Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Blur ToolCUPIXVersus

Matterport Face Blurring (Beta) versus CUPIX Blurring: Which do you prefer?7588

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: How to edit panos(Color Adjustment, Blur) | Video courtesy of CUPIX YouTube Channel [For CUPIX interactive Blur feature, see 34 seconds into this video.]

Hi All,

Matterport Face Blurring (Beta) versus CUPIX Interactive Blurring: Which do you prefer?

That's the WGAN Forum Question of the Day.

As of today (6 August 2018), Matterport continues to beta test its Face Blurring feature since it announced this Public Beta feature in its 17 May 2018 Newsletter (and some WGAN Forum Members feedback that has not been heeded (yet):

Matterport Betas: 360Placement, Face Blurring, BLK360
Face Blur
Face Blur Test - Logo Blur - Camera Blur - Face Blur BETA

Using machine learning, Matterport seeks out faces and blurs them. That’s the promise, when it comes out of beta. According to the Matterport Newsletter, Face Blurring "automatically detect faces and blur them. This helps address privacy concerns when needed. This is not reversible, so you may want to experiment with a copy of a job before using for production work."

I could imagine that Matterport wanted to make it as easy, fast and seamless to do face blurring, BUT the vision for this strategy disappoints me for the following reasons:

1. Face Blurring – activated on a per model bases within the Matterport Capture app – is not reversable (This means duplicating a model and processing the model twice: with and without blurring; just in case you are not happy with the Face Blurring recents. While Matterport does not charge for processing the model twice, the duplicate model does count towards your Matterport billing plan.
2. Faces in Photos – If face blurring does not catch the faces in photos within the Matterport 3D Tour, too bad.
3. Other Things to Blur – Faces are not the only thing Pros want to blur (text, Camera)
4. One Size (Does Not) Fits All – You do not have control over the size of the blur area

CUPIX blurring (commercially available) gives you control over:

1. Which faces to blur (nor not to blur such as a face in a painting)
2. The size of the blur
3. Blur anything
4. Undo Blur
5. Blurring done within the equivalent of Matterport Workshop (you can see the change)
6. Reset All Blur (to non-blur)
7. Default setting: blur faces (optionally, you can undo your choices of Reset All

I prefer to have the control over blurring as CUPIX offers.

Matterport Face Blurring (Beta) versus CUPIX Interactive Blurring: Which do you prefer?

If you have used the Matterport Face Blurring (Beta) feature, what has been your experience?

Best,

Dan

---

Special Offer for WGAN Standard and Premium Members

FREE! First six months of CUPIX Small Plan + Studio Add On Pack (Publish to Google Street View), if you are a We Get Around Network Standard or Premium Member.

To receive this WGAN Standard and Premium Membership benefit, please see the We Get Around CUPIX Small Plan + Studio Add On Pack Offer Order Form in the Welcome Onboard Letter.

Not Yet a WGAN Standard Member? www.JoinStandard.com | Compare WGAN Membership Plans | Member Benefits

Best,

Dan

---

CUPIX Related Links

CUPIX website
CUPIX Account Sign Up
CUPIX YouTube Channel
✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: CUPIX | GSV | AEC
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bernardhhi private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

The Matterport blurring concept is a great idea but it really needs to be controlled in Matterport Workshop and give selective blurring options. I've not used the CUPIX service so cannot comment but it sounds like a better solution.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Bernardhhi

Yes. In Matterport Workshop: not in Matterport Capture App. Seems like if you asked any Matterport Service Provider about a wish list for face blurring, it would have been the CUPIX list of blurring features: not Matterport.

If I was Matterport product development, I would look at how CUPIX implemented this feature and do the same. I'm not sure even how collectively, we could make the CUPIX implementation better.

#scratchingmyhead

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

WGAN-TV Short Story #123-CUPIX Blurring Face Out Example

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardhhi

Dan,

The Matterport blurring concept is a great idea but it really needs to be controlled in Matterport Workshop and give selective blurring options. I've not used the CUPIX service so cannot comment but it sounds like a better solution.

Yes. Absolutely. Matterport should have implemented face blurring in Workshop: not in the Capture App (which gives you zero control).

CUPIX nailed it with faceblurring so that you have total control.

The WGAN-TV Short Story (above) is about CUPIX versus Matterport face blurring and color correction.

These two CUPIX features are available in CUPIX Studio Pack Add On.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A related WGAN Forum discussion:

How To Conceal Sensitive Data in Matterport Tour

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
101641 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?