Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 674 Unique Visitors
9,056 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,711 Page Views | 19,043 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
WebsitesWP3D Models

Website Page Load times, MP Embedded7907

Standard
Sarasota, Florida
BlueImmersiveMedia private msg quote post Address this user
Morning All -

I have a potential clients website developer asking about webpage load times. I sent a test embed code from another project that was directly from MP portal. She reports that its 5 secs and wants better time.

I reviewed some of the forum posts. They all look a bit dated. Any new updates on how to improve page load time with MP embedded. I did see a WP3D option suggested. Is that the way to go?

Any new insights/suggestions. Whats the new best practice?

Thanks in advance. M
Post 1 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @BlueImmersiveMedia -

One thing to note about Matterport content is that it is just, frankly, heavy content. There's a ton of data & images needed to create something this engaging and there really no way around it.

From a web development perspective (using the stock Matterport embed) the best practice would be to optimize everything else on the page (to keep load speeds as fast as possible)and then try to always limit any particular page to just ONE Matterport tour. I sometimes see "galleries" on MSP pages with 10+ Matterport tours all loading at the same time....ouch!

The other good news is that (using a tool like WP3D Models) you can load a full page with image preview of the tour, without actually calling any of the data from Matterport. It isn't until the user clicks on the "play" button that the Matterport tour loads (unless you've selected the WP3D Models "preload" option).

This means that your pages will load very fast...and that your client's web developers should be much happier to implement.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
@rpetersn thank you. I just set this up and sent it off. It worked great!
Post 3 IP   flag post
sbl110 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you to @rpetersn for giving me an idea to speed load times of my website gallery.

Previously I had 20 Matterport scans (using iFrame) all trying to load whenever anyone hit that particular page. It was painfully slow. Now instead of embedding the scan in the webpage, I took a snip-it of each scan and made the picture a click through to an external URL. The URL being the Matterport scan location. So when someone clicks on the picture of the sample they want to view, it opens the corresponding tour in a new page. The page loads almost instantly now.

Below is a link to my gallery page if you want to see what I'm talking about. Deceptively easy, and solves a problem that's been bugging me for some time.

https://www.nw3dphoto.com/gallery-page/

I know this isn't a new idea, but kind of makes me mad that I didn't figure it out sooner. So much to learn.

Scott
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@sbl110 If you are using Wordpress and do not want to use WP3D Models, the Matterport Shortcode for Wordpress that I wrote also works.

In fact, many people use it in tandem with WP3D Models. Both have a completely separate use-case!

I built a tool that simply allows Matterport tours to be embedded as a click-to-start thumbnail that opens them in an overlay. It's too slow otherwise.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/shortcode-gallery-for-matterport-showcase/

Same is true - if not worse - for GSV Tours. Embedding tons of GSV tours is sluggish.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-google-street-view-shortcode/

--

Again, both work great and serve a different purpose than WP3D Models. They work great together!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
@Metroplex360 @rpetersn Thanks for all the insight on this.

I didnt know about the shortcode for GSV or Matterport for WP. I will check it out. Cool.

I did heard back from the developer after sending the WP3D embed code. 1.5 secs, down from 5 secs load time. That works for them. Off to do their 8K SQFT Cycle Store this weekend.

Thanks for the help all!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
@BlueImmersiveMedia Great to hear! Cheers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101755 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?