Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceCupixFloor PlansMuseumsQuestion of the DayScanning

Can a 1st Generation Matterport Camera Handle 100,000 SQFT? [HELP!]9735

MagnaShow private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone,

I need some QUICK advice on how to go about a 100,000 SQFT warehouse job.

As I mentioned, I will be using the first generation camera, and I also have the highest level subscription as an MSP (50 users and 300 hostings).

Questions to answer:

1) Can 100,000 SQFT fit in just one virtual tour?

2) Is there a quota of scans I need to be worried about during the job?

3) What is the best practice to handle this job?

4) Can floor plans be generated from a 100,000 SQFT virtual tour? If not, can I ask Matterport to split up the floor plans into sections off of one big scan?

PLEASE HELP!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@MagnaShow

Matterport is simply not the right solution for a 100,000 SQ FT project.

I encourage you to read WGAN Forum discussions tagged:

Large
Cupix

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, the Pro1 can handle very large spaces.

I made a 80.000 sqft model 3 years ago, so you should not have a problem now - with showcase 3.

But you will need a high performance iPad - pro3.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@MeshImages Thank you so much for the positivity. I have no option in switching to another solution and the client needs to start ASAP.

I was going to rig an external power unit for the Pro1 so its battery life can last the long sessions.

And for the iPad, I have no issues running the best.

How did you approach such a big scan? I assume I should map out the edges first until I go full circle. Then slowly weave my way in the property.

Can floor plans be generated after?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Approach depends on the layout of the object. Scanning large objects can cause alignment problems.

Think about using Matterport alignment tags and follow the hints from Matterports website clickable text. I am always scanning in serpentines and never had a problem with alignments.

And maybe use a tripod dolly.

Matterport will probably not make a floorplan but you will find many floorplan providers here on WGAN or search online.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@MeshImages I just got off the phone with both the client and then Matterport support. The client has agreed to lower overall sqft to 35,000sqft. Matterport suggested using alignment tags as you mentioned and confirmed that a Pro1 camera can handle up to 500 scans... just make sure your iPad has the strength/memory for the job.

However, the deal breaker is the fact that Matterport only does 10,000 SQFT floor plans and have a 40% chance of agreeing to produce a floor plan above 10,000SQFT.

This job requires a floor plan more than anything. Who do you recommend as a provider in the floor plan world in WGAN? Is it possible to give these floor plan providers the Matterport scan and they create such floor plans? Will break the bank?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Petra from blue-sketch.com and mp2fp.com are both good and there is others, too.

And you can also try Matterport. Should cost you the double rate, 38 USD for larger than 10.000,00 Maybe they do it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I just completed a 25,000 sq ft MP scan (3 floors) which totaled about 450 scans and worked fine. This was for an AEC project so floor plans (2D and 3D) were created outside of MP's system, BIM style. I may be able to connect you with suppliers to satisfy your client's needs.

@MeshImages - I would love to see the 80k model you accomplished. There may be more large spaces in my own future. If you can share, thank you!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Home3D yes, I can share. This model has more than 90,000 sqft on a total of 3 levels.

We have captured this model in August 2016 with a Pro1 and without any alignment tags

clickable text

You can tour the whole site using Mattertags with deep links. 18 models connected. Total area of about 300,000 sqft. Unfortunately I could not yet find a way to replace all the Matterport deep links with MPEmbed deep links. I think MPEmbed is not yet supporting it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@MagnaShow It all depends on the amount of difference and space between scans (i.e. if it is a wide empty warehouse), whether or not you can scan w/o alignment tags.

The most important thing to remember is to maintain alignment as you scan. Once the model goes out of alignment this becomes an issue. If you do not need the doll house view you can get away with less scans but you have to keep alignment. I have found that if you do the exterior first, often the plan warps. So you might want to scan in lines. Others may chime in differently.

If you are having alignment issues one way to fix it is to move scans to a dummy floor, make sure you get alignment on the dummy floor, and then join them back to the previous floor. This can fix these problems, but it could increase time.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@MagnaShow I have done 5 schools that are well over 85000 sqft each.

Just make sure you are using the latest iPad as the app will crash and not be able to go over 250+ scans, trust me I have been there.

When you do multiple floors that have to get stitched in. Do extra scan around each staircase on the top of the first model and again with the second one going down. This will help when the model gets stitched together.

One model had to have 24 separate models stitched in. Also, check your alignment on the capture app as long hallways or even big open spaces, the walls start to warp or "break". Also, you will see holes in the mesh view and that can also create problems with the navigation.

I am tendering to do a 198,000 sqft distribution center, so will be interesting to see how the camera is going to perform. Preparing myself to at least spin 1800+ around the camera, think it can be a new marketing strategy for Matterport. "Matterport" keeps you fit while you work, take it for a "spin"....
Post 11 IP   flag post
101637 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?