Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Fast CaptureQuestion of the DayScanning

Question of the Day: Any reason not to use Matterport Fast Capture?7601

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: Matterport's Capture Firmware Update | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel

Hi All,

Today's Question of the Day is:

Any reason not to use Matterport Fast Capture?

I wonder because you have the option of using the feature or not.

Seems like if there were no issues, Matterport would simply default to fast capture and do away with the option to scan slower.

What am I missing?

Best,

Dan

P.S. WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Fast Capture
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

One artifact of the Fast Capture app is what I call the "black hole of death" that appears in the scan, seemingly at random. If you go back and take a look at the preview of the scan where that occurs, one sees a square / rectangle that appears much darker than the rest of the scan. Matterport support acknowledged this problem but did not offer a solution, other than to "turn off fast capture" (!) This would be one of few reasons I would turn off the fast capture app. The problem is that one does not notice this until the job is complete and uploaded. The example shown was very troubling, because it was in a position where I could not simply delete it.

KF
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc

Yikes! Why is Matterport Fast Capture out of beta?

That’s a troubling response from Matterport.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@DanSmigrod

Yes, it was very troubling. Their best advice was to go back and rescan the location! (one hour's drive from home, no less) They would not accept any liability or at least refund my processing fees for this scan.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc

Horrible.

Anyone else using Fast Capture - out of beta - that has experienced a problem such as @Chemistrydoc ...?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc

Does Matterport have a webpage for known issues?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@DanSmigrod

If they do, it was not pointed out to me by support.

KF
Post 7 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
I stopped using it because I noticed that the camera was making a gear skipping noise when it rotated. When I turned off fast capture, it stopped. I also noticed some banding artifacts in the scans.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
click360tours private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, I can testify to having nothing but drama!

We had a large Industrial complex that we scanned day and night for a week (Our First Ever Job) and we thought being newbies, it was user error.

We tried April Tags / Abstract Objects / Scanning Closer and nothing overcame endless overlap and alignment issues every second scan. Referred the case to Matterport and we were told to scan every unit out of 28 as individual models and Dee the legend will stitch together.

After several efforts, we finally noticed purely by accident that the fast scan had been activated during the firmware update 1/3 the way through the scan process, so we deactivated and instantly our problem was solved!!!.

Completed 479 scans from a total of 700+ to create this epic monster:https://click-360-tours.captur3d.io/view/workstores-wakerley/workstores-wakerley?m=zX7ZF9EhD9P&wh=1

Fast scan would be great, I certainly could never trust in future!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
We've produced hundreds of scans with Fast Capture and were one of the first teams to participate with a private, NDA beta. We went through the worst that Fast Capture had to offer in early days (When there was no option to disable!) We've seen a lot.

We have no issues at all between 4 cameras.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Metroplex360

Glad to hear that your experiences have been unproblematic. MP assured me that my experience was not due to the camera, but to a known issue with the app itself. If you haven't encountered what I showed above, do you have any idea what could cause it, and more importantly, how to avoid it? If one looks at the preview of the scan, one sees a very dark rectangle appearing roughly in the space that the "black hole of death" occupies in the final processed model. But, it would be completely impractical to review every scan on site to make sure this doesn't happen. Any advice?

KF
Post 12 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
Great topic Dan.

Anyone took the time to compare two MatterPak (Fast vs Standard capture) ?

As we focus on the Point Cloud and Mesh, such information would be highly valuable to us.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Standard
walkintour private msg quote post Address this user
We've been getting this weird anomaly on our Pro 1 cameras using the Fast scan feature and an iPad Pro. As you can see from the images shared, there is a weird box showing up in the previews for both the 3D Scan and 360 Views. Anyone else running into this issue?

We've also notice that we're getting a sensory error with the camera. Is it possible they are related?
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@walkintour

This is exactly the issue I was pointing out above. Often, during processing, you see the "black hole of death" that I showed above. Had I pulled up the scan preview, it would have showed exactly what you have provided.

I still don't know if Matterport has a fix for this. And, yes, I get the sensor error at least twice during a 50 scan job.

Cheers -

Keith
Post 15 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
The Pro-1 does have known issues with Fast Capture. I did think that these were fixed. I'm shocked they aren't.

I'm fwd'ing to the product team. Including the space url might be helpful.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=YHPZtLMYbDA&start=%7B%22camera_position%22:%7B%22x%22:5.1561,%22y%22:1.5019,%22z%22:2.2317%7D,%22camera_quaternion%22:%7B%22x%22:0.0025,%22y%22:-0.7937,%22z%22:0.0033,%22w%22:0.6083%7D,%22camera_mode%22:1,%22scan_id%22:%22ef13553a61594cc9bf1016f4fb867cf5%22%7D
Post 17 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Chemistrydoc -- Official response --

"This model was created in March using beta #5 firmware and capture 2.4.2, and processed before Matterport made the correction to the pipeline."

--

The bug in the pipeline was that on rare occasions, a frame was dropped resulting in incorrect HDR processing.

You can verify dates many different ways. One way to get a good sense of the date that the model was processed is to view the source code of the page and look in the filenames like the thumbnail --

https://cdn-1.matterport.com/apifs/models/YHPZtLMYbDA/images/eY9WapE6QVJ/03.26.2018_20.42.25.jpg?t=2-d35b98bf00f20d72cf43574f64ed5de271401ed6-1534992121-1&width=100&height=70&fit=crop&imgopt=1

^^ 3/26/18
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Metroplex

Thank you for the information. Although I don't have a problem with the date, beta version, etc. I wholeheartedly disagree that this is as rare as they paint it, as I've found these same defects since then on more than a few occasions. I do not have the luxury of time to go back and cite each and every one.

I entered into this discussion to raise an issue that I felt was not addressed adequately by MP. Based on my experience, I feel that MP minimizes the occurrence of this problem and their solution to it.

I KNOW that models in my work have had this defect since then, and I've heard from other MSPs who have noted it as well.

I'll leave this issue here and will not comment further - if I note it again, I will certainly cite this thread when speaking with technical support.

Thank you -

Keith
Post 19 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@ChemistryDoc Now that Fast Capture is out of beta, it's very important to the product team to ensure that this problem is no longer happening. If you do see this occur again, please post the URL or PM me.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I am confused (and concerned) ...

As of today (Thursday, 16 August 2018), has Matterport fixed the Fast Capture problems identified above with Matterport Pro1 Camera?

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
Standard
walkintour private msg quote post Address this user
Well for our model that had the anomaly, our technician deleted the errors off the model. He was using Capture ver 2.5.3 on an iPad Pro connected to a Pro 1 camera.

I doubt you can find the error, unless there is a log to retrieve from the file, but here's the link to the model.

Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@walkintour

Thanks for sharing ...

So, my impression is that the Matterport bug still exists for Matterport Fast Capture used with a Matterport Pro1 Camera (and if you lucky enough to be able to delete the affected scan from the model) – (duplicate model on iPad first) – that you may be able to successfully process, as you did.

Dan
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@DanSmigrod

Good synopsis - I am certain that I've seen this defect since the Beta was over. I really don't have the time to detect MP's problems for them - if I do see it again, I will certainly let them know and PM you and @Metroplex360
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Metroplex360 @DanSmigrod

At the risk of kicking this up again, here are two defective 360's shot on a job this last Saturday (18 August 2018) (Pro1, Fast Capture). It's the same defect that leads to the "black hole of death" described above.

and

Is this MP's not-so-subtle way of getting me to upgrade to a Pro2??

Keith
Post 25 IP   flag post
101429 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?