Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
cdpmedia private msg quote post Address this user
A high end construction company is interested in using scans for open wall documentation. I explained to them the proprietary nature of the models and that to be viewable they need to be hosted and to be hosted, Matterport needs to exist. The hypothetical question asked of me was "we want to look in the walls in 15 years time, how will we be able to?"
Well, obviously I could answer maybe you can maybe you cant. But wondered if anyone has a better answer.
My experience with the OBJ files is that they are not clear enough to be useful for that.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@cdpmedia

Would a SketchUp or Point Cloud file work for them?

Please see We Get Around Matterport 3rd Party Solutions Directory for these and other solutions that may be helpful.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
davidpylyp private msg quote post Address this user
You could have a wiring fly thru with a video capture

IE castasia or ScreenCast
This would permit you to render the SCAN as a video.
They receive it and it is flat ( users view only )
They will have no "adjust this angle or go for a close up here options.

I think its a wonderful idea for showing the wiring in a wall between studs and framing prior to drywall or Plumbing connections and fittings.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a pre-dry wall example ...

Dan

Post 4 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
Are they more interested in the looks or the measurements? If it's measurements then the OB file should do.
Post 5 IP   flag post
cdpmedia private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,
This is really more for visually clear looks at cavities and wiring and other concealed mechanical stuff so they need a clear view.
It seems from the responses that all I can tell the client is 'who knows if you will be able look at the file in 15 year' which is the same as saying sorry, I dont want your business.
Post 6 IP   flag post
davidpylyp private msg quote post Address this user
Can you [explain] provide a link to the construction video please?

Can you imagine each bank asking for a Matterport Tour for each stage of construction for permits and compliance?
Post 7 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
If you were able to provide them with the photos used to construct each of the scan points mapped onto a floor plan view of the construction site, would that be a sufficient solution for long term archiving?
Post 8 IP   flag post
josephthomp private msg quote post Address this user
I have done projects like this pre-Matterport and still do occasionally. We use 360 images that are linked to a blueprint of the building. Essentially you have a blue print and you click on the location where you want to see then you are in that 360 of the particular location.

There is no smooth walk through effect like Matterport but the photo quality is much higher and we are able to give a permanent record of all the files and the entire system that can be viewed offline. This is the only solution I have for construction because of what is noted above.

Because of the privacy and fact that Matterport scans live entirely on the Matterport system I haven't done any big construction jobs with Matterport but it would be nice to.

@cdpmedia If you have any questions on it or want to see a sample (I'll have to send you log on credentials) let me know.
Post 9 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
Convert showcase to point clouds file. It's more accurate and detailed than obj. They can open it with free autodesk recap and shoot measures and other things. I made a few tests and architects loves it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101436 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?