Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DroneDrone Pilot Ground SchoolTrainingWGAN Forum Membership Benefit of the Week

5 Tips For Beginner Drone Pilots9062

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

I received an email from Drone Pilot Ground School with these 5 tips for beginner drone pilots:

1. Flying drones is a more expensive profession than you think.
2. Flying drones takes more time to train than you think.
3. Flying drones is addictive.
4. Flying drones attracts a lot of attention from the public.
5. Start small, build confidence, then upgrade.

If you are a drone pilot, what tip would you share with a WGAN Forum Member just thinking about getting started with drones?

Best,

Dan

P.S. If you would like a promo code for $50 off Drone Pilot Ground School - online FAA Part 107 test Prep Course – please Private Message me. Here's the curriculum.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
Avoid poles, they are not forgiving

Consider outsourcing, develop a relationship with a drone company. You avoid 1,2 and 5, of course you miss out on 3.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CFster private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been offering real estate drone photography for a couple years now, alongside my normal real estate photography services. My Phantom 4 Pro has been rock solid and more than sufficient. I bought a spare battery and a set of quieter props and that’s it.

As a Part 107 pilot, the public can be as interested as they want, but that’s all they can do, as long as I’m following the rules.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@CFster

Any negative public encounters?

The letter I received, included “Not too many negative encounters. Mostly curious and inspired folks wanting to learn more.”

“Just know that when you're flying, people are going to come up to you. Be prepared to educate, because the questions will come!”

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I would start with a less expensive beginner drone, like the Yuneec Breeze (around $150 at Walmart), to get started. Once you master this, move up to a Mavic 2 pro or Phantom 4 pro. You don't want your first lesson (read crash) to cost you $1500.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Not yet. A lot of hairy eyeballs and slow drivebys but no confrontations.

I had one client who couldn’t believe I could fly near an airport, as their house was basically off the end of the runway, but it was in uncontrolled Class G airspace (below Class E) where a drone pilot is expected to employ right of way rules. They simply could not believe I could fly there.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @JonJ
I would start with a less expensive beginner drone, like the Yuneec Breeze (around $150 at Walmart), to get started. Once you master this, move up to a Mavic 2 pro or Phantom 4 pro. You don't want your first lesson (read crash) to cost you $1500.

Point taken!

Here under $200 Drones compiled by Drone Pilot Ground School. (I added the Yuneec Breeze from Walmart, at your recommendation.)

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
They really aren’t hard to fly. Take your new drone to a soccer field and you’ll get the hang of it in fifteen minutes. Most of the more popular ones have collision avoidance and will fly themselves back to you if you lose signal or go out of range. DJI’s come with GeoZones in the app which will help you (the amateur anyway) stay out of places you’re not supposed to fly (which is a lot).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Briski2208 private msg quote post Address this user
Use a reliable app for checking the weather, Buy a anemometer!! Be aware that the wind speed at an altitude of 400ft is not the same at sea level. You will say bye bye to the off the shelf consumer drone.
Do your homework use Google earth, maps etc & always conduct Pre/ post flight checks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The most important tip is (if you’re in the U.S.) to get your FAA Part 107 license if you intend on making any money whatsoever from flying. Really, if anyone makes money from it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101432 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?