Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,031 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture 2.xScanning

Current Scan Limit1342

AdamplatinumHD private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys just a quickie

What is the current scan limit? Is it still 200?

I've read numerous times from members like the awesome @DanSmigrod that you can go over the limit but then have to delete scans to be under/on the 200 mark.

Recently saw a scan of a 4 level mansion that looks like it has well over 200, how is this possible?

(FYI I searched for this and saw threads had all been archived and well over 12 months old so figured I would ask about current updates and the camera's tech possibilities)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Zephyr Cove, NV
Maria private msg quote post Address this user
I believe, from talking with Matterport, a lot has to do with the iPad's processing in the app, so iPad Air 2 would do better at higher scan limits than an iPad Air 1 for instance. Also I suspect that since each scan is capturing substantial 3D data and 2d images, and the fact the app also has to combine it with previous scans, I think there would be a certain exponential increase in memory requirements and processing power for the app as well the server after uploading with each additional scan.

I have heard of models with over 300 scans but I think I topped out at around 260 scans with my iPad Air 1 before the app started to crash after each scan. Just before this at around the 240 scan mark, the app would crash during the "aligning" process at almost every other scan, making the process very slow and frustrating. Matterport's tech support also stated that the server could fail to process very large models and he said it may take several attempts to upload and reprocess the model to get it to work.

I will try the iPad pro and see if that will make a difference next time I shoot a large model.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Woah, very interesting. Thanks @Maria
Post 3 IP   flag post
MikeFrey private msg quote post Address this user
I just did a model with iPad Pro. 52,000 square feet, 508 scans, culled them down to about 280 and they processed fine. Actually, the model had over 300 scans in it before I got to 508 on the final day and it processed fine. The iPad Pro has 95 Gb available memory.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@AdamplatinumHD @MikeFrey

Keep in mind that if you get into a pickle, Matterport may only support you if:

1. The model is 200 or less scans when processing
2. The model is less than 10,000 sf

While there is no limit to the number of scans during scanning on your iPad, the funnel is: after 200 scans the model is at risk of:

1. not processing
2. crashing in WebGL

Best Practices

1. Manage clients' expectations. May have to divide space by 10,000 sf (We've done nearly 20,000 for a Spa.)
2. For Virtual Reality (VR), you should be able to do super-huge space and still get the count down.
3. Save all models. I could imagine a 508 scans that would work fine three years from now.

Keep pushin' the limits of the tech,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks @DanSmigod.

Great to know. Thanks for the info.
Post 6 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@MikeFrey can you share it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Yeah @MikeFrey v. interested to see final result.
Post 8 IP   flag post
MikeFrey private msg quote post Address this user
This is my first attempt at sharing one of these on this forum. Please bear with me if I get it wrong...

Post 9 IP   flag post
101421 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?