Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceScanningScansStairs

Matterport Staircases-Bottom Up or Top Down?673

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Do you find you get better results if you do Matterport scanning from the top of the stairs down, the bottom up or no difference?

I generally follow Matterport's recommendation to scan bottom floors first and work my way up. Though, that's not always practical based on where the sun is/going; or I may have the top floors free of people first and need to do the basement last.

While I have not noticed a difference in scanning success based on bottom up or top down, perhaps you have?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
RealEstateReadines private msg quote post Address this user
I think earlier this year it was more important to do bottom up for a successful scan. However, I feel with a lot of their recent updates they have made little things like this less of an issue today.
Post 2 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
I don't mess with it - I just do bottom up.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Newport Beach, California
MDuff private msg quote post Address this user
It wasn't an issue for me when I realized after I started I had to go down to a basement. It worked find.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SharpSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Bottom Up Works nicely. Either way, avoid doing multiple scans close to each other at the bottom or the top of staircase. It makes navigating difficult once the showcase is designed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
So if you have a ranch one story home with a finished basement - do you start with scan #1 in the basement and label the basement as "floor #1" in the Matterport capture app?? Then do you label the main level as "floor #2"?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
Fort Worth, TX
3dHouseScan private msg quote post Address this user
I've scanned about three properties from Top to Bottom and they all came out fine.
I encounter similar situations as Dan does where some people are occupying the downstairs so I had no choice but to start from the 2nd floor.
Post 7 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I have found that as long as your scans align it makes no differences.
Post 8 IP   flag post
davidpylyp private msg quote post Address this user
Had a problem aligning with this exact issue

House was a back split so those were fine at the landings and between flights but the gym over the garage was a 20 foot height difference.

Took the stairs 3 at a time and shot the staircase
https://my.matterport.com/models/7YaBYccfFCB
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
While I have not a problem capturing spaces bottom up or top down, I wonder if it is because I use a bubble level on every scan.

I also have very few scanning error messages, if at all: even on nearly 200 scan spaces.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I did a house yesterday that had a front stair and a back stair. I shot the grand stair up and got to the back and scanned it down. Both worked just fine. I make a scan at bottom then 1 up a few steps then switch to next floor for subsequent scans. On the down shoot I shot on 2nd level then got almost to bottom and switched to 1st floor where I had already made a stair axis scan. (I also upgraded to iPad Air 2 yesterday from iPad 4. Transfers are the same but alignment went from almost a minute to maybe 15 sec in most cases. And I shot a house today with 40 scans and did not get 1 non-alignment! I was very proud of myself.
Post 11 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Gary we have been going up or down stair cases and have had little issue. We like Dan use a level mounted on the camera to assure it being level on each scan.
Post 12 IP   flag post
gofastpro private msg quote post Address this user
I have several multi-floor spaces and I usually just start on the main level, scan down to lower levels and scan up to upper levels and have never had an issue. I also bubble level each shot. Narrow or steep staircases require a little more patience than nice flowing wide staircases.
Post 13 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
One other item I find very essential is small flash light or torch as it's know in the UK. This enables me to see my level at all times to make sure that every scan it totally level. This is even more important when your shooting up and down dark stairways or locations where the lighting is not that good.
Post 14 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Here's something I just did: I'm scanning a HUGE beach cottage with 2 separate second floors. After finishing the first one, I got halfway up the stairs to the second one. After a scan, without moving the camera, I switched to 2nd floor then scanned again figuring that might help the device figure out where it was. It posted the new scan in exactly the right spot relative to the initial series of 2nd floor scans. Maybe a waste of a scan but it seemed like an elegant solution to a problem that probably didn't exist. (I'm starting to like this gizmo.)
Post 15 IP   flag post
101432 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?