Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DesmondGearHeadLevel

Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler versus these ...6038

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level Plus Discal Clamp for Tripod 3/8 Precision Leveling Base

Hi All,

A Member of the We Get Around Network Forum asks me why I like the Desmond DVEL-! Leverer versus ...

Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level Plus Discal Clamp for Tripod 3/8 Precision Leveling Base
versus
Manfrotto 394 Low Profile Quick Release Adapter with 410PL Plate
versus
Manfrotto 438 3/8 Ball Camera Leveler - Replaces 3502

"I did some searching thru the forum as you suggested and made a decision. One thing I would like to know is how much do you use the leveling mechanism on the one you suggested? I'm willing to post to forum if that is helpful for group discussion. I'm thinking by in large you are level once you set the legs up (most of the time) or close enough."

Happy New Year,

Dan

P.S. We Get Around Buying Gear and Accessories via Amazon
(Disclosure: We are an Amazon affiliate. We receive a commission on your purchases.)

Screen Grab: Manfrotto 438 3/8 Ball Camera Leveler - Replaces 3502

Screen Grab: Manfrotto 394 Low Profile Quick Release Adapter with 410PL Plate
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought one of these and had trouble with keeping the Matterport stable .. I must not know what I'm doing... found it tricky to adjust too and prefer to just adjust my tripod legs. I am assuming I'm just dumb.
Post 2 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
I use a leveling head and geared head for my photography and Matterport

Oben LH-2510 Leveling Head

Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

all on Giottos Pro 9384 Legs
Post 3 IP   flag post
Standard
Portage, MI
Senojev private msg quote post Address this user
I use the Desmond Leveler on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and use it quite often to adjust the camera level. It's particularly useful on older and log homes where floor level varies significantly. Adjusting legs would be a pain in these situation. I have no issues with camera stability with the leveler.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
So those that commented...sounds like you don't like to have to mess with the tripod legs all the time? IE small adjustments are nice to do with the leveling mechanism of some sort even though matterport says not to use them.

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/206226748-Tripod-Quick-Release-Clamp-and-Cases
Do not use thread adapters, ball-joint heads, tripod handles levelers, or similar mounts. These can be unstable and cause the Matterport Camera to loosen and fall. In addition, tripod handles can appear in the image and look bad.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
@jasondavidpage or anyone that would know.

Do you think this tripod would work with Matterport? I mean would the handles be in the way?
https://www.manfrotto.us/xpro-geared-three-way-pan-tilt-tripod-head
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
I bought one of these and had trouble with keeping the Matterport stable .. I must not know what I'm doing... found it tricky to adjust too and prefer to just adjust my tripod legs. I am assuming I'm just dumb.

I say Tomato, you say Tomato

Ever since I started recommending this tripod head/level ...

Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level Plus Discal Clamp for Tripod 3/8 Precision Leveling Base

I have seen HUNDREDS of purchases of it via the We Get Around Network Gear and Accessories Amazon Store.

There are only been a couple of Members of the WGAN Forum that have reported challenges with it.

When I started with Matterport in July 2014, I use to adjust the legs of the tripod. It was very time consuming AND resulted in TWO tripod failures from constantly adjusting the tripod legs.

This head/level solved that problem for me.

If other Members of the Forum have bought this tripod head/level - and have had similar challenges that you describe - I welcome them to post here.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Matt19
@jasondavidpage or anyone that would know.

Do you think this tripod would work with Matterport? I mean would the handles be in the way?
https://www.manfrotto.us/xpro-geared-three-way-pan-tilt-tripod-head

Matt,

The link points to a tripod head. That head would likely show-up in the scans.

The first Matterport shoot that I did was with a head like that that I owned for my DSLR photography. I was trying to save a few bucks by not buying a quick release plate, etc. Big mistake. I was depressed to see the tripod head in every scan.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @jasondavidpage
I use a leveling head and geared head for my photography and Matterport

Oben LH-2510 Leveling Head

Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

all on Giottos Pro 9384 Legs

On the leveling head, do you attached a quick release plate when using the Matterport Camera?

On the head, do you see it in your scans?

On the tripod, can it shorten to go into a suite case on an airplane?

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
101438 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?