Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MuseumsProblems

Large venue alignment problems - please help5896

virtuallyreal private msg quote post Address this user
Hi folks,

Any help and advice gratefully appreciated!

Trying to scan this venue. As you can see from the captures, we've gone around the 'south' side of the venue, up the 'east' wall, along the 'north' wall.... we actually then completed the 'west' wall but could not get the capture app to align.

You can see from the pictures that the grey large squares on the floor are square, but are distorted in the capture app - the whole room kinda splits open.

How can we solve this? The guidance for large spaces suggests going around the perimeter which is what we've done. I'd hoped the space was irregular enough for the camera to maintain alignment but unfortunately not.

We've got one more shot at this tomorrow (if we're lucky!) so any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@virtuallyreal

While I have not tried this solution, seems like it is exactly what you need:

Matterport AprilTags for empty or repetitive

Please also check these WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Large

Hopefully, other Members of the WGAN Forum will have some ideas for you too.

Best,

Dan

P.S. Just heading into an appointment ...
Post 2 IP   flag post
E3Media private msg quote post Address this user
I had a very similar issue with a slightly larger venue, I ended up duplicating the model, then deleting scans until the model “looked right” then I added a chair to the scan to fill in the central section. I ended up having to move and reuse the chair a few times. The end result still didn’t align perfectly. The team at Matterport fixed the final alignment for me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
You should do some inside ones too. Scanning along the perimeter only might be a problem. And if you upload as is, it might even straighten itself out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
I'd suggest trying the AprilTags or scanning in rows from one end to the other instead of scanning along the perimeter. When you create a loop, all of your scans hinge on a single point and the scan almost always opens up like a zipper.
Post 5 IP   flag post
virtuallyreal private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions - all gratefully recieved.

This is our plan - @jasondavidpage similar to what you suggested but with a bit mixed in from other suggestions - we're going to add in some objects in the middle of each square to help the camera align.

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I got the same issues going around a large venue. Seems like every update either takes you 2 steps forward or 5 steps back.

This update, 5 steps back. Nothing aligns.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101423 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?