Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DroneInspireMavicPhantom 4 Pro

Do you auto pilot your drones?6758

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I've had fun flying several drone missions in the past few months since getting my drone.

I have some questions and I'd rather ask here than jump into some drone forums. I have the Mavic btw.

#1) For video, is it normal to sometimes have a wave in the video?

#2) Do you guys do everything manually, or do you set flight paths and automate the capture?
DJI DS Pro App
Post 1 IP   flag post
eggardner private msg quote post Address this user
We have the Phantom 4 Pro and we do all our flight paths manually! I have my son do all the piloting, and all his years of gaming has come in really handy as he flies it with no fear.

Not sure what you mean by 'a wave' in the video though
Post 2 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Wave? - rolling shutter issues?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@TrustedPhotoDC - I'm really not sure -- it's a wave -- like when you have two separate frames on screen at the same time. Maybe I need to calibrate my gimbal? I am clueless here. I'd upload a video, but I have no time right now. Shouldn't even be on WGA right now
Post 4 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
A frame can be made up of 2 fields. What frame rate are you capturing at?
Post 5 IP   flag post
advancedhdr private msg quote post Address this user
Metroplex,

I been flying Dji for more than 5 years. ( inspire, p2,4pro, mavic pro )

The ONLY way I feel safe flying is “fully autonomous” with the awesome features in GO4 intelligent flight QUICK SHOT mode.
Eg; Helix, DRONIE, Rocket, Circle and WAYPOINTS.

Example, if you want to focus on the house and circle, it’s easy and very smooth and full proof.. if you want to fly into the front door, you would use DRONIE mode, fly backwards and them reverse in post.

Depending on the shoot after programming, I will *ALWAYS* have my thumb on the PAUSE button, before I press GO, and *ALWAYS* have the home point recorded. It’s a good idea to calibrate compas before every flight.

It’s nerve-racking trusting the drone and it’s sensors.. but heck, so is auto pilot mode on a commercial craft or autopilot on a Tesla!

IMHO it can react faster than human flight.

Examples:
Post 6 IP   flag post
chermle private msg quote post Address this user
If you are talking about mapping, you need autonomous flight. You preplan the flight and it flys the entire mission without input from the pilot. There's always the ability to intercede, but if all goes well once you press the start button, the software takes are of the rest. I'm not here to promote 3rd party software, but I have test flown one software company's mapping program and found it for the most part to function quite well. I haven't used it in 6 or 7 months so, I'm sure there's been updates.
Post 7 IP   flag post
chermle private msg quote post Address this user
Btw the P4p has a software switch to engage a mechanical shutter as oppose to an electronic shuuter. Using the mechanical shutter can help eliminate "jello"
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chermle
Btw the P4p has a software switch to engage a mechanical shutter as oppose to an electronic shuuter. Using the mechanical shutter can help eliminate "jello"

Is Jello the term for it? It's very apt!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
Jello is shaking or wobble of a video. Usually caused by a poor gimbal. I believe there are known issues with that platform and the Jello effect. You can get around that by taking some extra footage.

I do most of my shots manually. There are times I use autonomous flight because like @advancedhdr it makes some pretty smooth shots.

The biggest issue I have with the autopilot or autonomous flight is when I want to do low shots. It does not work with waypoints below 30ish feet. To get around this you can take off from a lower location (at the bottom of a hill) and then have the waypoints over the min level. When you do this you need to shut off vision positioning because it will see the ground and not let you set the waypoint.

There are a couple of other apps I use that let you set waypoints at a lower altitude. They are Autopilot for DJI Drone, Litchi, and map pilot.

Some other apps I use to plan are UAV forecast, Hover, Skyward, DJI preFlight Checklist, and plan it for photography.

And I'll put this video up as it may help your jello problem. It shows the jello effect so let us know if that is what you are talking about.

Side not going on with what @TrustedPhotoDC mentioned when shooting video you want to lock your shutter speed at 2 times your frame rate. You can go to shutter priority and have a set shutter speed. If you are shooting 30fps then the shutter should be 1/60th - if you are shooting at 24 fps then set the shutter should be at 1/50th.

Hope this helps a little.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CharetteImaging private msg quote post Address this user
I'll second what frstbubble mentioned about shutter speed.

Make sure it's double your frame rate. Shooting 4k/30? Frame rate should be 1/60.

Depending on how bright it is, you may need to use an ND filter to achieve the desired frame rate. I've also found that further doubling the shutter speed works in a pinch. So 1/120, 1/240, etc.
Post 11 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a recommended Drone-SDK for e.g. flight path generation available which could also take advantage of realtime image recognition during the capture process?

And has anyone already experimented with attaching a LIDAR device to a drone?
Post 12 IP   flag post
101421 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?