Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DaytimeInsta360 Pro 2Ricoh Theta VScanning

3D scan during daylight (-maybe- dumb question) - Insta360 ONE X or Ricoh V9395

ELAN42 private msg quote post Address this user
Straight to the point,
is it possible with Insta360 ONE X or Ricoh Theta V to 3D scan with Matterport Capture during in daylight ?

Biggest problem we're having now with Pro2, is that we have problem with outdoor spaces.

Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
DeeJ private msg quote post Address this user
You can scan in the sunlight with either spherical camera. Please remember that the 3D data is created using Matterport's AI software. You can also create a 360 View with your Matterport camera and convert that to a 3D scan.
Post 2 IP   flag post
.................... I didn't know that .........................

I have to make a lot of testing about this.
When this feature was published ?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@DeeJ correct me if I am wrong, the AI was developed for indoors mainly, it will work outside, but it may not be accurate. I have used my Matterport to capture 360 outside and convert them to work with the AI. I use it mainly to fill in spots that were black in the model, and have found good success.
Post 4 IP   flag post
So,
it actually don't contribute to the 3D model,
but only fill black holes like pools and light reflexes / stains ?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@leonherbert You are correct. The AI software was trained mainly on interior scans. Converting exterior scans is not as reliable!

Once use for the conversion is to fill in holes in the interior of a building where there is a lot of sun, but you can also use it outdoors.

This new feature was introduced in late January, 2019 when we announced support for the spherical cameras.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I am making a test ...
... lucky me I did 360 photos where I could not make 3D scans ...

But I don't think this will save my day.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
No it will fill in the model, I do not know what will happen with a pool I have not tried that yet.

The best thing to do is to experiment, you don't have to upload you can just check that it is been filled in on the model.

You can try a test upload, one or two scans.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I've seen pools filled in with beautiful blueness!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ
I've seen pools filled in with beautiful blueness!

If you make the owner empty them and scan inside ...

Am I wrong? Because I had this problem here:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=8VqYScACbkk
Post 10 IP   flag post
I added the 360 in the project... they was useless in the goal of improving the 3D dollhouse.

So I ask again ... other than the Leica BLK (very expensive), are there other ways to 3D scan during the day ?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
When you say you added the 360 into the project did you place the 360 on the map and then convert it to a 3D scan. Without knowing what you actually did it is hard to know if it truly failed.

You could return at dawn or dusk and add those points to the scan and it will work then. If you can't do that, then you are out of luck.

Short answer is there is no other camera that will do what the BLK does at this time that works with Matterport.

Have you looked into renting a BLK?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert
When you say you added the 360 into the project did you place the 360 on the map and then convert it to a 3D scan. Without knowing what you actually did it is hard to know if it truly failed.

No I only placed the 360 scan into the map ...
... thanks to you I discovered I'm using Matterport Capture 2.5 (feature you describe seems included only in Capture 3.0):
https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016184514-FAQ-Matterport-Capture-3-0-Public-Beta

Do you think this is stable enough to complete an already-started project ?

This is the project, because it's 70% outdoors and public, I have only 2 hours to work on it at dawn.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=5C4r9CKS7qR&help=1&hl=0&qs=1&ts=0&brand=1&play=1&utm_source=4
Post 13 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@ELAN42 I use the capture 3 for my work, I just recently got a new iPad. I have not had any problems. I believe you can only have one version on your iPad.

Maybe @DeeJ can step in here. I presume you would not lose the model you have on your iPad if you update to the newest version of capture.

If you shoot before the sun comes up, twilight you may not even have to use the AI from 360's.
What I do is I scan normally and see if it aligns and if the usual area is filled in on the ipad. I do not move the tripod until I know it was successful. If it looks bad I would then scan a 360 and place the 360 on the spot you shot the previous scan, a guestimate should work as the AI aligns it to the model, and will move the scan to the correct location. You may need to move the tripod closer to the last correct scan to get it to work.

PS. I would look into getting iMazing to backup your iPad, iPhone so if something catastrophic occurs you can recover your models.

Hope that helps.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I fear the statement: We encourage you to try it, but please do not rely on it for important client work.

I will not update now, BUT I will do 360 scans knowing that -someday- it will be stable, and I will be able to use them to improve the same project.

Thank you so much ...
... when I'll have the money I'll buy a BLK.

No rental here in Italy, ATM.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101428 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?