Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MirrorsTrimWindows

Materport Windows, Mirrors ets12670

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Bentonville, Arkansas
kwreece private msg quote post Address this user
How much trouble is there with windows, mirrorers etc when using the Matterport?? Still trying finalize my buying decision.

Ken
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@kwreece

I will defer to others on your windows/mirrors question.

If you decide to buy a Matterport Camera, ask a Matterport Sales Rep for a $300 discount. While Matterport typically offers around a $300 discount year-round to anyone that breaths, during COVID-19, that discount has not been as easy to get; UNLESS YOU ASK FOR IT, and don't buy until you get it!

Today (Friday, 30 July 2020) is the last business day of the month. Matterport Sales Manager likely motivated to get every last sale that they can into July.

Let us know how that goes for you.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@kwreece There are a series of very helpful Matterport tutorials on youtube and on this site. WGAN founder, Dan Smigrod did a whole series of very in depth Matterport tutorials with Matterport's Amir Frank which will answer all of your questions about mirrors, windows, creating your perfect Matterport tour.

Matterport is fun, but more importantly, it is a business tool. Stick around this website/forum and read the threads. Check out the work that is being done in industry and commercial properties. Like any business, it takes commitment and a consistent interest in learning more. But, just from my own perspective on how things are unfolding, Matterport is only continuing to grow, even as other competitors are sneaking up on them. Other forum folks will help you in deciding if Matterport is the way to go. 3DVista should be on your radar if Matterport isn't for you. My two cents.

Oh, to answer your question. Windows and mirrors are no problem. You just have to remember to do them as you are scanning. If you wait until later, you are bound to miss one.

Todd
Post 3 IP   flag post
ZakhZ private msg quote post Address this user
Hey @kwreece

Great question, I use matterport and I've found marking windows and mirrors is really easy.

Once you perform a scan, you can see the model on your iPad, and by looking at the walls, it's very easy to figure out where the window feature is meant to be placed.

It's best to done right after your first scan in the room, but if you get it wrong you can simply edit it.

I've found there is a lot of wasted time during the camera scanning and rotating so that's when I choose to mark features.

Don't forget about trim, on my first scan I didn't trim and it caused spray. Now I trim everywhere around the model and it helps make it clean. Trim is best done after your scan because it takes a little longer.

Another pro to Matterport is how it's more recognized from other platforms. I had a client who closed the deal right after I said the words matterport!

Hope this helps,
Post 4 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
Mirrors are not an issue.

You need to be strategic in keeping them out of the scans when possible. Sometimes it's not possible and you just roll with it if you can't find something to hide the camera behind. Vases, flowers, towels over a candle.... all things you can hide the camera behind. Depending on the situation and client you can also lower the camera.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
“ Don't forget about trim, on my first scan I didn't trim and it caused spray. Now I trim everywhere around the model and it helps make it clean. Trim is best done after your scan because it takes a little longer.”

@ZakhZ, yes. Great advice. I did not see anything about this (total coverage) in all of the tutorials I’ve done. I have done work for a pro company and no one ever said anything. On Friday I scanned a space and my associate couldn’t figure out what was missing. Not until all was completed was it brought to my attention that the ENTIRE SCAN SHOULD BE TRIMMED afterward. I thought good window and mirror coverage would handle it. Hard lesson learned. I know my associate wasn’t happy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ZakhZ private msg quote post Address this user
@toddwaddington

Cheers! Yeah I'm really surprised it's not mentioned here: on the Matterport official website

I also thought windows would be enough, but I learned trimming every wall made a huge difference.

After my first scan I reuploaded it about 5 times just seeing what trim works best, totally free, just takes a while to process!

I'd recommend this to anyone starting out, make a copy in the capture app, move your trim markings and experiment.

Matterport cloud automatically detects reuploads and doesn't affect your space quota
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@ZakhZ, yes.

I was taken aback when I received my $3,500 Pro2 that there were ZERO instructions included, I couldn’t even find a link to a virtual manual. I knew the gist of how to scan a room from watching tutorials and I’ve linked enough cameras via wifi that that was a no brainer. But, everything I’ve learned has been from YouTube. And thank God Dan did his series with Amir because that covered many items that might not have been entirely intuitive.

I’m sure that Matterport has their reasons for keeping info lean. But, I had to learn the hard way, after an associate hired me to scan a condo. When all was said and done and I was asked if I had “trimmed the entire space” I was really bummed and frankly, mortified. I have been hired to do several “pro” jobs and this was never mentioned. I thought trimming was for areas where “mystery spill” was present; that window and mirror trim would handle it. Now I know. Let’s face it, Matterport is not that technically complex. It does most of the work for you. With no ability to adjust shutter, exposure and so forth, we rely on a few simple editing tools. One would think there would be one place to find this basic knowledge.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @toddwaddington
And thank God Dan did his series with Amir because that covered many items that might not have been entirely intuitive.

@toddwaddington Much thanks!

Hi All,

The five part series - Matterport Workshop 3.0 with Matterport Content Marketing Manager Amir Frank is included in the WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport). WGAN paid Members receive an All Access Pass to the 50+ courses in all things Matterport.

The WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) also includes an hour discussion of Matterport trimming of mirrors and scanning stairs.

Succeed Faster with the WGAN-TV Training (in Matterport).

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
101429 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?