Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360BoatsScanning

Would you scan a cruise ship with Matterport? Right solution?7525

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I received this email today (26 July 2918).

How would you respond?

Dan

—-

Good day Dan,

While surfing for more info on matterport, i came across your channel. Tks for all the info and really appreciate it.

I was planning to get matterport to scan a cruise ship. My question is, can this job be done with matterport. What do u suggest, its pros and cons.

As you know cruise ships are huge, will their cloud hold this entire data. Is there any restriction with scanning huge spaces.

I have never used matterport and it gonna be my first experience with it. On the other hand am a professional photographer too.

I thought of writing to you cos I see ur the only professional guys giving info on matterport.

Pls suugest, or is there any better camera to get the job done.

Appreciate your help in this matter.

Regards,

[redacted]
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I already have and have been to the Cruise Ship Converntion this year and will be featured at the 2019 show.

Here was my sample
Post 2 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Hell no! It would be a nightmare! Maybe parts of it but certainly not an entire ship multiple levels - imagine the misalignment's!

I would create a Bespoke custom tour with 360 panos taken on a DSLR. You could still do some MP scanning and add the links into Hotspots. You would have no restrictions if shooting on a DSLR (inside/outside)and the stress would be a whole lot less and quality in low light areas way better. You can do amazing things with Bespoke tours and bring in loads of different content using different technology - 360 Video in restaurants, on the deck in the middle of the pool with bar staff making cocktails on the side of the pool using a Insta 360 PRO.
Not to mention I can't imagine what cruise line would have the time to put everything on hold while you spent days and days shooting on an MP! This would certainly not be the first thing I would choose to shoot with a MP camera!

Good Luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DouglasMeyers

That's a lovely example - but only part of the ship - from that email they are talking about a whole ship that's what I'm talking about - 100's and 100's of rooms that all look alike it would be a very very difficult undertaking with scans throwing into the wrong location etc. Part of the ship - that's a different story - by all means that is achievable.
Post 4 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
True that... Would never do every room just do the hall way and the sample rooms.
But in any case it is going to be a fun and tough job.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DouglasMeyers

For sure I would trade it for a free cruise - It would nice to actually go on a ship and not have to work!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd do a combo of the Leica BLK 360 + Matterport Pro-2.
Post 7 IP   flag post
melbin private msg quote post Address this user
thank you all for ur advises, i just joined the forum and happy to get advises from you all.

Based on your suggestion, i too think its better to scan the cruise ship with certain areas.

Regards,
Melbin
Post 8 IP   flag post
Airborneworks private msg quote post Address this user
I agree the BLK-360 is a great option with the range and semi auto registration, while the matterport can get the HD imaging overlay, that would be a good gig scanning a fleet of cruise ships.

We are new to this group and a nationalLeica dealer. Leica just came out with the RTC-360 this scanner is a bit less then 4 times the BLK price point. Offers 2 Million scans a second has true auto registration with one button operation. We have a very large demo in CT on the 16th August, we will scan the UCONN football stadium with Aerial Geo-tag overlay, not cruise ship but it will be fun.

Regards
Marc
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?