Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Business DevelopmentMarketingPricingQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: How do you handle a slow (or no) pay client?8130

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Tuesday, 30 October 2018) is:

How do you handle a slow (or no) pay client?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Use Freshbooks or a similar billing system that sends bill reminders at fixed intervals until the bill is paid.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
I only accept credit card payment. No one in the biz doesn't have a credit/debit card. I used to not worry about getting paid if their card got declined but I got tired of having to chase some people to get new credit card details or wait for them to payoff their balance.

Its not that they didn't intend to pay, but its like "Oh, Ive been so busy, I will get to it, sorry". I always had 1 or 2 clients that I would have to follow up with, sometimes for weeks. It was a pain. The final straw for me? I had one that owed me for 4 tours ($1000) then she stopped opening my emails and moved to another office and area (30 miles away). Ah, so the one actually didn't intend to pay. She should have read my agreement in more detail. A lean on all 4 homes should do it. I never thought I would ever have to use that clause but Im so glad I put it in there.

I got paid within 3 days of sending copies of the lean to the agent and her new broker. Yes folks, you can lean the property as you did a service on that property. And yes, as an agent who is representing the owner and gave you permission to do the work, it's legal. The owner never found out as thats the exact reason why I got paid so fast. The agent would have surely lost all 4 listings if the owners found out about the lean on their property.

So I changed policy, photos wont be sent until payment is received. Wow, what a difference. Their card declined, no problem, they update their info the moment we tell them that their card wouldn't process payment.
Exceptions? Of course, our busiest of clients (the ones that do 4 or 5 per month) we dont hold back their photos. But then they are the smartest agents and always update their details within a couple of days anyway.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@hometakes

Wow! Who knew!

Your lien tip inspired today's WGAN Forum Question of the Day:

Question of the Day>Do your T&C include a lien on the house if not payment?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Usually gentle prodding does the trick. Had one obstinate agent who didn't see the light until he got served paperwork from the county sheriff for his appearance in small claims court. Had a check for the job + notice of service within a week.

Pleasant persistence is the key....

Keith
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@hometakes

Oh, and Colin - great idea. I used that approach often in the construction industry, and it never failed to be effective. I would caution that lien law varies widely from state to state, but used wisely it can be very persuasive. Small claims court is also an effective tool, as the filing fees are generally low. You will have to take a day out of your schedule, but often it's the point of it that matters the most.

Would local Realtor Associations be of any assistance in this regard? I made an ethics claim against an area agent (not about non-payment), and I was pleasantly surprised how quickly my complaint was acted on, more or less to my satisfaction. I'm sure they won't want to be a de facto collections agency, but as in Colin's example, if an agent knowingly doesn't pay for work rendered, it becomes a real ethics issue.

KF
Post 6 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@ID360media I knew that once they received a copy of the lien that I would get paid. Prior to me doing this, I did let them know that I intended to lien the properties if I didn't hear back from them and that they would owe me $50 for each lien I would have to file (this included my travel expenses). They must have thought I was bluffing as I didn't hear back. So to get my money super quick, I let them know that I would be sending a copy of the liens along with an explanation of why it was done to their local Realtors association as I would then be filing a complaint if I didn't get a cashiers check within 7 days.

I got the cashiers check for $1200 3 days later. It was waiting for me at the front desk of their brokerage firm.
The funniest thing about all of this is that I found out that a new customer that had been using me for 6 months partnered up with her and asked her to be put on my tour template. No problem, I had been paid plus the account wasn't in her name anyway. 3 Years go by of them using me but for the last year they became such a pain that they started to nickel and dime. One would order 2 extra photos and the other would deny that they wanted them. It lead me to sending them a 'Dear John' letter. No longer have to deal with them. This leads me to my next post.

look for: What do you say when you "Dear John" someone?
Post 7 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
@hometakes would you mind sharing your contract?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
Sure. I’m on my phone right now but as soon as I’m in front of my computer I will inbox it to you.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@3Sixtynow. Check your inbox. :-)
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Hometakes

Hey Colin -

Could you send me a copy of that as well??

Thanks,

Keith
Post 11 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@Chemistrydoc Check your inbox. :-)
Post 12 IP   flag post
101436 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?