Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BathroomBlockingDoorScanning

Yikes! Door opens out, blocking hallway. Help please!10953

Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Scanned a large home the other day, and ran into a problem that is unresolved.

There is a long, narrow hallway leading to the master bedroom and about 8 ft before the doorway there is a half bath. And the large wide door opens out.
I've never seen a door that blocked so much hallway, even at 45 degrees.

How would it be best to approach this issue?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Seanpatrick private msg quote post Address this user
Best I did in a situation like that was to scan up to about 4 feet from the half bath (with door closed). The I opened the door out to its 45 degrees and scanned in front of the HB, then scanned inside the bathroom. Then closed the door, scanned a few front in front of it (nearing the entrance to the bedroom) and continued the scan. At that point doing the walk thru it opened up as I got right to the half bathroom and didn't look distracting in the prior scans. Its not perfect, but it worked. I did this same thing where two adjacent walk-in closets blocked the entire hallway with their doors open.
Post 2 IP   flag post
However.....I did have another situation where there was a hallway and one door lead to the basements stairs, the other door, directly across lead to the attached garage. I did the same keep doors closed then opened them. In this scan I was not able to walk thru into the stairs or garage, ugh. So I had to go back and got a little lucky as the doors opened all the way up to the wall (out, resting again the hallway walls). This worked, and looked decent. If the door opens up all the wall to the wall and you can put a stop under it that would work.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise
@Seanpatrick

A related WGAN Forum discussion:

Help Please! Matterport Scanning Alignment problem with Doors Open/Closed

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Seanpatrick

About the challenge of not being able to walk, here is a tactic to solve this problem (from a related WGAN Forum discussion):

How to use a 'Matterport Sandwich' (and How to Avoid Having to Use it)

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
I had a very similar situation and handled it in the similar way to @SeanPatrick, however when the tour was processed, I ran into an issue where the door blocked the path of travel (i.e. a visitor could not continue navigating down the hallway because the model was behaving as if there was a wall blocking it). I tried all kinds reprocessing attempts where I would try hiding certain scans where it was open, but I just couldn't get it. The best solution I found online was going back into the capture app and using the trim tool to make a very small rectangle of trim lines around the door so the feature was cut from the model, then reprocessed the tour. If memory serves, this still was not an ideal resolution and it still had some quirky behavior during the tour but it was the best I could generate in post since we didn't have the option to go back out to scan again.

Good luck!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DougMagners

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you did a Matterport Sandwich! 😎👍

Please see about which I probably posted while you were typing.

Same?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod, what timing! Yes, apparently I did a sandwich without knowing the cool name 😁. That is very helpful. Thank you Dan.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DougMagners

Way to think it through about how to solve the problem!

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Yep.

Seems like that. When returning from the bedroom, the next couple scan spots seem to be blocked by the door, even those scans are hidden. Going to try trimming, you can see the ghost door inn the mesh.

I feel like there must be a nearly fool-proof strategy for this scenario, but it eludes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMagners
however when the tour was processed, I ran into an issue where the door blocked the path of travel (i.e. a visitor could not continue navigating down the hallway because the model was behaving as if there was a wall blocking it).
Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?