Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Question of the DaySnapshots

Question of the Day: Why are you NOT using auto-generated MP SnapShots?9413

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Thursday, 23 May 2019:

Why are you not using auto-generated Matterport SnapShots?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
Because they are terrible.
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
well, they're not "terrible" and i'm frankly amazed what AI can generate, but they ARE unusable.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Some of them are pretty great... Others not so much. I'd say about 30% are usable.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
osakadave private msg quote post Address this user
Unusable in most cases for me. Check the vertical lines, most always skewed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I'd rather create my own.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
June private msg quote post Address this user
I stopped that a long time ago......are they better now?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Narvan891 private msg quote post Address this user
Mainly, added perks that we provide to our clients like digital fires in fireplaces and more importantly, crystal clear window views, are not able to be done utilizing this technology...at this point. **Edited** to add: - also, the wide angle lenses we use provide a fuller view than the Matterport generated snaps - also the angle the AI uses is not necessarily the one we'd choose composing a high quality still shot. All that being said - for some listings (and some agents!) the Matterport image grabs are not bad at all. If you had access to the lower exposure set of the internally generated HDR you could conceivably layer in good window views afterwards - but hey! I don't want that camera to do everything! ...Or do I...?
Post 8 IP   flag post
BrokerBruce private msg quote post Address this user
I would have to agree with the above posts. For me they aren't composed the way most photo buffs would do it and I agree with the vertical lines being an issue. My dad always told me "son if you want it done right do it yourself" Except now we have technology to assist us when we do it ourself.
Post 9 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,

Curious as to your answer to your same question?

As a newbie looking forward to launching a new biz, this was one of the "workflow" reasons I chose Matterport. Based on these initial replies, it appears my thinking was not based on fact.

When the MP salesperson took me through this step on their backend, what I saw looked more than acceptable for real estate listings and agents on more of a budget - say $500K or less. I thought I'd save my Sony A7SII for the more discerning types and offer up the stills out of my Pro2 packaged with a 3d MP Tour and a 2D floorplan as my first package.

Thoughts?
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Greenville, South Carolina
8643d private msg quote post Address this user
As a newbie myself, I planned on starting with a similar package. Pro2 is my only camera.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@bryanhscott & @8643d

I started with a package like that, and it's still the most popular Matterport pkg that I sell. I've added a few different packages now, some include drone video or stills, but I only include floor plans in my top pkg. Not every agent wants or needs floor plans so I offer that as an add on for all the lower priced packages.

I would suggest that when scanning, you lower you camera height so the lens is set at around 4ft. For most homes, I found that height to be the best compromise for getting both the scan and still images at the same time. With some simple, action driven adjustments, you can make the Matterport still images really pop, and my clients are thrilled with them. The walkthrough also looks natural with the camera set at 4ft.

The number one selling point that I use, to get clients to try me, is that I tell them that when they hire me for a 3D Tour, the still photos are free so they don't have to hire a separate photographer. $$ saved!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@rzphotoman
Thx for the info on digital stills. My thought was to monetize the one trip through the property with the Pro2 on ALL shoots (leaving my Sony A7 in the car). Then, if they only want stills, fine, but once I have the data, I can perhaps watermark the 3D tour, as well as the floorplan, or otherwise just give them a "taste" by showing them the work in an attempt to upsell them. They can either opt to add it to the invoice, or ask their seller/client if they wish to purchase it themselves. Either way, if I have to pay Matterport a static, monthly fee, which includes processing, I may as well try and get more out of it.

If you have kids in K-12, this sort of ploy plays itself out when you have school pics done. They sell you the small package, but then upsell you the larger package, because they've already done the work, so when you are standing in line to pick-up and pay, it is amazing how many parents will just take the larger package.

Concerning 2D floorplans, I find it curious that agents wouldn't need a 2D floorplan, because as a Realtor myself, I can assure you that if you ask the buyers, especially women, if they prefer seeing the layout via a floorplan, nearly 100% of them will say yes, because stills by themselves just don't provide flow and layout.

Under the above circumstances, I was thinking $130 for the stills (including $40 for the trip charge), $45 for the 2D floorplan and, if they want to add the MP Tour, another $150 (which includes 4 months worth of hosting at $5.00/mo). So, if they opt for all, their bill becomes $325.

Would love constructive feedback on the above. Thanks in advance.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
The Verticals are good. But the Framing of the room doesn't represent my style.

Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
osakadave private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, it is always though the lens is pointing downward, again, unusable for me for the most part. On the other hand, I enjoy going through a tour and getting my own photos believe it or not.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@VTLV @osakadave

Good info! I have yet to upload my first property scans, so need some clarification on stills that come from the data:

I presume I can improve the appeal of the stills by making sure I place the Pro2 in positions in each room, which will yield pics as if I was using my DSLR, correct, or am I just wishful thinking?

Does Matterport make the decisions about the viewable area of the stills when they process, or can I handle this myself once the data is processed in their Workshop backend?
Post 16 IP   flag post
BrokerBruce private msg quote post Address this user
I think you are on the right track with positioning to make sure that position will yield usable pics. You'll find doing so you'll probably have more scans than necessary but you will have more choices in doing the highlight reel snaps.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@bryanhscott That's a different approach and I would give it a try. Every market is different and until you try, you'll never if that's a good price point or incentive. If you do try it, let us know the results.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101715 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?