Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
pheller private msg quote post Address this user
We did a 14,000 square foot mansion built in 1929 yesterday in Coronado, CA. I was worried about getting it done in less than 200 scans. We really limited the number of placements, and luckily many of the rooms were large and only required a few camera locations. This was a 3 story (actually 5 with the attic and basement which were not scanned). We got it done in about 170 scans and it looks great! Some of the rooms and bathrooms were just scanned from the doorway. We had to make just a couple of changes and are waiting for the revised model now. I will post it as soon as it is done.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Well done. It's a great feeling when you get to the last scan and everything worked. Looking forward to seeing it
Post 2 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats! We look forward to seeing the final scan!
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
That is the name of the game optimize the number of scans on large properties, can't wait to see it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@pheller That's great news.

It may be helpful to know:

1. While Matterport supports up to 10,000 sf and 200 scans ...
2. No limit to the number of scans when you capture
3. Duplicate model; then delete scans you do not need

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @pheller,
I shot one just about a year ago at 15,000 sqft (back in the olden days 300 scans/15000 sqft was supported) and there were all kinds of glitches happening at that time, so it had to be stitched together form 4 models. There was well over 300 points, since there needed to be overlap to be connected. Once it was finally completed it ran terribly. It took forever to load and it would constantly buffer and sometimes crash.

The reason I bring this up is because I looked at it the other day and it runs fine. I don't know if there was something major changed when converted to showcase 2.0, but I can walk through the entire house without a problem. It still takes a long while to load, but it is actually functional now. Since I have seen this I'm not worried about going over the magic number 200. I'm pretty sure they told me it was a soft cap anyway.

Will you upload that monster once you have it finished? I would love to see what a 14,000 sqft mansion from the 20's looks like.

Respectfully,
Jake
Post 6 IP   flag post
falconshakka private msg quote post Address this user
yes that would be very cool to see
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here's the big house scan. It was really hard due to the very poor lighting in the house. Some rooms were off limits, so we could only scan from the doorway or not at all.

Post 8 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@pheller
Pretty amazing house. I briefly went thru the whole thing and it looks good, the courtyard looks great. How long did it take you and did you run into any major issues? One other question and I am not an Ipad expert, so I do not know if this can be done. But can you look at the model on you Ipad and see how big the file is there and give use the exact number of scans?

Ron
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ron0987 it took us about 5 hours. It ended up being exactly 150 scans after we deleted a few redundant scans. I can't get a file size (or I don't know how to do that) but I'm guessing you could DL the obj file to find this out. What is the need to know the file size?
Post 10 IP   flag post
falconshakka private msg quote post Address this user
yea looks pretty good man, you got lucky with the courtyard door, having the door closed in some of your scans almost blocked the entrance, you can only exit through a specific way

Doing a large mansion is tricky, especially when you are in a crunch for time...you end up sacrificing the doll house view
which ends up leaving a lot of holes in the 3D mesh but the walk through is pretty good...good job man on such a large scan
Post 11 IP   flag post
101640 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?