Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceTips

Brain Teaser #4 - Straight Versus Crooked834

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
All,

In the SAME model - and in the same place – name at least one reason that I have scans that align all in a row; AND, scans that are NOT aligned all in a row?

Hint: I typically do this for $1+ million listings and any models that have an ongoing shelf life such as Matterport 3D Showcases for a luxury boutique hotel.

Atlanta-based We Get Around Architect and Associate Photographer - and MUG Forum Member - @YairYepez is not eligible to answer this brain teaser because it taught me this trick.

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
So you can do the "serpentine" thing from the movie Ishtar. Or not depending on circumstances.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
In Workshop, you will disable the scans that are not in a row because you just use them to create a wonderful dollhouse model?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HarlanHambright I don't recall the "serpentine" thing...
@Tosolini While it might help create a wonderful dollhouse model, it's something else ...
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikeE private msg quote post Address this user
Are the shots that are not aligned chosen because of their potential for good snapshots. Maybe better for room perspective?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Nodal Ninja
Founder
Bill private msg quote post Address this user
I will purposely offset duplicate scan areas in cases where I want door open and closed. First set leading up to door closed and second set leading up to door open. Later I delete selective scans so in the virtual walkthrough door is closed until just a few feet away then door appears open to let viewer inside.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mikeE Great thinking: correct answer thought not what I was looking for. It would be even better if Matterport enabled us to create snapshots that we also want to disable (such as from a corner of a room.

@Bill Great thinking and deserving of its only Forum thread (How to Open and Close Doors Successfully), correct answer though not what I was looking for.

Our team shoots 3D Showcases with eventual VR conversion in mind.

On a tablet, desktop and laptop, you want to walk in a straight line, BUT in VR, if you shoot in a straight line, you can not skip scans in between (because you can not see them when aligned). So, capturing a bit of a zig-zag enables you to see scans 2,3 and 4, for example rather than only scan 2.

Clear as mud?

Got a Brain Teaser? (That you know the answer please please create a new thread post.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
GREAT TIP!

Very interesting. I'm hoping to get on the VR tests soon.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
For clarification:

1. when creating the 3D Showcase, deactivate the crooked scans
2. when creating the VR Showcase, deactivate the straight line scans

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks for the tip. I plan to do my first VR scan next month.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

For your first VR scan next month ...

We Get Around blog posts:

Matterport Photographers: 4 Rules for Preparing Models for Virtual Reality (VR)

Matterport Photographers: How to Optimize Your 3D Tours for Gear VR

Matterport Photographers: Gear VR + Note 4 – 16 Step Check List

Plus, our shopping list of Matterport Gear and Accessories includes VR gear (to make sure it is compatible with Matterport VR Showcase Beta)

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

In your check list you mention:

"If you engage Matterport to create a VR Showcase Beta for your device, it only works on your device. Not every Note 4. (I expect that by year-end, Matterport will make it easy, fast and simple to order a VR Showcase that will play on many VR solutions.)"

Is this still the case? I am using the S6 and just ASSUMED any VR Showcase I create would be viewable on any other S6 if I send a file/link/etc.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

Our shopping list includes which versions of the Samsung Galaxy S6 are supported for Matterport VR Showcase Beta.

Do not assume any Galaxy S6 will work for the Beta. Before ordering a Matterport VR Showcase Beta, I encourage you to check the official Matterport Virtual Reality Showcase Beta webpage and email Matterport VR team, if you have device questions.

While Matterport VR Showcase is still in beta, the VR Showcase Beta's you order will only work on your specific smartphone (you actually let then know your device ID number).

While Samsung has announced that Samsung Gear VR consumer edition ($99) will be available in November 2015, as far as I know, Matterport has not announced a date that it will exit it's beta program.

I could imagine that Matterport would want its VR solution to be available concurrent with the release of Samsung Gear VR in November so that Matterport VR Showcase models will be viewable on any Samsung Gear VR.

Clear as mud?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
does the phone have to have an active cellular account or could you just use it over the wifi network? I don't need another phone but I do want to try this out...

Best Buy is selling the

Samsung - Gear VR Innovator Edition for Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge Cell Phones - White

for $99 that is about half price
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mikeE

For clarification, Samsung is releasing its third generation of Gear VR in November that will sell for $99.

Gear VR powered by Oculus Innovation Edition is the second generation of this device.

For any member that can wait until November for the third generation, I would encourage you to WAIT.

The third-generation will work with all 2015 Samsung smartphones.

Best,

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
Cool. Thanks for the clarification
Post 16 IP   flag post
101436 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?