Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceCamera MountCarTips

Car Camera Mount Project with Image5985

Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
As many of you know I have been trying to figure out the easiest and best solution to photograph car interiors. I have been contracted bya local dealership that owns 7 locations to shoot 70 cars a week with 360 interior views.

Two big challenges was the right camera and the right mount. The mount has been nearly as hard as the camera to to come up with. So after trying 5 different tripods and two different suction cup mounts I begin to think there has to be a better way. I decided to go to Starbucks and get some coffee when I had the aha moment. Why not use the cup holder, I asked myself. After a little thinking I decided that filling my coffee cup from Starbucks with concrete and placing a hanger bolt in the center of it was the best option. I used the flat lid that the straw goes through to hold the the bolt center at the depth I needed while the concrete set. Below is the final product all ready for my ball head and matterport camera.

Moral of the story Startbucks coffee makes you smarter!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Great Idea, Starbucks latte. Better patent it before Dan get ahold of it.πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987

We Get Around Network Patent Number: #243i34545437456

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@htimsabbub23

This may be helpful to you for your car project ...

βœ“ Ricoh Theta Nadir Plate>Your Brand-No Tripod

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Buy a hand held scanner then add the 3D car to the dealers page...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
@DouglasMeyers you have examples of what you're suggesting?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't but I did see one somewhere and I am thinking of getting the structure 3D capture camera for my i pad. The car dealer I did a tour for did NOT like the inside 3D spin I did. I have seen a few samples of a car done with the hand held scanner. Carvana has commercials using this.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Ya, but the hand held scanner are not giving you usable data for what we do, if your looking for a 3d model with specific measurements it great. But end product is not that useable. Yes I have scanned interiors of cars and Dan has came up with what I think are great suggestions, any small footprint camera with great resolution is the key. Again just my opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DouglasMeyers

I have seen a presentation by Carvana. They do not use a hand scanner. At the time of the presentation, they were using a high-end scanning solution that took them forever to process. I could imagine that they have changed to a 1-click 360ΒΊ camera solution.

As @ron0987 says, any small footprint camera with great resolution is the key.

Best,

Dan

P.S. Related WGAN Forum discussion ...

βœ“ EVOX Images: 360ΒΊ Photo Spheres Inside Cars
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
Just wanted to update everyone that I was able to get into the dealership and do the first car demo purposes. They loved the results!! The cup holder design worked perfectly and I used a mini tripod set on the back seata. Here are the results.

Post 10 IP   flag post
You have a bad stitch on the consoul. But other than that ...nice
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
yea I saw the bad stitch, I have never tried to reupload but do you feel it would solve that?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@htimsabbub23 Looks good ingenious with the cup idea! It would be nice to see a rich media tag that opens with a video commercial of that vehicle.
Speaking of that does any one know the legalities for doing that?
As it is a dealer I would believe they would have use of videos?

I do not think a reupload would fix that stitch but reuploads are free so you could always try.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
@Helen Thanks for the kind words. I tried a reupload and it did not work. I think that the camera was a little to loose in the cup holder and it allowed for some play. I am going to take a couple starbucks sleeves next time with me to make sure it is tighter and has no play.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@htimsabbub23 Also a lot of times when things are to close it can cause stitching errors. I have run into that a few times while going through doorways in rooms and being to close to the door frame.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101631 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?