Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
iGuideMuseumsScanning

Large -- really large space5780

sbl110 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to bid on a job for a space that is pushing 90,000 sq. ft. I've seen posts where some users have hit the 45-50K mark, but, has anyone successfully scanned anything this big in one piece? I contacted Matterport and inquired about breaking the scan up and having them stitch it together after the fact. Their reply was, when you hit the 200 scan mark, make a copy of the model and add scans to the copy in 50 scan increments. Repeat as necessary. In closing they mention that they would attempt to stitch everything together, but it would be a last resort. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about that last part.

This is an auto dealership that has five brands under one roof with a service area that has 90 repair bays. The service area alone accounts for about 65,000 sq. ft. The marketing manager ultimately wants a dollhouse view of the entire complex. The individual dealer showrooms, cafe and lounge areas account for about 29,000 sq. ft. I suggested separating sales from service and linking the two with a Mattertag, but this person is standing firm. It's rumored that they are courting Ferrari and want to show that they have the capability to support their brand.

I know that I can delete unnecessary scans before processing, but I'm concerned about orphaned scans causing potential gaps. Pricing is another concern. Bid too high and price myself out of a pretty nice job, too low and I'm working for peanuts. Any suggestions, or is this one I should no-bid and walk away from?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Scott
Post 1 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
Its one of those things where you really hope they can stitch it, but the bigger you get the lower the odds- It was a while ago, like '14, but they barely got my 15K sqft home stitched. They've gotten much better, but its a crap shoot-

Pricing- they are sales people Scott, no matter what you do they are going to try and negotiate it. I would go in high, and see what they say. lets do some thinking here-
Lets use matterports numbers of 2,000 sqft an hour- that means it will take 45hrs to complete- multiply by your hourly rate (the minimun you would charge for an hour of your time)
Your Matterport expertise- dont discount this, they could go buy a camera and shoot the space if they wanted too
Any extra services you are adding in- And there is your number-

I wouldn't want to do this for under $5000, probably send an original quote in at 9K and say we are giving them a 10% discount from retail- or shoot it for less, maybe 3K and bump your hosting charge to 300-500/mo with a 1 year min. For my commercial clients, I like to know the budget they are allocating before I even quote a project to know if its worth my time, as I have been at the close only to find that they were way under budget for any kind of 3D scanning work (3 cents a sqft)... Live and learn right?!

Also make sure you have a contract signed that explicitly states that payment is due no matter how the model comes out since you already explained that it maybe an issue. That's probably the most important

Walking away is worse than a no if you ask me
Post 2 IP   flag post
tocha private msg quote post Address this user
sbl110 Have you presented the idea of using Threesixty.tours to represent the full space with separate models for sales, service, and showroom?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hi Tocha,

As I mentioned in my original post, the client is looking for the dollhouse view and wants everything under one roof -- so to speak. I've already suggested breaking up sales and service as separate scans. I'm going to submit a proposal with a "no guarantee" clause and see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Scott
Post 4 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
I can provide you with a solution for large rooms and stitching. I've done a 45K sqft factory on 3 different floors a few weeks ago. You can see it as an improved MP Workshop. If you want more details, PM me!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hi Everyone,

Just got the rug pulled out from under me. When I emailed to confirm our next appointment, I received a reply that stated:

"My apologies, I thought you were coming in today and figuring out the maximum square footage the software allows."

Then the next sentence:

"At this time we are going to forego the virtual tour. Thank you for your time."

So they were going to let me come in, spin my wheels and then give me the boot? Nice. Sorry to have wasted the time of everyone who responded.

Scott
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@sbl110

No worries ...

It's a great question about scanning 90,000 SQ FT: both how to and how much.

I will ask Planitar (iGuide) Co-Founder and CEO Kevin J. Klages (@Kevin_iGuide) on WGAN-TV Live at 5 (5 pm EST today | GMT -5) today, Thursday, 16 November 2017 about if iGuide was used for this project versus Matterport.

1. Why iGuide versus Matterport for this project?
2. How long it would take?
3. What would the iGuide charge be to the Pro?
4. Any technical issues about a project this size for iGuide?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod
Im not OP, but I would think Iguide, Real.Vision, Cupix etc would all be better options that Matterport on this one strictly because of the sqft- But @sbl110 made it sound like the reason the dealership wanted it was because of the dollhouse, obviously, that is currently only offered by matterport.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hi Dan,

No disrespect, but the client specifically wanted the dollhouse and an automated tour which tells me that she didn't care about Matterport's ability to explore a venue. I looked at the iGuide info and didn't see anything resembling a dollhouse view. They had a schematic, but that's not the same.

Wow, JakeRees just beat me to the punch.

Scott
Post 9 IP   flag post

Here's 700+ scans on 3 floors.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Hi Nicholas,

First that's amazing. I've got some questions:

1. Approximately how many square feet is this?

2. Did you do this in a single model, or did you layer it? By that I mean did you stop scanning at a certain point, copy the model, then add by X number of increments, then repeat? This is what Matterport tech support suggested I do.

3. Any chance we could see the finished model?

It's nice to know that Matterport has the ability to scale to this level. Honestly, I was a little relieved when the project I had on the table was pulled -- and at the same time, I would have liked to try it to see if it could be done.

Thank you for sharing.

Scott
Post 11 IP   flag post
The scan is a full factory with 45Ksqft production floor + basement and offices. I did follow the limit of 200 scans and simply made a model using the point clouds as positionning references from the Beta program. Last step is to generate a new model, generate normals, validate orientation, bake texture, and insert into our user interface. Overall, this was a 3 days work project.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I can't share the model, this is under NDA with my client. We do engineering work, so I can't make it public. You could always bid on the job, and we could work together to make it happen!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd share a scan that my son found [...]. It's supposed to be 200K sq. ft. As you walk through it, either they deleted a great number of scans, or did just the bare minimum to create the dollhouse. At any rate, it's very large indeed. Sorry, I don't have any details about who did it, where it's located, etc. It's obviously a distribution center.

Scott

Post 14 IP   flag post
101641 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?