Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
FlashHDRReal EstateSurvey

RE Photography? Flash or No flash?12948

Jacksonville, Florida
thereal360 private msg quote post Address this user
So i am fairly new to RE Photography.

How many of you use a flash? How many use just natural light (all lights in the house)? How many use Multiple Exposure shoots made in a HDR. I thought the last one is the quickest and easiest, but I do find several photos of listings that i would guess had some flash exposure included.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot Sony ~ No flash ~ 5 step bracketed
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Nikon D750 here - no flash - Brackets of 5 or 6 for interior (depending on dynamic range), and usually a bracket of 3 photos for outdoor.

KF
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jacksonville, Florida
what are your bracket steps? 1EV
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
+/- 2 eV for 5 and 6 brackets, +/- 3eV for 3 Brackets
Post 5 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
Go look at this guys work
https://www.mpkelley.com/

He has mastered the use of strobes and light painting in shooting houses.

https://fstoppers.com/product/mike-kelleys-where-art-meets-architecture-1
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Most realtors want to see everything BRIGHT and that usually means a little fill flash on *some* photos. Good HDR/bracketed photos in well lit rooms should be fine. But look at a series of very good real estate photos and you would be hard pressed to find a “natural light only” photographer among them.

I like Nathan Cool’s tutorials. He didn’t invent “flambient” photography, but he has a number of good tutorials. You can combine your bracketed shots with one flash and even a window pull shot to really bring out those backgrounds. You can achieve a LOT with bracketing only, but some rooms need that extra “oomph”.

Believe me, I am an art lover. But if you want the work, you have to go with what the business demands.

Post 7 IP   flag post
dzunker private msg quote post Address this user
So I started as a Google Trusted Photographer is 2014, and worked to make my HDR imagery the best it could be and for it not to look like a comic book. I soon found single exposures to be best for 360 imagery and use flash when necessary for standard photos.

I hand blend of multiple exposures as well to get a natural feel to the look. I really do not like HDR at this point due to the softness of the image, dingy whites, washed out blacks, and skewed colors.

You can get "good enough" HDR image processing for most RE however, but the crisp and clean look is difficult to achieve with just HDR.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
This is a complicated topic. But- I can assure you that even 1 on camera flash file added to your brackets will perk things up considerably. That's assuming you process your own files.

My advice in the simplest form for a beginner: Shoot brackets around 2 stops apart in RAW. Buy 1 Flashpoint Zoom-lion flash, and begin adding 2 flash exposures to your 5 ambients. Get the TTL version, you can use it as a controller later when you begin to add additional flashes. Mount the flash on your camera hot shoe and point it straight up.

Here is a shot of 6 ambients and 4 flash files. See the difference...

Post 9 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Finished file, straight out of Enfuse. I used 4 ambient and 4 flash for this...

Post 10 IP   flag post
Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot with a Sony A7III.I do flash ambient method and do my own post in lightroom classic and photoshop. Makes it easier to deal with color cast from light fixtures and from outside. A lot of my competitors shoot HDR and process their photos with Aurora or some other software in the interest of quick turn.

I'm thinking of investing in a processing software.Especially if business picks up.

Post 11 IP   flag post
New Interior
Solutions
Bellevue, Washington
ftosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot brackets 2 stops apart in RAW, 3 or 5 images depending on the situation. No flash, even though, I admit, I'd like to learn. But as for now, I find that shooting brackets and outsourcing the editing is the fastest way to go.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Jacksonville, Florida
Who do you outsource to?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@thereal360

BoxBrownie $1.60 a photo
Post 14 IP   flag post
Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
@ftosolini Check out Nathan Cool or Rich Baum. Granted, they're doing multi million dollar homes in Cali but they're knowledge and tutorials are very good. Lots of information about post production.

Personally, I love post production work. I was a graphic designer so it's kind of a creative outlet.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Shawn_P

I love it too, but it becomes self-limiting. I've averaged shooting at least 4 jobs per day all summer this year, which is shooting more than I can edit. I don't know what I would do without my trusty offshore editors.

But you're right, when it's for an important client or a one-of-a-kind job, I don't outsource it!

Keith
Post 16 IP   flag post
New Interior
Solutions
Bellevue, Washington
@thereal360 Right now I'm using this company https://www.imageeditingagency.com/.

It is $0.90 per photo (HDR blending and RE editing)
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftosolini
It is $0.90 per photo (HDR blending and RE editing)

Do they merge into HDR and edit at $0.90 per image or each service costs $0.90
Post 18 IP   flag post
New Interior
Solutions
Bellevue, Washington
@Wingman Yes, they merge and edit at $0.90 per image.
Post 19 IP   flag post
101630 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?