Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360CUPIXInsta360 OneInsta360 ProRicoh Theta VVersus

Matterport Versus CUPIX Image Quality: Which 360º Camera for CUPIX?7905

Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@flexcopmusic This is one of my interests. I am an engineer and I like to experiment. I am into cars at the moment and you can see some of my work at MySuperCar
Six Images gives you more overlap between images. I use six images when there are moving objects (people, cars) in the image so that I can mask the object on the stitch line.

I have an NN3 MKIII which I use if I have to tilt up and down and an R20. It does everything I need. I do not have any experience with the R1, but it looks interesting. It looks essentially like an R20 with a tilt function. It looks like a good choice.

I shoot 4 Images around (normally bracketed 3 up to 7 brackets depending on the dynamic range)and let CUPIX automatically insert my logo in the nadir. Alternatively, I will shoot a step away handheld shot and stitch it in Viewpoint Correction in PTGUI Pro see Tutorial See his other tutorials as well.
Post 26 IP   flag post
marktgun private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a comparison of image quality for Matterport vs Panono using Cupix software. Your thoughts?

Matterport fire damage:

Panono fire damage:
https://players.panotech.net/p/6nwxD9w8
Post 27 IP   flag post
CFster private msg quote post Address this user
Of course the Panano IQ blows away MP. Curious though, I’m seeing stitching errors with it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
flexcopmusic private msg quote post Address this user
@marktgun Wow thats an amazing comparison! exactly what I was looking for.

The results look very comparable. What has your experience been with the Panono, usability and dynamics range? I've read a lot of negative things about the camera but the 16K is pretty enticing.

@DanSmigrod - This should be of interest to you as well.
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexcopmusic
@DanSmigrod - This should be of interest to you as well.

Thanks!

Here are some of my Panono 360º test images:
https://roundme.com/tour/65342/view/161044/

(I sold the camera on eBay after about 30 days. Lot's of stitching errors. Perhaps it is better now.

Best,

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post

Standard
Windsor, UK
There is no One Shot Camera without parallax (stitching) errors when the subject is closer than 1 meter. The lens needs to rotate around the nodal point and no One-shot camera is able to accomplish this. Matterport also has terrible stitching errors when shooting in close proximity (less than 1 meter)
Post 31 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Wow. That second shot scared the hell out of me until I realized it was a stitching error.

That inexcusible for a camera that expensive. I mean, it’s sole function is to put an image together from all those lenses.
Post 32 IP   flag post
If the goal is to capture fire damage evidence, resolution is paramount, stitching errors are of no concern.
Post 33 IP   flag post
If resolution is paramount, then use a DSLR.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Our company used a DSLR until 2016. Then we started using Panono because our clients require high resolution tours delivered within hours of our site inspection and that is not possible with a DSLR. Our use case also requires simple, fast, one-click functionality.

Below is another example of a tour using Cupix and Panono. No drone was required, this was shot in less than 20 minutes and all panos were linked in the tour automatically. Roof inspections such as this can be very lucrative for panoramic photographers.

Fire damage to roof: https://players.panotech.net/p/BeX9KPIC

Full disclosure - I am the owner of an insurance restoration company and the CEO of Panotech
Post 35 IP   flag post
Gotcha.

Question: How does one break into the inspection biz for insurance claims like these?
Post 36 IP   flag post
That is an excellent question. Historically the insurance industry has been extremely slow to adopt new technology. Threats to the status quo have been created by new digital technologies recently, however, and it appears that we are on the cusp of a transformation in the insurance industry that will be driven by panoramic photography. This will likely create many new opportunities for panoramic photographers and a couple of us in the WeGetAround network are working on concepts to penetrate this market. We hope to have those ideas sorted out enough to share them with everybody in the next couple of weeks.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@CFster - Are you aware of any downside to using something like the Sigma 8mm instead of the Rokinon 12mm? Because I believe I could probably get away with just 4 photos instead of the 6.... potentially.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@flexcopmusic

There would be a decrease in resolution. How much is acceptable is up to you.

Scroll down to where lenses are compared.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@CFster Thanks for this link! This is such a great forum community here.

Good work @DanSmigrod bringing everyone together
Post 40 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
@flexcopmusic One uses 8mm Fisheye on cropped sensors and 12mm fisheye on full frame sensors. I use a Canon 8-15mm set at 8mm for cropped and 12mm for a full-size sensor.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@marktgun

Very interesting. I look forward to seeing what you all are working on. I definitely have an interest in breaking into this field.
Post 42 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@leonvanzweel
@CFster

My DSLR + Fish-eye gear. (Note that I stopped shooting 360ºs with this workflow when I received my Matterport camera in July 2014.

Best,

Dan
Post 43 IP   flag post
@leonvanzweel Thanks Leon.

Lastly, is having the pano 100% level essential when doing 360 panos or is that something that the software fixes? I remember seeing that cupix automatically levels panoramas.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
@Flexcopmusic CUPIX will level your panos if there are sufficiently strong reference verticals & horizontals in your image, otherwise, CUPIX has a "Transform Pano" function where you can manually adjust your pano to get your verticals vertical and you can also select all other panos connected to that pano to follow suit. I normally level my camera for every pano unless the floor I am shooting is perfectly level.
Post 45 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
]@leonvanzweel Quote:
Originally Posted by leonvanzweel I use my Ricoh Theta for then connecting images in doorways and passages to reduce my post-production time.[/quote
- Genius, wondering why I didn't think of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Please do start a new discussion about local hosting of 360ºs. That's a great topic.

Being a 3D Vista user, I just had to pay for another year of hosting. Time to bite the bullet ask for some help on self hosting a tours and how too's from other members.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@leonvanzweel

I checked out your supercars site. Nice work.

I was looking at some of the 360s of the car interiors. Just by looking at the nadirs, it appears your tripod is placed on the seat cushion? Are you using an instant 360 camera for these shots, or if not, if you’re using a DSLR how are you shoe to keep it stable on this soft surface?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
@CFster Seat cushions by its nature are designed to be comfortable for the human butt and are an inherently unstable platform. It also have varying compression rates over the surface area. Harder at the back and softer at the front.

I am using my DSLR on a hybrid self-developed tripod platform that gives me the nodal point stability with an eccentric camera weight. It took me about a year to master the device and I am on prototype number 5 at the moment. Stability and nodal point positioning have a very narrow range of execution to provide sharp and stitchable images. Any instability at that close range create immense challenges in stitching and one can spend hours and hours trying to stitch an image that had an unstable base.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@CFster Hey mate, I've got the same setup as you now (different camera body). When you say roll the camera 33 degrees are you eye-balling it or is there a specific way to get it exactly 33 degrees?
Post 49 IP   flag post
@flexcopmusic

So, it’s 33 degrees from the portrait orientation. I just used my iPhone with one of the many available leveling apps initially, placed against the bottom of my camera. I quickly discovered that it matches up perfectly with one of the tick marks on the camera’s levelling display. All you’re trying to accomplish is to get the opposing (diagonal) corners of your 3:2 image in your viewfinder or screen to be lined up vertically.

The good part is you can just tighten the lens ring clamp and leave it that way. I just leave it on the lens so it’s always in the correct position whenever I mount the lens to the camera.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@CFster Once again great tips mate! appreciate that.

Will upload first panos here ASAP
Post 51 IP   flag post
101429 51 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?