Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ProblemsTroubleWrong Place

matterport scans showing up in the wrong place11527

davem private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I just completed scanning a house the other day. While there I noticed that some scans were showing up in the wrong place on the floor. I deleted it and tried to scan again, had the same issue. Could someone explain why and how to fix it.
Thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@davem - Please add some info as to what camera you were using, a Pro 1 or 2 or a 360° camera such as Ricoh or Insta.

However, the bottom line is that the MP software simply tries to find alignment with a previous scan position, and sometimes fails, especially if using a 360 camera (not Pro) and sometimes even with the Pro cameras when the light has changed.

IMHO, one of the biggest failings of MP is not giving photographers the ability to re-locate scans which go awry. It would be so easy to build into the software that each new scan, when added to the set, can be "tapped" making it moveable and rotatable, so that the photographer can slide and spin it to the correct position using the visual info on the iPad screen. Then "tap" again to lock it. This would be a powerful addition, especially for scanning with non-infrared 360 cameras which have only the photos to go by and misalign more than they align successfully.

Of course, the problem with this solution is that this procedure would require skill and judgment from the operator, and MP wants to maintain their ecosystem at the lowest skill level possible to "Power" the easy and cheap interchangeability of photographers. If skill is involved, camera owners are not all alike, and some would require being paid better than others. MP does not want that. We are Uber drivers, identical and expendable. MP will allow nothing in their system which changes that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
EricThomas private msg quote post Address this user
I have experienced this as well. Doesn't happen all the time but it is a pain. I use a Pro2 and usually power down the camera for 60 secs and closeout the matterport capture app on the iPad. Reboot everything and then resume and it corrects itself.
Post 3 IP   flag post
davem private msg quote post Address this user
thanks for the information I'm using a Ricoh Z1
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, with the Z1 scans often do not align even close, much less perfectly. It works best in unfurnished or sparsely furnished interiors. I really wish MP would let us manually align them. If they did, the system could be powerful.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@davem What is most probably happening is that the AI is having difficulty finding information to lock on to. It most probably "thinks" the wrong location is where it should set the new scan. Is it usually located on the edge of the area scanned?

I would advise scanning more scans around the are that you are having problems with, even back from the image. That way the AI has more info to work with and may align pickup up the scan you are trying to make.

In the image I have provided, the red dot is where you are attempting to scan but the scan ends up somewhere else. The yellow dots are the extra ones I would try to do before scanning the red dot again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have just come from scanning a roof of an apartment building with gym, pool, some outdoor sitting and bbq area. It was sunny so I used cortex. At first it went well but then close to the middle it started ruining the whole model even though I stopped using cortex and used normal scanning. At some point outdoor area started coming inside of the gym area by at least 2 meters. And that was happening on two sides of the gym. Not sure what I will get after processing but it is probably the last time I was using cortex. It such a pain without even guarantee it won't ruin the whole model later. Imagine you have done 50 scans and on 51th and further everything becomes ruined.

If that's going to be the case with my current roof tour I will either have to go there again and reshoot it with my Pilot Era or submit to current one to GSV and then build a custom tour with it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101628 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?