Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdvicePricingSales TaxTax

Add Sales Tax to Still Image Pricing?4939

Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
I have "spread my wings" and added still imagery (DSLR photography) to our offerings. In my research, I have found that "digital images" which we deliver for a price are subject to sales tax and I am required to fix a price for them - I am not allowed to just say the cost of the service includes the labor and the photo images.

I really don't have an issue, except I am not sure how to price the images. I am considering doing something similar to the local photo developing store and say "each image delivered is $1.00".

I want to be up front with the customers. Shall I include the sales tax in the price (effectively lowering the price of the image?) Do I add the sales tax onto the price?

We have a 6% sale tax, so the image is either [$0.94 plus .06=$1.00] or it's [$1.00 plus .06=$1.06]. Frankly, my business partner prefers the latter. I prefer the former because it makes the customer's book keeping easy.

What do other forum members do?
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I charge about $125.00 for extra photos, now I have been taking Real Estate photos for 12 years.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
I charge $5 for each image delivered. Typically, this is 30 or so. I cut the price in half if the client does a concomitant Matterport.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Are you positively sure you need to add sales tax on digital image sales in your state? Most RE photographers do not add sales tax, unless they deliver a tangible physical product.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
We never charge sales tax here (MS/AL/FL) since we're not typically selling anything. We are granting a license to use our materials. It's a service here and generally not taxable. If I operate a studio for the general public and turn out hard photos or DVDs of photos or other hard goods, then it's possible that we would need to collect and pay sales taxes.
Post 5 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@JohnLoser,
Are you currently charging tax for your Matterport services? Here in SC, the is no tax on digital goods, just as many have stated above.
Jon J
Post 6 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
I am in Kentucky. The law here allows the labor and digital streaming of the models (3dTours) to be tax fee, but it specifically states that delivered digital images are subject to sales tax. Therefore, we need to have a price for them. The realtors expect a price of about $150 or less for a 2000sqft house. This includes images.
Post 7 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @JohnLoser,
I am not a tax professional, but based on http://www.grassifranchiseservices.com/~jbcpapcc/files/Kentucky%20-%20Sales%20And%20Use%20Tax%20Chart.pdf

and the regulation it references http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/103/027/120.htm,

I would not think the photos that you are delivering are subject to tax. If I were you, I would seek advice from a competent tax professional who has experience with working with the delivery of original digital assets.

Jon J
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Another way around the tax would be to not charge for the photos themselves, but charge only for the delivery... but again, I'm not a tax professional.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101641 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?