Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DesmondGearGemTuneTripod Head

Re-Review of GemTune DY-60i leveling base7803

WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I purchased this leveling base in March and highly recemonded it for the ability to quickly level the Pro 2 camera. It worked great and it made scanning soo much eaiser, especially going up and down stairs. All that changed yesterday.

I had 3 model homes to scan that were close together but 1 1/2 hrs from my office. When I got to the first home I mounted the camera to the tripod and noticed that the leveling base wasn't locked down. I attempted to tighten it with the lever but it was as tight as I could get it already. The camera was still safely attached but I couldn't lock the leveling head making it impossible to scan. Then I grabbed a pair of pliers and attempted to tighten the lever a little more. It actually turned about a half turn and locked the camera fairly tight...enough to do the scan. When I got to the second house, I mounted the camera and the leveling base was loose again so I tried the pliers again and turned it about another half turn and it tightened it again just enough to do the scan. When I got to the third house I was praying the base would hold, but no such luck. After mounting the camera it was loose again, but this time when I went to tighten it the lever snapped off, ending the life of the base. I'd say I did about 40 scans with it...not good.

And to make it even worse, I completely forgot to bring any tools with me to remove it from the tripod and just mount the Pro2 directly to the tripod. Now I have to go back for the one house...1 1/2 hrs away.

Lesson learned.

I also noticed that this base is no longer availably from the manufacture. I wonder why.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
That is so disappointing to have such a critical fail. I would recommend a Desmond DLEVX-68 Leveler w Bubble Level for Tripod 3/8 Precision Tri-Wheel Leveling Base available from Amazon.

Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@Wonderdawg I tried that one but didn't really like 3 knobs you had to adjust to get it level. I ordered this one: clickable text and will let you know what I think of it after using it for a while...maybe more than 6 months this time.
Post 3 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Stop buying Chinese crap and buy American quality.

We proudly use RRS.

Leveling Base
Post 4 IP   flag post
MiB private msg quote post Address this user
Hi! So I've been using this 'version' of the Gemtune: and again works great so far.

I'm now considering this:

https://shop.nodalninja.com/ez-leveler-ii-with-qrc55-f3138-1/ though not sure how I will get on with this method of levelling.

@rzphotoman - With regard to the Neewer, which quick release are you paring it with?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@MiB I tried one like the EZ Leveler and found it frustrating and time consuming. I would stick with the MENGS.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101729 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?