Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseMy First ScanNewbiesProblemsTips

My First Scan... What could I do better?5479

erikolsonmba private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan for approving my membership so quickly this sunny-sunday morning. I am a drone pilot in my area that saw the need for something better than homesight and look2homes for realtors. I did some research and found matterport (sorry I did not find you guys in that search... I wish that I had).

I got the full pressure of Michael at Matterport to join about 2 months ago, but held him at bay. In the past 2 months I talked with some realtors and with other real estate professionals. I found out that Matterport is all over my area, but no one is really using it!!!!

Earlier this week I set up an appointment to talk with a realtor. I thought I knew what they had (look2homes) and that I could blow them away with the "links" Matterport gives you, uploading to Zillow, etc, etc, etc....

I was smacked with a BIG FAT NO.

I proposed what looked to be good pricing, however there were some major holes.

1. I only offered the 3D Tour, no still images.
2. If I charged for still images, I only was doing 10 ~ MLS max is 40 and that is what competition offers.
3. No proof of work! I bought the camera to "show off" but had not taken any scans...

Walking away like a wounded pup, I said to myself... Thank the Lord for the 30 day return policy!!!

Notice I said I had bought the camera... I learned that my tripod was crap and that I needed to order the Manfrotto 190xPro4 (best deal on Amazon.com over the standard or the Pro3). That and the plate I ordered were another $250... SO I could not even prove my work until they showed up!!!

NOW I HAVE THE CAMERA & TRIPOD

It took me about 3 hours to shoot this property yesterday... (mainly because I staged it by removing all of the personal items from door hangers, countertops, took footstools out of rooms, etc

I see some problems with it, but I wanted to get your opinions of my experience so far. I plan to upgrade to a paid membership here, but I wanted to test the waters first.

Have at it!
Post 1 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
Great first scan.

My most important suggestion is get WP3D models and buy vanity urls for each property. I.e. Www.123mainstreet.com it has very useful tools to build single property website and has a place for drone videos. It will make you stand out from your competition.

I would make the starting point somewhere on the main floor.

When scanning, try to keep lines straight and make 90* turns.

Hide your extra scans.

Downstairs you had a door open to a storage room. I would have either left it closed or scanned in it.

It took me a few scans to get straight lines and they are not perfect now!

Do you take pictures or just using snapshots?
Post 2 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Why did you not go out back ? You can also trim the front area so the doll house view looks cleaner.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@erikolsonmba

Thanks for joining the WGAN Forum and posting your first Matterport Space 3D Tour.

About your presentation:Quote:
Originally Posted by @erikolsonmba

Earlier this week I set up an appointment to talk with a realtor. I thought I knew what they had (look2homes) and that I could blow them away with the "links" Matterport gives you, uploading to Zillow, etc, etc, etc....

I was smacked with a BIG FAT NO.

I proposed what looked to be good pricing, however there were some major holes.

1. I only offered the 3D Tour, no still images.
2. If I charged for still images, I only was doing 10 ~ MLS max is 40 and that is what competition offers.
3. No proof of work! I bought the camera to "show off" but had not taken any scans...

Walking away like a wounded pup ...

Rather than "selling" based on price and features (and struggling with lack of 2D images and experience), how about asking leading questions? For example:

1. Do you get as many listing presentation opportunities as you would like?
2. Do you win 100 percent of your listing presentations?
3. Are your listings as big as you would like ($$$$ not size)?
4. Are you selling as many homes as you would like?

Real estate agents are typically sales people that are independent contractors. They care about winning more and bigger premium listings more often. You must establish a problem: then solve it. Free would be too much, if you don't get agreement on their pain point that you can help solve.

I encourage you to watch this We Get Around Matterport Training Academy video on how to pitch Matterport to real estate agents and brokers ...

WGAN-TV: How to Pitch Matterport to Real Estate Agents and Brokers

By the way, We Get Around created a Win More and Bigger Premium Listings Calculator to help agents and brokers visualize doubling their revenue by engaging a Matterport Pro.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasMeyers
Why did you not go out back ? You can also trim the front area so the doll house view looks cleaner.

Great point! As you saw, there is a great deck and the basement walks out to water. I noticed in the front lawn that scanning did not go well. I simply ran out of time to shoot this. It is a family member so I was given access all day but the weekend kid schedule took up rest of the daylight. Can I go back and add scan points once it is published? If I can, I will go back over there on Tuesday and shoot the missing areas and redo anything you all suggest.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Sure just pick up where you left off and there is no charge to reupload...
Good Luck
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@erikolsonmba

Thanks for joining the WGAN Forum and posting your first Matterport Space 3D Tour.

Thanks Dan! I will look though your suggestions. I really like how involved you are with helping newbies like me.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@erikolsonmba

You might have to try a few times to get it to align but it will if not on the first time.

When scanning outside, it is much easier when the sun is setting. I guess you could do it while it is rising but who wants to get up that early!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@justinv

Thanks for the tips. I look forward to trying this out and updating the model.

I am just overwhelmed by the resources offered here. Need to systematically work though everything and start with the basics.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@erikolsonmba

If this isn't a paid scan, Just have fun and get to know the camera and its limits. We all figure something new almost every time we scan or overcome a new obstacle. When you find something else you need to figure out, post here and someone is bound to answer pretty quick.

Just practice the basics to get a great scan, then you can start getting a little fancy.

I scan outside when they have a fabulous outside area that I feel is a selling point. Sure you could do 360 photos but how fun is that?

If you want to see a few examples, Just let me know.

Good luck and let the forum know when you habe a question.
Post 10 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @erikolsonmba,

Here are 10 tips that may or may not apply directly to your first scan, but I think they are good to know for anyone starting out with Matterport or for anyone else that might not be completely happy with the way their scans have been turning out. Please keep in mind, that these are just some best practice that I have used, but by no means are they hard fast rules that must be followed.

1) Set your camera height so that the top of the camera is between 55 inches and 60 inches. This will give good proportions for the user when navigating the space in first person view and will produce better snap shots (than a higher camera angle) if you choose to take them.
2) When starting your first scan, orient your camera so that the handle is pointing away from the front door (assumes the front door is on the lowest level). This will orient the mini model in the capture app so that the front of the house is on the bottom of the screen. This will make it easier for you to associate the orientation of the model to the real space.
3) Start on the lowest level first and work your way up.
4) Stairs leading from one level to another should be associated with the lower level, but do not switch floors in the capture app until you have a few (3-5) scans on the next level up. Once you are at the top of the stairs, instead of switching to floor 2, scan 3-5 more spots on the second floor and then move those 3-5 scan points to the second floor. This will ensure you always have alignment when transitioning from floor to floor.
5) If possible, scan spaces that are located directly behind mirrors (especially large mirrors) before you scan the space with the mirror. An example of this would be a bathroom with a large mirror. You will want to scan the space behind the bathroom mirror before scanning the bathroom. This will help with alignment.
6) When scanning stairs, raise your tripod up, so that the camera is between 55 inches and 60 inches above the step that it is directly over. Otherwise, when navigating up the stairs, it will give the appearance that the view is 6-8 inches lower than before.
7) Scan interior spaces before scanning exterior spaces. It is a good idea to set the expectations of your clients and make sure that they understand that it may not be possible to capture exterior spaces. However, you don't really have too many good reasons why you should not be able to capture the interior. So, be sure to get the interior done before moving outside.
8) Don't be afraid to lower your tripod to minimize the blind spot under the camera. This is particularly helpful in tight spaces or if you want to capture the side of furniture that is located close to a wall.
9) When scanning, the camera is only capturing information when it is stationary. So, when placing the camera, point the handle of the camera in the direction you will be going to hide. If there are no reflective surfaces around, this will give you an additional 25-30 seconds to hide before the camera sees you. This also happens to give you just enough time to move the camera, once it is done scanning, to the next position before it is ready to scan again. Remember, the camera does not need to be perfectly level in order to align properly. It has a 15 degree tolerance, so be sure to use that in order to maximize your efficiency.
10) When marking your model, be sure to mark both sides of the windows if you scanned on both sides. This will produce a more pleasing dollhouse view with solid windows. Otherwise, it looks like some of the windows were broken out in the dollhouse view if they are not marked.

Hope that helps!
Jon J
Post 11 IP   flag post
@JonJ

Thanks! That will help me tons and go a long way.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

Great stuff.

Thanks SO much for sharing ...

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
IanA private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

Would you be able to clarify your no. 5 point?

5) If possible, scan spaces that are located directly behind mirrors (especially large mirrors) before you scan the space with the mirror. An example of this would be a bathroom with a large mirror. You will want to scan the space behind the bathroom mirror before scanning the bathroom. This will help with alignment.

What do you mean by spaces directly behind mirrors? I'm a newbie at this.

Ian
Post 14 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @IanA,

I would be happy to clarify. When you scan a space with a mirror, the camera and software will interpret the information gathered and assume that there is a space beyond the mirror (which happens to look exactly like the reflection in the mirror). That reflected space will appear in the capture app and may cause alignment errors with future scans (especially with scans that are in the room on the opposite side of the mirror where the reflected space now appears) even though the mirror has been marked with the Mirror marking tool. I have found that it is easier to simply scan the rooms on the other side of large mirrors first (if possible) in order to avoid this challenge.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need additional clarification.

Thanks,
Jon J
Post 15 IP   flag post
IanA private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Jon! Great explanation.

Ian
Post 16 IP   flag post
101429 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?