Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MuseumsNewbiesProblemsRenderingsScanningWarehouse

Another matterport scanning question11697

rastas private msg quote post Address this user
I'll get my Matterport camera tomorrow. Excited to use it. I asked the other day what the worst case scenario was with regard to a rendering (could it come back as a black screen? rooms not linking? etc).

Few people weighed in saying that the software and rendering process were pretty much fool proof and its hard to "break it". That was reassuring.

But I recently looked at a coommercial matterport scan of a large office space (70,000 sqf), and the person doing the scan wouldnt' go into every little office cubical. INstead he just did one scan at the doorframe so we could see it.

He did the same for large connecting warehouse spaces - just one scan at the door looking in, showing the huge expanse.

And in another case, the photographer went into the huge warehouse, but only did 2-3 scans, so there's big leap frogging around when you scan through the space - which I dont mind. Easier to view and easier to scan with less points.

So the questions is: as long as the camera can "see" the last scan point, is it absolutely necessary to do that every six foot scan point method? what happens if I do every 30 feet in a wide open space.

Whats the worst that can happen?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes what is scanned vs what is visible to the to the public can be vary different as the client may not want certain spaces shown to the public
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
The Pro2 3D is good for about every 15 ft. There are other cameras much better suited for 70,000 square feet. If I am not mistaken there is a 200 scan limit for a Matterport tour. Once you actually get out there and trip a couple times over your own feet, all your questions will be answered my friend.

Among the most important tips I will give you is to make sure that you scan on both sides of the inside of doorways on any interior.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@GETMYVR 200 point is not the limit.
Check below showcase which is the biggest showcase that I knew for now: 888 points, over 83K Sq.Ft. totally.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=L32r1idTVNb

Measure of [L32*****VNb] is 83610.71 Sq.Ft. ( 7767.69 m2 )

Floor001 is 43551.43 Sq.Ft. ( 4046.06 m2 )
Floor002 is 23171.45 Sq.Ft. ( 2152.70 m2 )
Floor003 is 16887.82 Sq.Ft. ( 1568.93 m2 )
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JuMP

Ambitious project. How many days to complete the capture?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@lilnitsch It is not our tour, someone do this and they use our measurement tool to calculate the total Sq.Ft., so that I know it.
It is the biggest by now, push the limit of Matterport to a new high level.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@JuMP I was obviously misinformed. Kind of sucks cuz I passed up a couple deals.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@GETMYVR There is a new record just show up at last night!

Not the maximum area, but the maximum points.

Captured Points : 1104
Total Floors: 12
Created Date : 2020-04-12

Congratulation to Matterport! New record 1104 points!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@rastas for an average residential house I scan 42 sq ft per scan, commercial which is more open I scan 90 sq ft.

What will happen when you scan 30 foot apart is that you will have to go back 24 feet after the scan fails to align. The camera simply will not allow you to create a scan that does not have sufficient information to mesh. Once you have been doing this long enough you will know automatically how far apart to place the scans. You will also fall asleep with the sound of the Matterport motor whirring in your head.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@JuMP Records are great but when they don't process they suck.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@GETMYVR I am comfortable with up to 500 scans, you can push it further but the downside is when the model does not process.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@leonherbert If Matterport don't process that big capture, you can just make a copy and cut the original big scan to 2 or 3/4/5 smaller parts before upload.
After that we have solution to make them a whole tour showcase.
But that is a selfhosted tour and won't be on Matterport server anymore.

We recommand you to try process big capture in one showcase with Matterport solution.
In case you can't get the whole showcase processed by Matterport, cut them and after small parts were processed by Matterport, You can PM us with all the small showcase result links to try our solution.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@rastas

Some spaces are also more finicky than others if you have a lot of reflective surfaces or a very repetitive space you may need more scan positions or need to use Assisted Alignment markers

But, these are all things you learn as you go. Each persons journey is a little different
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I think Matterport virtually has no limit for processing but the device that is used for scanning may have limit in calculation for alignment. The more scan points you have the more calculations are required and that's where some devices are not performing well. I have done tours on Ipad 5th with 350 and more scans and I have at least 3 of these done for one client in one building.
Never seen it failed to align. But then these spaces plus 2 small ones, plus steps over 4 floor were combined by Matterport. So the master tour should have more than 1000 scans in total and it is working just fine.

It was stitched by Dee when she was still with us.

Here it is https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=wxzWqN28s5S
Post 14 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@JuMP This is not my first rodeo and no I don't think your solution is a good one unless I decided to use that.

@Wingman You may be correct about limits but they either have a server timeout or something like that, that prevents a very large model from processing. Also it is folly to create massive tours that cannot display well in a browser. Also we might as well forget about stitching, I do not believe anyone at Matterport now knows what that even means.

I would caution newbies from just going out there and promising the World and not been able to produce a finished product.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101646 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?