Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DJI Mavic Pro 2DroneDroneDeployGeoCVVersusWGAN 360 Camera Loaner Program

Aerial 3D Models with Drone Deploy for GeoCV8984

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user

I have been working with Landon Homes, a local builder in North Texas, for almost a decade in providing them with photography and 3D Tours.

They are extremely excited to see how their model homes look with an aerial 3D Model as a part of their 3D Tour. I am too! I've scanned this home with the GeoCV System, which I received from the WGAN Loaner Program, and have captured the aerial 3D Model using Drone Deploy.

Using Drone Deploy and a DJI Mavic Pro 2, I captured the model at 120ft. I then captured additional imagery with the camera facing downward descending from 120ft to about 60ft. I finished by capturing imagery around the sides from a manual flight with the camera angled downward so as to avoid the sky for better photogrammetry results.

By using Drone Deploy, I created a strong image set that is currently being reviewed by GeoCV. In addition, Drone Deploy's 15-day trial will allow you to render your own 3D Model and export an OBJ file.

One challenge that I did face was accurately trimming the area that I wanted to generate my 3D model from. As this is a new development, Google's satellite imagery did not show the house itself and I needed to carefully use imperfections in the ground as well as vehicles that happened to be parked there at the time of Google's last imagery refresh. It took 4 uploads, but I think I nailed it!

See the Drone Deploy Project
Post 1 IP   flag post
Huntington, NY
vtg360 private msg quote post Address this user
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Great scan! 👍👍👍 Thanks for sharing these insights.

Is it possible - in theory - that we add an 3D exterior view to the highlight reel in MPEmbed? Maybe with pointscene?
Post 3 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
wow, very impressive,
Post 4 IP   flag post
ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
Great!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

Very cool. Thank you for the level of detail. Please do keep us posted on your progress / GeoCV progress.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@MeshImages

It's entirely possible that I might integrate support for 3rd party obj files into MPEmbed viewable via the highlight reel or an aerial button in the UI.

https://mpembed.com/show/obj3/?model=landon-opt

The challenge for me is mapping the Matterport Space to the 3D. In fact, the challenge is that I'm a terrible 3D programmer. The amount of time it took me to make this player is laughable Even at my very best, I think that users will find than the best solution is a platform that actually integrates the drone 3D model, not overlays it
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 Wow, this looks super nice!

You have all the talent and the abilities to grow your company. Maybe you should think about raising some investment capital and hire 1 or 2 coders and a UI designer to support you. I am fan of your work and I plan to grow my business with MPEmbed, Matterport and maybe also with GeoCV 👍👍👍
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Here are the final models!

GeoCV HQ + Aerial vs Matterport Model #2

What do you guys think?

Personally I think that GeoCV wins hands down for color and brightness as well as the killer feature -- the aerial view!

There's a spot in the bathroom that I need to download and edit the panos for to remove the camera With Matterport, I adjusted my height and I believe I used staging to block the camera on the mirror. No need with GeoCV.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Istanbul, Turkey
alirizacil private msg quote post Address this user
I agree that GeoCV has better quality. However i wonder if GeoCV will ad hotspots lilke mattertags.
Anyone knows that is this is planned with GeoCV?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Huntington, NY
vtg360 private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 this looks awesome! Thank you for sharing your work and letting us see the differences. For GeoCV were you able to add the exported file from DroneDeploy or did you have to follow their process to add the Aerial 3D map?

Maz
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 wow, both are very professional scans and both have great quality!

I also prefer the look of GeoCV. Especially the windows are much clearer. And the aerial view... Wow!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirizacil
I agree that GeoCV has better quality. However i wonder if GeoCV will ad hotspots lilke mattertags.

I am glad you asked!

Here are two more A/B test comparisons that are filled with Mattertags and 'Pins':

What do you think? I edited two of the panos in the GeoCV tour - one had my shadow against a gray door, one had the camera in a mirror. You'd never know!

I asked my client and they said: "I like the GeoCV one."

Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
Post 14 IP   flag post
Istanbul, Turkey
alirizacil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
Quote:

I am glad you asked!

Here are two more A/B test comparisons that are filled with Mattertags and 'Pins':

What do you think? I edited two of the panos in the GeoCV tour - one had my shadow against a gray door, one had the camera in a mirror. You'd never know!

Thanks Chris.Seems nice to me. How about adding media and weblink option?
Does Geo CV works under sunlight? Can you scan garden with GeoCV?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Like Matterport, GeoCV is using an infrared depth sensor that does not work in sunlight. The newer Intel sensors do and the blk360 does too as it uses a prism to focus the light.

Matterport has cortex which is becoming increasingly capable of scanning outside via 360 conversions or using a supported cortex device.
Post 16 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
AntonYakubenko private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It's already available You can see some pins (annotations) in @Metroplex360 example. Here is another one:

You can add text, images, videos, links, but more importantly you can add CUSTOM HTML CODE IN ANNOTATIONS! It not only allows our customers to customize pins with their own styles, but also to create very unique experiences such as:
- immersive virtual shopping
- remote training
- documentation for maintenance
- real-time IoT sensors data visualization
- reserving a particular table in the restaurant
and many more.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
The custom HTML code is great. With Mattertags, you are limited to the vendors provided by Embed.ly. While Embed.ly does have an exhaustive list of providers, few actually solve the problems listed by Anton above. Pins are great!
Post 18 IP   flag post
101587 18 18