Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceGrocery StoresNavigation

Artifacts in Matterport model; Help Please5480

Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
I am trying to finish up this Grocery Store scan and have found some areas that throw chunks of building at me when I move forward. Is there a way to correct this?

I can’t get the screen shots to upload. The issues are along the back wall of the store, Meat Department and Dairy wall. This scan was over 30000 sq ft, according to the manager.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Lizzg

(The model will not load on my iPhone. It may be too big.)

Is it possible that you have trim lines that are in the affected areas?

Dan

PS I am walking; likely to be slow to reply.
Post 2 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think so. All I see is the chunks coming at you during the click to the next spot but it does not stay once the model stops moving ? That what you are referring to if so NOPE there is nothing that can happen and that is just OK with anyone I have ever showed this to and it happens all the time.
Just my opinion...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Thanks,

I’m going to change some marks and upload again.

Lizzg
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@Lizzg

I believe you are referring to the above (screen grab)?

If you use the window trim tool to mark the dairy case - treat it like a window - that should solve the puzzle. If it does not, try marketing the dairy case with the mirror trim tool.

I could imagine what is happening now is that the data capture is confused about the glass (that is acting as a mirror reflecting data back into the Space).

You might also ask Matterport Support and see what they say by sending them a link to this discussion. (Please do share their reply too.)

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DanSmigrod

BTW, this video about scanning mirrors and windows is likely helpful for the dairy cases and other reflective areas in your retail store model (congrats; exciting to see).

Video: Scanning Mirrors and Stairs

WGAN Basic, Standard and Premium Members receive an All Access Pass to the We Get Around Matterport Training Academy videos. Please see your Welcome Onboard Letter for the password.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
wlee1684 private msg quote post Address this user
(oops double post)
Post 7 IP   flag post
wlee1684 private msg quote post Address this user
The only thing I can think of: I notice there are people walking around in some of the shots. If it picks them up it could cause issues like this.
Post 8 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I'm getting a lot of these lately. One of yours blocks the way from dairy to produce. It's not the shoppers. MP interprets certain lighting conditions as 3D objects, just like it can do with mirror reflections. I have a large iceburg floating in the middle of a living room in a beach house I did last week preventing navigation. Support is working on it. I think it's bright lighting outside. I once had a bright spectral reflection from a window on shiny wood floor returned as a path-blocking artifact. That one I rescanned at a different time of sun angle to fix. Try marking all the light emitting planes as mirrors, but I doubt it will fix.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Thanks @DanSmigrod, I agree on the mirror markers, I think I’m going to mark the produce as well. This was great fun until people started showing up and getting in every scan. It is had to get the store staff to redirect traffic which caused many stop and restart scans. At some point, I took the good enough stance as it was going on 8 straight hours.

I know this could have been perfect, so I’m disappointed that I couldn’t get it accomplished.

@HarlanHanbright, I’ll see if I can get some help from support. I just learned that Glenn the superhero is no longer there! ☹️

Thanks,

Lizzg
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@LizzG I noticed some floating scatter near the coffee bar... otherwise, overall, the tour is pretty clean. You might use a mirror marker on the coffee bar to discourage it from doing this. Unfortunately, with the exception of marking walls, results will vary.

I am very hopeful that we will eventually get a MESH editor that will allow us to disable chunks from appearing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
brimtickle private msg quote post Address this user
I had an issue with floating scatter caused by people walking past when I scanned a hotel and fixed it with a 'trim sandwich'. Maybe this will help https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/208861198-I-can-t-move-into-an-area-because-of-an-invisible-wall
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

MESH editor. Cool!

@Lizzg

Looking forward to hear Matterport Supports r commendations to see if it ‘meshes’ with the advice here...

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@brimtickle

Thanks for sharing that Link. Most helpful except for the tip to “take the door off the hinges” ....

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Thanks everyone, I am going to try a “sandwich” for the floating islands. Maybe I can trim them out? Currently emailing support as well.

Lizzg
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Lizzg

How did your "sandwich" turn out?

Any news from Matterport Support on how they would recommend handling it?

Did you end up trimming the glass cases as mirrors or windows and what was the result?

Best,

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Hi Dan,

Still waiting on the Sandwich test. I will report when I get the results!

Lizzg
Post 17 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Tim at support is working with me on this now. The sandwich test seemed to create more trouble with the exception of the meat department, where things were improved. I created more blocked areas with my sandwiches, perhaps my technique needs work.

I will post Tim’s rework when I get it.

Lizzg
Post 18 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Hi Everyone,

This is the final version of this scan. I had help from Matterport Dee and Matterport Jack to get the cleanest version. Just remember to be very insistent about traffic control when building your space. Moving people can cause trouble with mesh and create some “interesting” artifacts. This store is almost 3 Times larger than the first store I scanned!

Thank you Forum Members for your help with this one.

Lizzg

Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Scanning a Santa Barbera Grocery Store is the topic on WGAN-TV Live at 5 (5 pm EST | GMT -5) today, Tuesday, 14 November 2017.

Matterport Service Provider Liz McDermott (@Lizzg) in Santa Barbera, CA will share her experience scanning grocery stores with an emphasis on:

✓ best practices
✓ what not to do
✓ scanning workflow

Whether you are scanning grocery stories – or other large spaces with Matterport - this is a great learning opportunity.

I look forward to learning with you from @Lizzg

Best,

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is the recording ....

WGAN-TV - 45 Tips: Scanning Grocery Stores with Matterport from Santa Barabara, CA based Liz McDermott (Liz G Photography | www.lizgphotography.com | Engage This Pro)

✓ best practices
✓ what not to do
✓ scanning workflow

Best,

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
101436 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?