Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro2Ricoh Theta Z1

Buy Theta Z1 or Matterport Pro 2?12144

wvirtualhomes private msg quote post Address this user
Want to get advice. I am a real estate photographer and would like the opinion of those out there who feel is Matterport Pro 2 overkill for Matterport tours or Should I just invest in a Theta Z1?

The only benefits I see for Matterport Pro for RE 360 tours is the floorplans for $15 and a more accurate measuring tool. I know the image quality is higher ona Matterport but for Real Estate I don't think that matters as much bc Theta Z1 tours look pretty damn good. And you can use the Theta Z1 also for Zillow 3D tours so it has multiple purposes.

What do you think is the better investment?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@wvirtualhomes You may ask @pistolpete47, he want to replace his Theta Z1 + USD??? to a Matterport Pro1 or Pro2 camera. Ask him why?
Post 2 IP   flag post
botticelli private msg quote post Address this user
Two Thetas is better than one Matterport imo
Post 3 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
If you are using the Matterport eco-system then the Matterport camera. If you are not getting a Matterport subscription - then the Z1. Remember - you have to manually build tours if you don't get a Matterport subscription. For all of Matterports flaws it is still the easiest to use.
Post 4 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@wvirtualhomes I had both Pro2 and Z1. Just one opinion, but while using Matterport processing, I would not even think about using the Z1 for the reasons you mentioned, because there was no advantage of time in addition to the measurement inaccuracy by comparison. As well, I always use the floor plans that come from those scans, either because they were ordered, or because I intended to upsell the client.

I did a dozen sample tours with my Z1 (with Matterport processing), then compared to my Pro2 and immediately dismissed the thought of using the Z1 so long as I owned a Pro2.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by izoneguy
If you are using the Matterport eco-system then the Matterport camera. If you are not getting a Matterport subscription - then the Z1. Remember - you have to manually build tours if you don't get a Matterport subscription. For all of Matterports flaws it is still the easiest to use.

I would use the Theta Z1 in the Matterport eco system, to scan my tours and edit my tours. For real estate agents I dont know how much the lower quality from a Matterport 2 to a Theta Z1 even matters to some. And I could use the $2700 in savings to upgrade some of my other equipment (say a new drone and a new lens for my camera)
Post 6 IP   flag post
PLus for a Real Estate Photography business, with a Theta Z I could offer both a Zillow 3D tour and a Matterport tour.
Post 7 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I have both so I do Matterport with the Pro2 and Zillow with the Z1. All the Motorhomes I just use the Z1 because I can adjust the panos and each coach is only 4-7 shots.
Post 8 IP   flag post
For Real Estate though do you think the quality is that huge bt a Pro 2 and a Theta Z1? As far as meeting a clients expectation.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Easy solution: Buy both!

Seriously, the Theta Z1 is a GREAT tool, and allows you to do outdoor tours independent of the Matterport space. If you were thinking of one camera only - easy choice. Z1! Earn some $s then see where you are. You can always pick up a Matterport camera down the line.

Keith
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I own both but the Pro 2 3D crushes the Z1 which I am getting for Zillow tours, it ships to me tomorrow.

I would say this, seek quality over price. And people do notice the difference its just that he smoothness of a VT with 80 Pro2 3d scans vs 10 z1 is deafening.

And you're right, most agents don't know the difference.

Size does matter!

If you just are going to do the Z1, no reason to use matterport, use a Kuula or Eyespy360 or any of the other 100 software choices.

It took me 2 months to get my hand on the Z1, I'm very excited to see what it can do, especially quicken my workflow.
Post 11 IP   flag post
marcoastan private msg quote post Address this user
both@wvirtualhomes I have both. The Matterport quality is very good, but Theta has a good quality too. Theta is a simple camera. if you want to use it with matterport platform, I think the difference is you can't get the floor plan with Theta, because it hasn't a laser to do measurement. But if you need the floor plan, you need a Matterport camera.

That's my opinion
Post 12 IP   flag post
I guess the one thing is if you have a Matterport, you can do more commercial work? But how hard is it to break into that? Anyone have an opinion?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvirtualhomes
I guess the one thing is if you have a Matterport, you can do more commercial work? But how hard is it to break into that? Anyone have an opinion?

We can do commercial work with both camera. I use both for commercial work. If you will use the camera outdoor, I suggest you to choose Theta. But if you will use it only for indoor and need floor plan choose Matterport. Sometimes I used both camera for 1 project like this

I scan inside with matterport camera because I need the floor plan, after that I duplicate the model and I continue scans with Theta for outside.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thats a neat idea so you can get the outside done. The pic quality is solid but the tour when you go outside is not smooth like th einterior, is that bc of the camera?
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, so matterport sucks for outside unless it's 360... Hoping the Theta z1 will solve that too.

So many options gang.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvirtualhomes
Thats a neat idea so you can get the outside done. The pic quality is solid but the tour when you go outside is not smooth like th einterior, is that bc of the camera?

Yes, because matterport work with scanning system, but Theta work with still image. CMIIW
Post 17 IP   flag post
Got it, very cool technique either way
Post 18 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I have wrestled with this same question for some time since I have been using the Pro 1 since 2014. Long story short, I decided to go with the Theta Z1 instead of upgrading to the Pro 2. The reasons for this are below.

1) I did not want to further invest into the Matterport ecosystem as there have been many decisions made that I do not agree with.

2) While the quality of the Pro 2 imagery is superior to the Theta Z1, I do not believe that it is as important for the intended use when experience the tour as a virtual walk-through. I don't think users are scrutinizing the quality of the photospheres and it is only really noticeable when viewed when the 2 tours are compared on a large screen. Most people are viewing tours on mobile devices where the small screen renders the increase in image quality moot.

3) The scan speed of the Theta Z1 is 3-4 times faster than the Pro 2. I am able to scan 5000-6000 sqft in an hour with the Theta Z1. This allows me to add more viewing points within the final tour and create a more complete dollhouse in less time than with a Pro 2.

4) Because of the increased scan speed I can upsell the Matterport tour much easier than before. Since I can scan a 2000 sqft house in 20 minutes, I don't have to sell the tour for $200. I am happy with the additional $150 as an add-on. Honestly, I have been thinking of reducing the price even further so that it will be a no brainer for agents to include them on all properties.

5) There is much more versatility. The Theta Z1 works with many other platforms and also has video capability which opens up a whole new service offering. The Pro 2 cannot even touch this space.

6) Finally, the cost was much easier to swallow. I like to have redundancy with my equipment and while I could use my Pro 1 as a back up to a Pro 2, it was more affordable to purchase 2 Theta Z1 cameras.

7) As far as floor plans go, I use Captu3D.io for my floor plan processing. In order to increase the accuracy of the floor plan measurements, I take a few measurements on site (usually of the largest room) to give them some reference measurements to scale the rest of the model from. They turn the plans around in record time and include options for customization as well as 3D options for one low price, around $16.

Example tour below with interior and exterior.

I hope this helps you to make your decision.

Jon J
Post 19 IP   flag post
101636 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?