Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
FeedbackHow ToQuestions

Feedback from a client: How to help eliminate these Matterport challenges?12565

Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
I did a scan yesterday of a studio apartment. Below is the link to the scan

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=iHADtngg3N9&mls=1

Attached are images with feedback. I have tried explaining, twice, that Matterport processes the scans. It may be my positioning. I've sent the document to matterport. Maybe they can shine some light as well.

Post 1 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
Your camera is too close to the doorway. Back off a few feet and shoot on either side of the doorway. Using Matterport - if you get closer than 3 feet to something you will get these stitching errors.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Premium
Columbus, Ohio
MicFoster private msg quote post Address this user
What hardware did you use?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
The Matterport "chatter" is pretty common. I would suggest however NOT scanning in the doorways but, rather on either side of the door threshold

Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
It will be interesting to see what MP has to say about it. It seems we have been having more and more issues with fractured images. A couple years ago, it only seemed to be on stairway with wood spokes but now we get it in so many more places. Luckily, no client has said anything about it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
What camera did you use?
Post 6 IP   flag post
This house has metal railings on the staircase.
It's not too bad but a year ago I did not see as many issues?
I wonder if Matterport is crunching the data more?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=t6rXrx5U7v5
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Ghagendorf

It appears to be a Pro1 or Pro2 you can see the reflection in the kitchen
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by izoneguy

I see in the dining room, one of the chandlier lights is fractured. Also see a couple of other lights in the house with the same issue. That is happening quite a bit to us.

We use the MP 2
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone. I'm using a Matterport Pro2. I'll probably do a rescan of the property. Scanning from the doorway was an "ask" by the client. I'll wait and see what Matterport has to offer.

This client is very high maintenance. I'm not going to go into the rest of the request regarding this 500 sqft space but one I'm done, I'm done.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Shawn_P

I have done a couple of these smaller units:

Post 11 IP   flag post
What does the client expect? For a 500 sq.ft apt the scan was fine. The tours are too show the property. Their clients wont even see the minor errors. They will be looking at the kitchen and the floors. But $900 a month? Wow! I am in the wrong business. LOL
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by izoneguy

I see in the dining room, one of the chandlier lights is fractured. Also see a couple of other lights in the house with the same issue. That is happening quite a bit to us.

We use the MP 2

Yes I shot with the MP2. This home sold one week after it was listed.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Nice.

I'm going to rescan the property. Opening the patio door might alleviate the "stitching" issue there. I want to see what Matterport suggest about the lighting fixtures and the blur.

I'd really like to tell this individual that "no one is looking at the lights on the ceiling, their looking at the space."

Now he's asking me for the "Hi res 3D images" from Matterport. This is the same guy that sent me jpgs from a RICOH and asked if I could create HDR images out of them.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@izoneguy

I've landed one honey of a client. All the questions and the "My RICOH does this and my RICOH does that"

Once I'm done, I'm DONE!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_P
Nice.

I'm going to rescan the property. Opening the patio door might alleviate the "stitching" issue there. I want to see what Matterport suggest about the lighting fixtures and the blur.

I'd really like to tell this individual that "no one is looking at the lights on the ceiling, their looking at the space."

Now he's asking me for the "Hi res 3D images" from Matterport. This is the same guy that sent me jpgs from a RICOH and asked if I could create HDR images out of them.

LOL - then why doesn't he get a Matterport account and do it himself? I have the Z1 also. The Matterport is still sharper but you cannot "fix" the scans. Doing tours with the Z1 require more work, you can edit the high res scans but you don't have the look of walking through a space - but you also don't have the cost of hosting a tour.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Shawn_P

The Ricoh's have their place and they do a decent job for what they are. I use the Z1 for Zillow 3D home tour pretty regularly

https://www.zillow.com/view-3d-home/4c0ef8d6-f72d-44bb-95be-5096c13f8073?setAttribution=mls
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
@Shawn_P

The Ricoh's have their place and they do a decent job for what they are. I use the Z1 for Zillow 3D home tour pretty regularly

https://www.zillow.com/view-3d-home/4c0ef8d6-f72d-44bb-95be-5096c13f8073?setAttribution=mls

I wish Zillow had an option to manually edit the tour and the images. Is there a way to adjust the camera settings?
Post 18 IP   flag post
@izoneguy I know right!
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@izoneguy

Zillow's platform is similar to Matterport's as it controls the camera and is a closed system. Zillow's does give you the option to keep the Pano's on the camera if you wish to use them for other purposes
Post 20 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch I know very little about the RICOH and I didn't mean to come across in a disparaging manner. But this guy is nit picking the blur of a lighting fixture.

The alignment issues are on me because I didn't use the best practice of scanning on either side of the doorway.

I did the scan and 26 stills and he's still making "Oh by the way can you" request.

Usually at this point I'm finished and off to the next client.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Shawn_P

There is nothing that can be done about the nidar or the zenith patches within Matterport. These are blind spots of the camera. Any of the supported 360 cameras will not have the zenith blur (above the camera) but, will have the same nidar (floor) blur
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@lilnitsch I know very little about the RICOH and I didn't mean to come across in a disparaging manner. But this guy is nit picking the blur of a lighting fixture.

The alignment issues are on me because I didn't use the best practice of scanning on either side of the doorway.

I did the scan and 26 stills and he's still making "Oh by the way can you" request.

Usually at this point I'm finished and off to the next client.

I guess you need to educate him about how Matterport works and the limitations. I use to do DSLR pano tours for nitpicky clients. I finally "retired" from offering 360 tours. I only do them for my wife's real estate business now.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@izoneguy

I typically do the tours for builders in my area and contract work for a photography service. This guy reached out via linkedin and is a property investor. I saw dollar signs and thought it's be a consistent piece of business.

No thanks.

Hoping Matterport gets back to me soon so I can answer his questions, rescan and move on.

Thanks for the advice and the chat.
Post 24 IP   flag post
castaway private msg quote post Address this user
Hey there.

Great scans all!

Lilsnitch is right on with the scan before a door way, scan after a doorway, but never in the middle of one.

Need 24" from the camera to anything in every direction.

What I couldn't figure out was the misalignment on the sliding glass door, as you were more than 24" from it.

But then I saw your reflection (on the fridge, from the scan by the door) following the camera around as it scanned.

Probably everyone's done that (I have), and sometimes outdoors? say outdoors when there's nowhere in range to hide (being super-careful not to bump it or cast shadows) sometimes you have to. But there's always a chance of getting bit by some reflection, shadow, etc you didn't count on and in a shot you really wanted or needed.

And it's too easy for one's foot to tap the tripod by accident while moving around it...you probably know this but recommend hiding out of sight in another room as best practices.

Not saying that's what the misalignment on that sliding glass door was (accidentally/inadvertently gently bumping the tripod mid-scan - OR - affecting the pile of the carpet in such a way as you move around it, that it moves the tripod) , but it's definitely something that could cause that, fwiw.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Fotoguy, I remember the firmware bug, I think you're referring to from a few years back. MP fixed that though, way back then. If you've been seeing the kind of minor misalignment that was on the glass door since then? I'd look at making sure no ball joint on the tripod, MP approved stable level tripod, trying to not scan with less than 24 inches from anything (so before and after doorways instead of in the middle, not up close to corners and nightstands no matter how tempting to do so to make the room look larger) etc. If you've already ruled all that out? Might get the camera looked at by MP?

Izoneguy's metal railing were (not his fault) less than 24" from the camera, but as you know the infrared doesn't really form mesh reliably on anything less than 1.5 inches or so. So less an issue, more a known a system limitation. Fwiw when there're thin metal spindles on a stairway and a solid color wall without a bannister, if I have to choose one of two 'less than 24 inches'' to lean into? I'll go closer to the wall to get less known effects on the thin spindles and less of a noticeable effect on the wall, fwiw.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@castaway

Outside of a bump a loose clamp or ballhead can cause similar issues
Post 26 IP   flag post
adc1967 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a Real Estate Agent Client or by owner?
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@adc1967
Quote:
This guy reached out via linkedin and is a property investor.

Sounds like "By Owner" ~ either way this particular client doesn't seem to understand the purpose of the tour. Regardless of the tour platform this isn't "Fine Art" it's a tool to help sell or rent a property by allowing someone to preview a property remotely
Post 28 IP   flag post
adc1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree. I have not taken on "By Owner" clients for 9 years. Too much maintenance and when their generally over priced home does not sell...they start blaming the photos. Too many professional entities out there to waste your time with "owners"
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@adc1967 I have had the opposite experience I have had a couple FSBO's (though not my bread and butter) and they gave me full control to do my thing and sold quickly with multiple offers. But, I am in a hot market right now
Post 30 IP   flag post
101436 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?