Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Question of the DayScanning

Question of the Day: How many Matterport scans per furnished home, and ..."9179

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Matterport Capture App Screen Grab of a Matterport scan of a furnished home

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Wednesday, 24 April 2019:

On average, how many Matterport scans per furnished home do you do, and why does this info matter to you?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
For me it varies by project. For instance today I did a project and there are 57 outdoor scans and about 120 indoor scans. It is a shame that Matterport now penalizes us for doing bigger scans(not being able to use prepaid scan allotment). However for me it is about producing the best product for my clients.
Post 2 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
To answer this question, I think it really depends on a number of factors.

1) What segment of the market you are trying to capture? Are you looking to work with the luxury home market, the bread & butter homes, or are you looking to serve the low end market?

2) How good is good enough? If you can scan 1000 sqft with 10 scans and provide an experience that is easy to navigate and does not leave any holes in the Dollhouse view, does it make sense to take 20, 30, or even 40 scans to cover the same area? Do extra scans really enhance the final experience for the user? Are they going to notice the difference? At some point you reach the point of diminishing returns. It is up to each individual MSP to determine where that is.

3) How much time do you have? What is your time worth? What is your clients/homeowners time worth? Again, there has to be a balance where cost, quality and convenience intersect. This largely depends on the efficiency of the operator, the type of home and time available to scan a space.

All that being said, for me, I chose to service the Bread & Butter market segment. On average, I can minimally stage, scan and photograph a 2500 sqft home in 1.5 hours. At the end of the session, I will have completed roughly 40 scans (both interior and exterior) and taken 35 - 40 images.

If I were scanning with the purpose of generating a data rich 3D model, I would take about 100 scans.

Cheers!
JonJ
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed explanation and insight. This is great guidance for both those that are new and even seasoned Pros.

Sounds like you log the details of all your Matterport projects including start/end time and number of scans.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
101432 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?