Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppInsta360 Pro 2PenthouseScanningUrgentVirtual Reality

URGENT: help scanning this Penthouse (Matterport)12199

WGAN
Fan Club
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
skyload300 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all
I am scanning this space very soon, need advice:

Space: 2 floor Penthouse with open air private Pool.
Using Insta360 OneX

Questions:
1- Place has MASSIVE & CURVED wall windows (see photos)
Any Scanning tips? (specially when marking curved windows on capture app)

2- Small Spiral Staircase:
I read at Matterport that spiral staircases must be scanned on EVERY step.. is this correct?
Shall i scan each step then hide it from model to smooth the tour?

3- Rooms has Angel windows, any tips?

4- any other tips ?

Thanks a lot guys

Post 1 IP   flag post
SpencerLasky private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to know about the spiral staircase - I did a very tight small stair case that went up a floor, and the dollhouse shows the room I scanned is flipped around - so I'm assuming the staircase finally gave inaccurate insights.

Mark the windows as you g! In my limited experience, this is why the matterport 2 will work better for this, ever time you push the limits of non-laser scanning camera's you will probably develop results that point to why we use matterport pro 2 or BLK360.

Having said that and with so much daylight I'd suggest the BLK360 Lecia for this scan - but assuming that does not easily avail let's see how you do, possible approach the first day scanning as a test if you can present that to the client in that way. I personally feel we are dealing with new and ever-changing technology so why not just explain you need to confirm it can manage the windows as they are.

Also make sure to anchor the pink duck thing so its not moving around - turn off fans too. Good luck can't wait to see the results. Spencer
Post 2 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
I will start with saying that while I have dealt with all of these things, I do not think that I have ever had them all in such close proximity to each-other. Even though I DO have a OneX I am not sure that I would use it on a gig such as what you describe. Then again I use mine more as a supplement/fill or highly specialized placement device, so it's possible running with it primary may have become a lot more consistent than I remember!

1. Curved windows are typically not a problem as long as you have solid geometry around you. If you have troubles maintaining alignment I would probably first try using those lounge chairs to my advantage with some creative placement. I also will generally mark the individual panes of glass on the map to define the curve over time, don't try to do one single window definition for a long curved surface like that!

2. It really depends on the diameter of the steps and whether or not it is the open-air type, or a closed staircase. Open air for instance does not have as much of a problem with getting lost in the repetition. Generally speaking I have not ever had to go a single step at a time. Also for some spirals lowering the tripod some has also helped in the past, especially with the tight space kind.

3. That angle does not look too bad, pitched walls like that can create some mayhem in the mini map as it tries to interpret, but in my experience is always cleaned up in post.

Other suggestions? Negotiate ample time for creative thinking as necessary! We have a saying in the martial arts community, harsh but very true. "Everybody has a plan, until they take their first punch". Good luck and do report back on how it goes!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Hisham,
All the above advice is sound.
I'd take my first scan in the living room as far away from the windows while showing as much of them as possible. Then mark up straight away. The remaining scan will be better.
Shoot first thing in the morning last thing before sunset.
Switch on all lights, inside and outside.
Tidy up how the beds are made.
On the stairs, if there are no light fittings or art works to differentiate the steps borrow some of the small plants or artworks and place every 5 steps or so. Only scan every 3 or so steps.
I assume you know about adding floors, if not read up first.
Angel windows are not a thing here in Ireland, so no idea about them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hi Hisham,
I'd take my first scan in the living room as far away from the windows while showing as much of them as possible. Then mark up straight away. The remaining scans will be better.
Shoot first thing in the morning last thing before sunset.
Switch on all lights, inside and outside.
Tidy up how the beds are made.
On the stairs, if there are no light fittings or art works to differentiate the steps borrow some of the small plants or artworks and place every 5 steps or so. Only scan every 3 or so steps.
I assume you know about adding floors, if not read up first.
Angel windows are not a thing here in Ireland, so no idea about them.
Finally the pool area has a roof. Has anyone tried to treat the opening as windows and mark them up as such in the capture app?
Oliver
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLasky
I'd like to know about the spiral staircase - I did a very tight small stair case that went up a floor, and the dollhouse shows the room I scanned is flipped around - so I'm assuming the staircase finally gave inaccurate insights.

Mark the windows as you g! In my limited experience, this is why the matterport 2 will work better for this, ever time you push the . Spencer

Hey Spencer, Thanks for the advice especially anchoring the Pink Duck!
I don't own any other cameras except the Insta360. will report back
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardStanton
I will start with saying that while I have dealt with all of these things...

Hey Richard, Thanks for the advice. I will relocate the lounge chairs if i get a misalignment.

Will also get enough time to scan and test.

Thanks
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsmuir
Hi Hisham,
...Oliver

Hey Oliver, Thank you for the inputs.
I will start far off in Living room, then mark each window as i go..
Question about that: when scanning away from windows.. do I mark them at initial scan or when i get closer to windows ?
I mean, when you scan a space you get good image around the scan point (in capture app) then a whole lot of "Spray" as you go further from the scan point; so is it better to mark windows as i get closer or its okay to mark on the spray ?

Adding floors: You add 2nd floor at the "last step of the stairs" then scan again at next step.

yea?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Yes mark the windows as soon as possible.
You can always finesse the exact marking as you go along.
This way I find you end up with better scans and a better model.
To state the obvious you must not mark up doorways in the glazing that you will be using to access the exterior.
I'm used to working with the Mark 2 Matterport camera so I'm conscious your experience way be different.
Moving on to another floor at the top of the stairs you continue the existing floor right up to the last step you are scanning.
When you move the camera on to the new floor then you register a new floor in the app and capture your first scan.
Good luck!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@skyload300 shoot early morning as the sun in the marina is too blown out in the afternoon, or time your shoot otherwise it is going to look very blown out.Had the issue when shooting hotels in that area, so it turns out to be a long day of shooting. The spiral staircase wont be hard, just do them at shorter intervals, and if there are mirrors in it mark them immediately. just do your trim lines on the windows to the nearest line on the inside don't worry about the curve. Maybe just check on Damac's website , I think they have had that penthouse scanned a year or so ago. Enjoy the scan , very nice view from up there. If you get stuck, pm me and I can come over and help you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Gvrs private msg quote post Address this user
Hello there,I am a former MSP presently in Brickell- I have a Pro2 if you need a loaner and would be happy to help with the filming if you need a hand.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the open area, yes you can mark the opening as window.

I scanned a pool area for an apartment community. Had to anchor it somewhere so I scanned their covered cabana area. Had to mark a hallway as a window to stop an ugly dollhouse. Also had a glass fence that I had to mark as a window.... They were mainly interested in the 360 photos, but I still made sure the anchor scan was respectable.

I also may have put some trim/remove marks in that one as well.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Wish I was in Brickell right now! Happy hour at Trulucks, I'm buyin!

Anyway- I'd be very concerned about that staircase. Hopefully, there are some differentiating features in there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101432 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?