Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AsteroomRicoh Theta Z1

optimum height for Ricoh Z1 with Asteroom13276

denlee private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, I'm going to shoot my first Asteroom tour with my Ricoh Z1 in the next day or so. In one of the Asteroom YouTube videos they suggest a height from the floor to the camera lens of 4'6" to 5'0". The ceiling height of the home is 11'0". Any suggestions as to the optimum camera height would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
That seems pretty low.

I shoot for a company that has done about 10,000 shoots with the Ricoh's and they recommend 55" to the base of the tripod.

I have done three Asteroom shoots at that height.

Here they are:

You be the judge.

Chuck
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Asteroom virtual tour of The Beach Club unit 306, St. Simons Island, GA. Tour by We Get Around Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod
---

@denlee

In this Asteroom tour (above, described in link below), I set the tripod height (floor to camera lens) to 54" ( 4' 6" ).

How this tour helped save a marriage

I prefer shooting a tour at the lower level where the user is not constantly looking down.

Two Free Offers

Two free offers for Asteroom 24/7 Open House Virtual Tours incentive taking Asteroom for a Spin:

Offer 1 by Asteroom: 1st Asteroom Pay Per Tour Bundle is Free for WGAN Forum Members
Offer 2 by WGAN: 1st Asteroom Virtual Staging of a 360 is free for WGAN Forum Members in October 2020

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@denlee

Tip: Take a photo of the camera height because you will need it if you want:

✓ measurements to display within the tour
✓ order floor plans with measurements

---

As I wrote in this WGAN Forum discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
A few more workflow / gear items:

1. In Photo 1, I take a photo of the lens height. This is essential for platforms like Asteroom, EyeSpy360 and Metareal that use the lens height to create the 3D Dollhouse and, in the case of Asteroom, show room measurements (if selected). For EyeSpy360, they also ask for the tripod height. While I could write down the measurements, I find that that it is easier to find the measurements photo later in my camera roll (by date).

2. In Photo 1, notice the adapter to go from a pro tripod to a consumer grade mount of the "extender" and/or Labpano Pilot One.

3. In Photo 1, notice the extender between the tripod adopter and the camera. This is helpful for charging the camera (when not in use - and if necessary - during shoots (the cable and tripod are hidden by the nadir logo patch). Plus, I had the photo retoucher make the tripod disappear (in case I did not use my logo patch or for a client that does not want a logo patch).

4. In photo 3, you can see my "tripod" that I used for this shoot - a Manfrotto 360 VR "tripod" ... It's very stable with a pole (Photo 2). That said, if I was shooting outside with wind, I would use a normal, pro grade tripod.

Best,

Dan

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3
Post 4 IP   flag post
JPPeron private msg quote post Address this user
I would say that the camera heght is more for the feel with the furniture & fixtures than the ceailing. I set mine at about 5'0" regardless of ceiling height. For my exteriors I usually bring it up to around 6 feet.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@JPPeron I agree on stills. It's a feel and experience. I tend to lower and shoot where I don't show the entire base of ceiling fans and I raise to not show the bottom of the cabinets in the kitchen or garages with workbenches. If I have extreme ceilings with lots of character or entrance ways, I'll raise or even shoot vertical.

Outside I raise up as far as I can or fly. I used to bring a 10' ladder but don't do that much anymore. I'll just fly even if they are not paying for a drone shot.

I believe everyone is talking about 360's here and I believe the camera needs to stay the same height so the dollhouses and floor plans can be accurate.

Chuck
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@PickChuck If you don't mind me asking. How many scans did you take of the backyards to produce the images seen in the dollhouse? TIA.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@GETMYVR One in the middle of the yard and one close to the door on two of those.

The one that had the big driveway I took a third.

I would really like to try ringing the property sometime just to see how it would help the dollhouse.

Chuck
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@PickChuck Ok great! So I am very interested in Asteroom, however if I have a property let's say 100 X 250 and the home is centered on it, I will want to shoot all exterior sides for a complete visual perspective in the dollhouse, not just the backyard. Attainable?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@GETMYVR I would think so. Keep in mind that you would need line of sight to the next one.

I sent you a PM.

Chuck
Post 10 IP   flag post
CaryJohn private msg quote post Address this user
If you don't mind, what are your fees for shooting homes with this program?
We currently host 300 plus matterport sites and we also use iGuide.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@CaryJohn was that to me sir? I'll be glad to share my price list if it will help anyone. Different areas have different competition.

If it was PM me your email.

Chuck

P.S. I primarily shoot stills and add on the 360's.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101436 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?