Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DystopianMarketingMatterport Competes with MSPsPricing

Why I am participating in the pilot5040

Hopscotch private msg quote post Address this user
Dear We Get Around Forum Members,

Because I am one of the companies participating in the Matterport/MSP 3D scan pilot, I want to contribute to the discussion and let you know why I agreed to participate, and to also alleviate some of the confusion around this experiment. First, some backstory.

When I first started my business in the Bay Area almost two years ago, there weren’t MSP’s, because the acronym MSP didn’t exist yet. MSP is a community/marketing program that was developed later, and has now become a tribe of Matterport Service Partners all over the globe.

I have talked to MSP’s in the USA, Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands, for example, and I am always impressed at the entrepreneurship and tenacity that everyone exhibits. There’s never been a company or a product quite like this one, and so every day we are all learning what it’s like being on the cusp of new technology, and the ups and downs that go along with the choice to sell it.

Furthermore, it’s not easy to start a business from scratch, nor to augment an existing business with new offerings. And, to do that at scale is incredibly daunting when you have to figure that out for yourself (which is why this community has been thriving for so long).

Back in 2015 my idea was to get a camera and then do some shooting because I loved the technology and believed that it was the best marketing tool I had ever seen, and if that went well, I would quickly hire and train shooters to help me spend my time on the things I do best, like networking and selling, and having fun along the way. While I’ve learned a lot, I am still learning, and I wanted to figure out how I could do it better.

The pilot program is a way for me, and I hope for all of us, to quickly gain insight into which levers need to be pulled to reach a large untapped marketshare that is currently not buying Matterport in any form - not from MSPs, and certainly not from Matterport.

It’s an experiment in scale. Yet, because of the implications, I have had mixed feelings about this program, initially because of the price, and I don’t want to undercut other MSP’s (starting with myself). And at first I was fixated on that one metric, but price is relative. There is a high price to me in sourcing every lead myself, there is a high price to me closing every lead myself, and there is a high price in me shooting every property myself.

That price is my time. That’s why I wanted to see if it works. I’m sharing this, because I’m advocating all the way for this to be a program that works for everyone, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll be the first to express that.

I’m remaining cautiously optimistic about this, and I’ve had to rethink the way I view my camera-work a bit, but it’s too soon to know if it will be successful or not. In the meantime, I’ll follow this thread and take all of the considerations to heart.
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
As far as my time once all the Realtors in my area know I am here (and they already do) it's repeat business from there. This idea still undercuts us all and makes us look cheap and thats the Last thing we want our clients to think.
Maybe thats just me ???
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
EricThomas private msg quote post Address this user
The issue with this pilot program is they are attempting to make a 1 size fits all. That cannot and will not work all over the world.
Major difference between a MSP or group of MSP's working together and making a franchise or group pricing. Its another thing when the actual manufacturer is involved.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
....and it undercuts the entrepreneurial efforts of several start ups who are trying to do the same. But, bully for you!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@Hopscotch Thank you for your transparency and openness. I hope you do well with this program.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DougTse private msg quote post Address this user
@hopscotch Best of luck with you and your business. I'll be continuing my worth of business to my organic clients and not to be undercut due to low-cost pricing especially collaborating with the direct company of the camera product.
It's like a franchise-owner asking directly to McDonald's corporate how-to-sell more of my hamburgers in my location because business is bad. By slashing price that would attract customers directly to my business even if the another franchise is several miles down.

The main question is who are you collaborating with?? Entrepreneurs or corporate direct. The ad shows that you're with Matterport. I have not had the privilege to be working with Matterport directly.

This is my honest and sincere opinion.

It would have been much better if you had decided to advertise Hopscotch to the pricing promotion. Now that Matterport is backing it, every viewer assumes all pricing is at that cost.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopscotch
I would quickly hire and train shooters to help me spend my time on the things I do best, like networking and selling, and having fun along the way. While I’ve learned a lot, I am still learning, and I wanted to figure out how I could do it better.

Looks like a lot of people in this forum are eager to rush their goals to outsource the work in order to make money off the backs of others. Matterport claims anyone can do it.

Race to the bottom and see who's still standing, pay someone just above minimum wage to shoot so you can advertise in other regions undercutting other providers you compete against.

Good luck with the price slash in one of the most expensive markets to live in, on this planet.
Post 7 IP   flag post
PedroAvilez private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for your transparency.
Post 8 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
@Hopscotch I know you are an honest transparent person and look forward to seeing the results of the pilot program.
Post 9 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@Hopscotch

How long has this pilot been going on and how many jobs have you landed with this pricing structure?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
@DouglasMeyers

Here's the problem as I see it will hiring MSP to do tours for listings. Not trying to put a damper in your enthusiasm. While I think virtual tours are going to be the norm, the industry seems to be adopting it slowly! When I looked at Matterport for myself it was simply a calculation of do I want to invest in my company or do I want to constantly pay someone else. I personally think 3D/virtual tours are amazing and I love technology so why not do that in house. I have to believe this is how many realtors who are planning to be big time see it.

That being said I did reach out to a local matterport owner and planted the idea to buy a half share in his camera. He was thinking about it and was not sure how much he was going to be using it and didn't want to have a usability/scheduling conflict. He was going to see what was going to happen to his business before making it a joint venture. A partnership or something of greater value interest me! Now that the Pro2 came out I am not really super interested in buying a share in his camera. I'd rather have the Pro 2. I am going to hire him since my volume of clientele is not worth having monthly subscription to Matterport. So in some ways it is a win-win.

It also seems that Matterport keeps making one mistake after another(what I have gathered from this forum). Another reason I am not in a huge hurry to buy their camera.

Anyways...thanks for the helpful discussions! Wishing you all well!
Post 11 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
I appreciate your openness and sharing this info.

It is your business and you every right to do your best to make money. With that said I really think this move in not in your (or anyone who owns a camera's) best interest.
Post 12 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@Hopscotch I hear what you're saying, but honestly it sounds naive...

@Everyone I hope this issue doesn't continue to blow up in everyone's faces because it won't just be the Bay area that suffers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Hopscotch

Thank you SO much for your thoughtful backstory. I - we - appreciate your insight (as well as @BillRobinson )

About the San Francisco trial, please help me understand what success might have looked like at scale for you? What would have been the best possible result?

Even if Matterport could send you all the business you could want at the prices it publishes - and whatever the revenue share - I can not imagine how that income would have be sufficient for you.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
101429 14 14