highly recommend:

Save 70 Percent on Real Estate Photographer Pro Course by Eli Jones

The course includes a 30 day money back guarantee from the course creator, Eli Jones. It's very likely this course will help you succeed faster.

The course creator's nearly 20 person real estate photography agency, Norman & Young, switch to Ricoh Theta Z1 for Matterport from previously using the Matterport Pro series camera because the workflow for capture is much faster and most client either can't tell or it is good enough at the price point that they are willing to pay.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
If you could pick up a used Pro2 3D, I'd consider that a prudent investment. Add virtual tours to your repertoire. Your 1) con shows you the real scale of the opportunity however, with 93% of listings needing virtual tours.
Post 4 IP   flag post
sandhun private msg quote post Address this user
The Ricoh and Insta would be fine but if your estate agent also wants you to create floor plans I believe you will need the Pro2 camera.

Personally I am questioning whether I should have spent 3k on the Pro2. I've only had the camera for less than 3 months so early days, but I am finding it extremely difficult to get any paid work. I've had lots of interest but very little commitment. Most estate agents don't want to pay for it, plus we're currently in a good housing market so properties are selling easily, with or without immersive tours.
Post 5 IP   flag post
TakingArt private msg quote post Address this user
@sandhun I might just go with the Ricoh for now, and if i need to do plans I can do them manually. Do you do EPC's too? That should help with getting into the agents?

One other thing, maybe look at recouping some funds - ive seen Pro2 cameras in London renting for £50-£75 a day, and its fully insured if you use something like Fatllama.com
Id hire it too if you are anywhere near Sheffield!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhun
The Ricoh and Insta would be fine but if your estate agent also wants you to create floor plans I believe you will need the Pro2 camera.

WGAN 3rd Party Service Providers - such as MP2FP @MP2FP) – can provide floor plans from Matterport tours: regardless of which camera was used to create the Matterport tour.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101636 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?